• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future of Cricket, suggestion to the ICC

Do you agree?

• Yes with all of it.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Yes with most of it.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Yes with some of it.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • No, I don't agree with any of the ideas.

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Cricket is one of the best sports played in the world. It has various forms of the game but three of them are recognized by the ICC- Test cricket, One-day International cricket and last but not least Twenty20 International Cricket. Since the ICC don't want Twenty20 to take over ODI's but still be formal, the ICC should:
*Put a Twenty20 raking system into affect for it.
*The mandatory minimum requirements of at least 1 Twenty20 International,home and away, against every other Full Member over a period, while still would schedule rest periods for their players.
*It should have a limit of 10 Twenty20 Internationals (instead of the confusing 3 home Twenty20 matches/year), just like 15 Tests and 30 One Day Internationals per calendar year per country averaged out through the 6 FTP year plan.
*Associate teams right now works hard to get ODI status then eventually Test status, what if ICC created Twenty20 status. This form of the game can be played competitively between any sides, be it a full member vs a associate. ICC should give Twenty20 status out to a broader number of nations who could compete in the Twenty20 level then try to gain ODI status then eventually test status!
*The second Twenty20 World Championship should be a knockout tournament(the form being fast pacing so should it's tournament) consisting 32 teams making cricket really a global sport; ten full members and the top 22 associates from the ranking systems. Even though this tournament would have more teams, it would not have more value than the World Cup, first of all because the World Cup is the most pure tournament with the best teams(currently 16) playing the more pure form of the sport ever to be played in a tournament for more than 30 years. Secondly, while the world cup is played every four years, which is like sacred, the Twenty20 World Championship would be played every 2 years making it the junior tournament. Twenty20 is a junior compared to it's older brothers ODI's and Tests so it's tournament would also be a junior to the world cup; sort of like a mini world cup for the mini form of ODI. But the ICC still needs to take advantage of what they can, which is more teams can participate competitively in it. So the knockout tournament with 32 teams would have 29 matches played in 15-18 days and have its own values that would make it different from the world cup.

Example:
Knockout Stages
1st Round 2nd Round Quarter-finals Semi-final Final
[Day 1-8] [Day 9-12] [Day 13-14] [Day 15-16] [Day 18]

1.Australia vs 32. Gibraltar
vs
16.UAE vs 17. Denmark

VS

8.England vs 25. Afghanistan
vs
9.Bangladesh vs 24. Cayman Islands

VS

5.India vs 28. Papua New Guinea
vs
12.Ireland vs 21. USA

VS

4.Pakistan vs 29. Tanzania
vs
13.Scotland vs 20. Hong Kong

VS

3.New Zealand vs 30. Nepal
vs
14.Bermuda vs 19. Canada

VS

6.Sri Lanka vs 27. Uganda
vs
11.Kenya vs 22. Italy

VS

7.West Indies vs 26. Jersey
vs
10.Zimbabwe vs 23. Norway

VS

2.South Africa vs 31. Germany
vs
15.Netherlands vs 18. Namibia

The ICC needs money for their Development Program to spread the sport. But the only events they get the financial help is from the ICC Cricket World cup and ICC Champions Trophy. Unfortunately, the Champions Trophy is not really helping cricket and does not have any value because it's very similar and only four months away from the biggest thing in cricket- the world Cup. But the ICC needs the money, luckily they have another tournament to replace it- ICC Twenty20 World Championship. From 2012 the ICC Twenty20 Championship should be played every 2 years. The winner of the tournament would be referred as the World Twenty20 Champions and world Champions would be the winners of the world cup as it is now. The ICC cricket world cup should be going forward as it is now because there really isn't any flaws with it. The tournament is expending as more teams have the quality play in it but there should be a limit at one point where it wont expand anymore; the current tournament is being played by 16 teams in 51 matches which takes 47 days, if it expands too much with too many teams it would take too long.

These should be only two ICC Events played at the highest international men level:
2007 -World Cup & Twenty20 Championship
2008 -
2009 -Twenty20 Championship
2010 -
2011 -World Cup
2012 -Twenty20 Championship
2013 -
2014 -Twenty20 Championship
2015 -World Cup
2016 -Twenty20 Championship
2017 -
2018 -Twenty20 Championship
2019 -World Cup
2020 -Twenty20 Championship
2021 -
2022 -Twenty20 Championship
2023 -World Cup
2024 -Twenty20 Championship
2025 -
2026 -Twenty20 Championship
2027 -World Cup
2028 -Twenty20 Championship
2029 -
2030 -Twenty20 Championship
2031 -World Cup
2032 -Twenty20 Championship
2033 -
2034 -Twenty20 Championship
2035 -World Cup
2036 -Twenty20 Championship
2037 -
2038 -Twenty20 Championship
2039 -World Cup
2040 -Twenty20 Championship

Though Test cricket is too long for a tournament, the ICC has done a good job with LG ICC Test Championship. But don't you think crowning best test cricket team deserves same amount of value as handing over the world cup. Well here's another idea why not hold the crowning the of best test team every four years from 2013 then again in 2017 and so on (the blank years above). The team that was the number 1 team the most, meaning for the longest time combined in the last four years would win the Trophy for the LG ICC Test Championship. Crowning the best team in the world would be held at the ICC Awards every four years with the best team crowned and refereed as the Champions Champion.

The more you have something the less value it gets so please, for the sake of all forms of the sport don't overplay it and reduce it's value. Even playing all three forms half of their limit would be enough to please the crowd. Nothing would really affect cricket in a negative way in these changes- Champions trophy, which is in decaying position would be replaced with the exciting Twenty20 championship, more nations would play cricket, more value to the best test team and the world cup would still be the most valued tournament in cricket. Cricket truly is one of the best and global sports of the world. In most of the world the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd's are awarded, well it would be the same in cricket- 1st. LG ICC Test Championship winners, the champions champion; 2nd. ICC World Cup winners, the world champions; 3rd. ICC Twenty20 World Championship winners, the World Twenty20 Champions! The ICC Cricket World Cup will always be the top event played and Twenty20 will help it spread the game!

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
If you agree with most of it, can you let me know which you don't agree with. If you agree with some, then can you let me know which you agree with. If you dont agree at all let me know why.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It seems the ICC are really intent on getting into fan's heads, I bet that LA ICE-E is really Malcolm Speed.

adharcric

International Coach
Some of those matchups are absolute gems. 8-)

Australia vs Finland (they'd just get raped, straight up)
England vs Nepal (now there's someone England could beat in limited-overs cricket :ph34r: )
Pakistan vs Italy (imagine the Italians sledging Inzy)
Sri Lanka vs Cayman Islands (battle of the islands, I reckon no one would watch)
South Africa vs Cyprus (best one of them all, Cyprus plays cricket?)

Nishant

International 12th Man
adharcric said:

England vs Nepal (now there's someone England could beat in limited-overs cricket :ph34r: )
Sri Lanka vs Cayman Islands (battle of the islands, I reckon no one would watch)

:laugh:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Perm said:
It seems the ICC are really intent on getting into fan's heads, I bet that LA ICE-E is really Malcolm Speed.
(not to be rude but)your stupid... if malcom took this ideas then in my opinion it would make cricket better....

LA ICE-E

State Captain
adharcric said:

one-sided matches are always happens in trounaments with the best vs the worse..come on happens in all sports..and all one-sided games would be over after the 1st games for the teams (if they are going to get killed they are goin get killed in 3 hours and then go home, no waste of time with pointless matches)... plus that might happen or might not because most of these countries would get all out in around 20 or 30 overs in ODI's but this 20/20 so it favors them and since both teams are trying to hit big runs wicket are going to fall from both teams and some times results might come out in favor in of the biggest underdogs...look at football Serbia and Montenegro? some one-sided games happen in all sports...plus if even if its one-sided in some games it wont waste much of the time(3 hour max
) and because the tournament would done around 15 days with so many matches in it now compare that with the waste of time the champions trophy cause?

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
No idea where you got your teams from. Finland v Australia is an utterly ridiculous idea, period.

Finland were blown away in the last European D3 championships by the Isle of Man. Their star player went to University with me and played in our 3rd XI. They're also worse than Spain, and I've bowled one of the Spanish players. It would be more one sided than St Peter's School v St Philip's School 3rd XI and counter productive to everyone.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Neil Pickup said:
No idea where you got your teams from. Finland v Australia is an utterly ridiculous idea, period.

Finland were blown away in the last European D3 championships by the Isle of Man. Their star player went to University with me and played in our 3rd XI. They're also worse than Spain, and I've bowled one of the Spanish players. It would be more one sided than St Peter's School v St Philip's School 3rd XI and counter productive to everyone.
LOL

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
LA ICE-E said:
look at football japan vs brazil?japan supposed to get murdered but it was ok and some one-sided games happen in all sports...
I am sorry but Japan vs. Brazil is not even in the same universe as Finland vs. Australia.

Bangaldesh vs. Australia would be closer. At least Bangladesh players wouldn't get bowled by Neil (one can hope).

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Tell you What LA ICE, I agree with all youve said. Youve put a lot of effort into this, so yeah, everything youve said is great

On a serious note, if you forget the bottom 16, we could have a decent competition on our hands. Involving the next lot is a novel idea, but Cricket isnt football. You dont get shock results as big as finland beating Australia.

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
note:the tournament was an example and because ICC only has up to 30 teams ranked i had to get team 31 and 32 from out of thin air, nothing supporting it, but point is its always like that with the best vs the worse in every sport....i know cricket isn't football but anything can happen in 20/20 ....may not finland beating australia but fiji beating bangladesh,usa beating scotland, UAE beating netherlands, Oman beating Ireland, denmark beating canada, etc things can happen...okay better example from football argentina vs Serbia and Montenegro....you get shock results such as serbia & montenegro beatin argetina but you still have to give the underdog a chance....

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You've obviously put a lot of time and thought into it.

What you seem to be saying is that 20/20 could be used to develop cricket globally whilst being lucrative at the same time - idea has merit.

Biggest stumbling block will be the elite players - they wont want to be running around playing 20/20 too often

Game could develop an alternate tour like Rugby World 7s - players just below top rung concentrate on this form of game and play in non-traditional rugby venues such as Shanghai in carnival atmosphere

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
LA ICE-E said:
Example:
Knockout Stages
1st Round 2nd Round Quarter-finals Semi-final Final
[Day 1-8] [Day 9-12] [Day 13-14] [Day 15-16] [Day 18]

1.Australia vs 32. Finland
vs
16.Netherlands vs 17. UAE

VS

8.England vs 25. Nepal
vs
9.Bangladesh vs 24. Fiji

VS

5.India vs 28. Kuwait
vs
12.Scotland vs 21. USA

VS

4.Pakistan vs 29. Italy
vs
13.Ireland vs 20. Oman

VS

3.New Zealand vs 30. Zambia
vs
14.Canada vs 19. Denmark

VS

6.Sri Lanka vs 27. Cayman Islands
vs
11.Kenya vs 22. PNG

VS

7.West Indies vs 23. Uganda
vs
10.Zimbabwe vs 26. Qatar

VS

2.South Africa vs 31. Cyprus
vs
15.Bermuda vs 18. Namibia

[/B]

I started a thread yesterday about Dave Mohammad and pledged a fiver to Children In Need for every reply before the thread was locked. I knew the lack of humour on here meant it wouldn't cost me much, but we've had such a laugh at those fixtures that we've passed the hat around and raised another £70.:laugh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If you did your research properly...

1 Kenya 150
2 Ireland 138
3 Scotland 137
4 Bermuda 130
5 Netherlands 126
6 UAE 120
7 Denmark 117
8 Namibia 116
9 Canada 115
10 Hong Kong 114
11 USA 113
12 Italy 112
13 Norway 110
14 Cayman Islands 108
15 Afghanistan 106
16 Jersey 104
17 Uganda 102
18 Papua New Guinea 100
19 Tanzania 99
20 Nepal 98
21 Germany 98
22 Gibraltar 92
23 Singapore 91
24 Botswana 91
25 Fiji 87
26 Guernsey 86
27 Bahrain 84
28 Argentina 84
29 Mozambique 82
30 Oman 81
31 France 80
32 Malaysia 76
33 Zambia 74
34 Israel 74
35 Cook Islands 74
36 Bahamas 72
37 Qatar 69
38 Hellas 68
39 Nigeria 65
40 Spain 62
41 Kuwait 61
42 Japan 61
43 Panama 60
44 Sierra Leone 57
45 Belgium 56
46 Portugal 50
47 Tonga 48
48 Suriname 48
49 Ghana 48
50 Saudi Arabia 47
51 Malta 44
52 Malawi 40
53 Thailand 39
54 Croatia 38
55 Belize 36
56 Vanuatu 35
57 Isle of Man 32
58 Bhutan 32
59 Morocco 31
60 Finland 26
61 Turks & Caicos 24
62 Brunei 24
63 Rwanda 23
64 Indonesia 22
65 Cyprus 20
66 Maldives 17
67 Luxembourg 14
68 Gambia 14
69 Chile 12
70 Samoa 9
71 Iran 9
72 Slovenia 8
73 Brazil 8
74 Lesotho 6
75 Myanmar 1

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
I started a thread yesterday about Dave Mohammad and pledged a fiver to Children In Need for every reply before the thread was locked. I knew the lack of humour on here meant it wouldn't cost me much, but we've had such a laugh at those fixtures that we've passed the hat around and raised another £70.:laugh:
yeah i dont really get it and its not funny...