• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

icc rights goto espn star for $1.1 billion!!

mohammad16

U19 Captain
WOahahahahhahaa check it out

ICC rights go to ESPN-Star

Cricinfo staff

December 9, 2006

The ICC's television rights for 2007-2015 have been sold to ESPN-Star, a joint venture between ESPN and the Rupert Murdoch-owned Star network, reportedly for a staggering "$1.1 billion", double the previous amount for the same period of time. While the ICC would not disclose the amount involved, independent sources present at the meeting in Dubai confirmed that figure to Cricinfo. The issue was decided at a meeting of the ICC Board in Dubai today and the decision was confirmed by an ICC release.

Included in the eight-year period under discussion are 18 ICC tournaments with two ICC Cricket World Cups, in Asia (2011) and Australasia (2015), and a minimum of three ICC Champions Trophy tournaments. Also included are the first two ICC Twenty20 World Championships, in South Africa (2007) and England (2009), the latter taking place in the ICC's centenary year.

The telecast rights to the Indian board's matches were awarded earlier this year to privately-owned Nimbus for $612 million for four years. The bidding process took a curious turn when the BCCI threw its hat into the ring, before pulling out at the ICC meeting in Mumbai last month. Sony Entertainment Television (SET), the surprise winner of the ICC rights for the four years to 2007 for a reported $250 million, were not among the bidders this time around.

"We are absolutely delighted that, after an open and transparent process, we have what we believe to be the best deal for cricket," Percy Sonn, the ICC president, said immediately after decision was announced. "All the bids we received were of a very high standard and we would liketo thank the unsuccessful organizations for their submissions.

"However, the Board was unanimous in the view that the ESPN STAR Sports bid was the best, and we believe all of our 97 Members will gain significant benefit from an agreement with ESPN STAR Sports.

"The revenue that will come into the game as a result of this deal will ensure every one of those Members will be able to plan for the future with certainty, allowing us to make our strong sport even stronger."

Jamie Davis, the managing director of ESPN-Star, was understandably elated at having secured the bid. "This acquisition affirms our commitment to the Indian sub-continent and the world and we are absolutely delighted to bring the exciting line-up of ICC Events to millions of cricket fans globally," he said. "Our company has done pioneering work in showcasing cricket in an entertaining and informative way and we will continue to innovate and extend the excitement of cricket through to 2015."

mohammad16

U19 Captain
it seems icc doenst do a good job of allocatin the moeny they have properly, i mean this contract is HUGE, should bring about alot of good changes in the years to come provided icc uses it properly

Dravid

International Captain
Seriously one day some American channel should by the rights and show it for free on TV in America. That's like a dream for me.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Dravid said:
Seriously one day some American channel should by the rights and show it for free on TV in America. That's like a dream for me.
That makes two of us. Until then I'll keep buying PPV packages ranging from $50-$180. :(

Dravid

International Captain
You don't have to you know. There is another way and I'm sure you know of it.

I bought the India Pakistan series three times on Dishnetwork, and all three times they were $250 I believe. The Cricket pack on DirectTV is much better tbh, too bad they don't have rights to Indian games. But I was happy they showed the Ashes last year. If I remember correctly World Cup was around $300-$400. Probably the same price this time around also.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
nightprowler10 said:
That makes two of us. Until then I'll keep buying PPV packages ranging from $50-$180. :(
Come to Canada buy Rogers Digital Cable for like less than 30 bucks and watch almost all the matches!

Fusion

Global Moderator
Dravid said:
You don't have to you know. There is another way and I'm sure you know of it.

I bought the India Pakistan series three times on Dishnetwork, and all three times they were $250 I believe. The Cricket pack on DirectTV is much better tbh, too bad they don't have rights to Indian games. But I was happy they showed the Ashes last year. If I remember correctly World Cup was around $300-$400. Probably the same price this time around also.
Yeah I'm also looking forward to shelling out $300 to $400 for the next WC. Seriously if I added up the money I've spent for pay per view cricket packages all these years, I'm sure the total could've paid for a nice vacation in Hawaii!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Dravid said:
Seriously one day some American channel should buy the rights and show it for free on TV in America. That's like a dream for me.
they have it its on direct tv its called cricketplus and it has the rights to show all icc events and other matches in america i think....

thats a great deal double the amount of last time and they did some great work last time- intercontinentals, world cricket league(not yet but planned) so they just need to keep going

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
There's some economic argument to be made here about the harmful effects of monopolies, but I can't articulate it. Neil?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Samuel_Vimes said:
There's some economic argument to be made here about the harmful effects of monopolies, but I can't articulate it. Neil?
Don't understand - how does this fit the definition of a monopoly? This is only for ICC events - most of them are crap and useless anyway.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Don't understand - how does this fit the definition of a monopoly? This is only for ICC events - most of them are crap and useless anyway.
Well, my beef is that they've sold too much - gone for the (admittedly huge, it'll buy a lot of fancy award dinners to Malcolm Speed) short-term benefits of giving someone else control over their TV rights eight years into the future. Don't know if they'll be too happy with that come the 2011 World Cup, when they suddenly have nothing more to sell and still have to pay for Speed's award dinners.

Oh well. Perhaps some of it may trickle down. Doubt it tho.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
silentstriker said:
how are they crap? the champions trophy is crap... true that...but then you have the world cup/ womens world cup and the twenty20 championship i dont they are crap:sleep:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Well, my beef is that they've sold too much - gone for the (admittedly huge, it'll buy a lot of fancy award dinners to Malcolm Speed) short-term benefits of giving someone else control over their TV rights eight years into the future. Don't know if they'll be too happy with that come the 2011 World Cup, when they suddenly have nothing more to sell and still have to pay for Speed's award dinners.

Oh well. Perhaps some of it may trickle down. Doubt it tho.
its a non profit organisation so most of its money will be distrubitated to its members as they make the icc