• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The next Wasim Akram...literally...

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
I really hate to compare Mr. Wasim...but this is ridiculous....ly, similarly, exciting to watch. I was just browsing youtube cricket videos and came across this kid in under 19 pak. same action, same swing, same pace.

must watch link

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
IMO he's better than Malcolm Marshall. The only difference between the two is, you know, actual performance at the test level.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
A good ball, but then what?
You seen what he did in the final?

Incidentally Jamshed seems to be making some hay in domestic cricket in Pakistan, took his first fifer last month.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Don't see the point of saying "literally" unless he is perhaps related? But then, it'd help if he was also called Wasim Akram.

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
People are also comparing Mitchell Johnson to Wasim Akram. I dunno... it will be "the next Warne", like it is with the next "Bradman". Why can't we just say the players name in their OWN right 8-)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really hate to compare Mr. Wasim...but this is ridiculous....ly, similarly, exciting to watch. I was just browsing youtube cricket videos and came across this kid in under 19 pak. same action, same swing, same pace.
Same pace? You mean when Wasim was mid-30's right?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
JF. said:
People are also comparing Mitchell Johnson to Wasim Akram. I dunno... it will be "the next Warne", like it is with the next "Bradman". Why can't we just say the players name in their OWN right 8-)
That sort of thing is 100x worse in Football, everytime a talented youngster comes through they are always dubbed 'the next..'. I think its just the media been lazy :)

adharcric

International Coach
No problem with comparing players to legends as long as you acknowledge that the comparisons are of style and not of ability.
For example, there's a left-arm opening bowler in my college team who bowls with pace (75+) and swings the ball with accuracy and variety, just like Akram.

As for Jamshed, I want to watch him in action for Pakistan A before passing any judgments.
There are far too many players who have looked like the next Tendulkar, Warne or Akram early on and fallen flat on their faces.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
adharcric said:
There are far too many players who have looked like the next Tendulkar, Warne or Akram early on and fallen flat on their faces.
Partly because of the comparison's and all the expectations put upon them.

adharcric

International Coach
Perm said:
Partly because of the comparison's and all the expectations put upon them.
Partly that and partly the fact that they didn't really have that much ability in the first place. The problem you mention is especially severe in India and Pakistan.

Perm

It sure is, I remember when Pathan was emerging into the International scene and the comparisons with Wasim Akram flooded in from the Indian press because Pathan bowled with his left arm and swung the ball.

adharcric

International Coach
As I said earlier, making comparisons like that is alright to an extent. For example, I compared Pathan to Akram because they had similar styles of bowling initially. I also compared Dhoni to Gilchrist because they had similar attacking modes of batting. The problem comes when the bastard Indian media gets serious about these comparisons and hypes these guys up to ridiculous levels. Really is disappointing that there are so many tools in the subcontinent that get fooled by these idiots in the media.

Last edited:

Perm

It's fair to compare people with similar styles like Dhoni and Gilchrist and also Pathan to Wasim. I respect people with some cricketing knowledge if they make these comparisons based on style or a similar action or characteristic, but like you said it's when fools that don't really know that much catch on to these comparisons they warp it and start calling Dhoni the new Gilchrist and things like that.