• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Jacques Kallis so disliked?

Langeveldt

Soutie
He scores runs and he's selfish, boring and dour, only batting to boost his average.. He takes wickets, and it's because he's only doing it to boost his average, against a minnow or on an appaling pitch..

Can Jacques Kallis do anything right? What would he have to do to be considered among the likes of Tendulkar or Yousuf?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I really like Kallis as a player. I can't understand why some people don't like a player just because he bats slowly, these people are really important to cricket as a whole.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I think part of the reason is that he doesn't score runs in style, if that makes any sense. He doesn't have as many big innings in high profile matches as, say Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Inzamam, and lately Yousuf.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I really like Kallis as a player. I can't understand why some people don't like a player just because he bats slowly, these people are really important to cricket as a whole.
Balance is important, bar Prince, strokemakers bat around him.. I think he fits in nicely

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whats the point in that post?
To point out that what he could do to be perceived as less selfish is talk more.

That, IMO, is the only reason he is perceived as selfish. It's utter bull**** as far as I'm concerned, Rahul Dravid (as has been discussed before) is in many ways similar, the big difference being that he talks and Kallis doesn't. Were Kallis to explain more stuff he's done, such as those second-innings' at Centurion and The SCG, I don't believe he'd have this "selfish" rubbish thrown his way.

But Kallis is a shy guy and doesn't feel he has to explain himself to the masses, as demonstrated by his response to that fool who thought he had the right to tell Kallis he had no choice but to sing the anthem out loud.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I rate him very highly as a player.

The area I dont like him in is purely irrational but never-the-less I cant get out of my head.

He has that look about him that screams he should be in a uniform with a sjambok beating down on someone. He just looks like a nasty bastard to me.

As I said, completely unjustified and irrational but I cant get that vision of him out of my head. Obviously its not true, so Im not judging or accusing him.

Its just everytime I see him, the vision of a nasty apharteid era policeman jumps into my mind. :wacko:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"Kallis doesn't accelerate when the team needs to, unlike Dravid who does."

Thats the reason, but its not a very good one. I think he is a fine world class player.

He is a lot better than Dravid as a player but not as good a batsman. Kallis, Dravid and probably Inzy are in the 2nd tier of batsmen in WC. Not having any double centuries hurts him a lot.

First tier being Lara, Sachin and probably soon Ponting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I rate him very highly as a player.

The area I dont like him in is purely irrational but never-the-less I cant get out of my head.

He has that look about him that screams he should be in a uniform with a sjambok beating down on someone. He just looks like a nasty bastard to me.

As I said, completely unjustified and irrational but I cant get that vision of him out of my head. Obviously its not true, so Im not judging or accusing him.

Its just everytime I see him, the vision of a nasty apharteid era policeman jumps into my mind. :wacko:
I can't believe you're the only one.

As I said - Kallis doesn't give off that aura of warmth, friendliness. Not dissimilar to Geoff Boycott at all. Boycs, of course, was found by everyone who approached him to be a perfectly friendly fellow who was well-liked by those who offered him friendship. Kallis, I imagine, is similar.

I can sort of identify with that because I myself am quite similar.

I personally would guess that Kallis is a perfectly nice fellow.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Kallis doesn't accelerate when the team needs to, unlike Dravid who does."

Thats the reason, but its not a very good one. I think he is a fine world class player.
And yet in both prominent recent cases (cases where that cost the team, that is - there are many when he did such because he had every right to to such), there has been thoroughly good reason for said non-accelleration.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And yet in both prominent recent cases (cases where that cost the team, that is - there are many when he did such because he had every right to to such), there has been thoroughly good reason for said non-accelleration.
Thats why I said its not a very good reason. The times when he doesn't sticks out more than the times he does.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah I think he's a perfectly nice bloke.. Apparently some guys met him at a club in PE and although he seemed pretty shy, was a decent bloke

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thats why I said its not a very good reason. The times when he doesn't sticks out more than the times he does.
It's a completely unacceptible reason. It's a reason only perpetuated by those who don't understand the game of cricket (or those pratts like EXD who just search for every reason they can possibly find to talk down SAfricans).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's a completely unacceptible reason. It's a reason only perpetuated by those who don't understand the game of cricket (or those pratts like EXD who just search for every reason they can possibly find to talk down SAfricans).
Errr, not disagreeing with you.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
only his team mates can answer this question

i remember when he ran gibbs out and SA really needed to accelerate,
Gibbs was shaking his head and you could see that he wanted to knock his block off

but its a well known fact that kallis isnt liked much in his team

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My dislike of him as a player is largely an aesthetic judgement, really. His standard mode of play doesn’t quicken the pulse & the way he plays on occasion does leave him open to accusations of selfishness; the obvious example being his gloriously one-eyed performance in the fifth test of our last tour when he actually slowed down when he passed 100. To exaggerate his crime, he’s shown he can dismantle inferior attacks when the mood takes him. He creamed yer Zimbas for the fastest ever 50 in tests. Obviously the standard of opposition plays a part, but he seems utterly unwilling to play in any other mode than defence-first against decent bowling attacks.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
I don't really like or dislike Kallis. Him not saying a lot in the media might have had something to do with that, he just hasn't really done anything to make me particularly like or dislike him.