• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The REAL allrounders Poll

The real best allrounder

• Total voters

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Most cricket lovers would assume that Garry Sobers would win a poll of genuine allrounders but we've learned recently that this might not be the case.
So let's have a poll with the real top candidates.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Miller for me was the best 'pure' all-rounder for mine. His FC record is incredible. He actually has a true batsman's average and a true bowlers average, which is amazing. His batting wasn't quite as good in Tests, but still very good for an all-rounder, and a bowling average up there with the best.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Miller for me was the best 'pure' all-rounder for mine. His FC record is incredible.
Irrelevant. That might only show the weakness of the FC cricket he was playing. 55 Tests is enough of a sample so we can ignore his FC stats when judging him as a test player.

He actually has a true batsman's average and a true bowlers average, which is amazing. His batting wasn't quite as good in Tests, but still very good for an all-rounder, and a bowling average up there with the best.
Going by averages, he has a worse bowling average, worse strike rate, worse batting average, but more centuries compared to Imran. I still put him equal though as Imran had his peaks at different point in his career.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
On ability Botham was a better batsman than Imran as his 12 Test centuries indicate. But whereas Imran developed his more limited batting to the point where he later almost became a genuine Test batsman, Botham's batting went nowhere, he had the ability to average 45 but lacked the application of Imran. Imran was certainly the better bowler.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And this is well known by now, but last 50 Tests for Imran:

Batting Average: 51
Centuries: 5
Fifties: 14
Bowling Average: 20.12
Wickets: 195
Strike Rate: 49.1
Best: 8/60

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
On ability Botham was a better batsman than Imran as his 12 Test centuries indicate. But whereas Imran developed his more limited batting to the point where he later almost became a genuine Test batsman, Botham's batting went nowhere, he had the ability to average 45 but lacked the application of Imran. Imran was certainly the better bowler.
Yup, on batting talent Botham was certainly superior. Imran worked on his batting and though never had the skill of Botham, he applied himself a lot more and became a decent Test quality batsmen.

If I had to have someone bat for me in one game, I'd go with Botham. For bowling, its Imran and its not close.

EDIT: But early Botham was amazing. If he had been shape and avoid injuries, he would have been fantastic.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I often wonder... what would people think if Botham was told his back was in an unsuitable state to bowl after Mumbai 1981\82 (and hence never bowled again), and if he ruptured a cruciate-ligament after the first-innings of the Third Test in 1984 and never picked-up a cricket-bat again?

I think he'd probably be considered 2nd-best after Sobers. Rightly or wrongly.

You could quite possibly say the same about Imran had he not been picked so stupidly young.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I often wonder... what would people think if Botham was told his back was in an unsuitable state to bowl after Mumbai 1981\82 (and hence never bowled again), and if he ruptured a cruciate-ligament after the first-innings of the Third Test in 1984 and never picked-up a cricket-bat again?

I think he'd probably be considered 2nd-best after Sobers. Rightly or wrongly.

You could quite possibly say the same about Imran had he not been picked so stupidly young.
No he wouldn't be considered 2nd best because he wouldn't have had enough bowling to justify that place. Waqar Younis would have been the greatest bowler since Sydney Barnes if he had quit after his 33rd test, but I wouldn't have put him there because 30 tests are not enough.

Same with Botham.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I often wonder... what would people think if Botham was told his back was in an unsuitable state to bowl after Mumbai 1981\82 (and hence never bowled again), and if he ruptured a cruciate-ligament after the first-innings of the Third Test in 1984 and never picked-up a cricket-bat again? .
Alternatively, if he'd signed up with the Gooch's 1982 "rebels", and as a result, missed all of England's tests for the next 3 years, returned for his triumphant 1985 Ashes series and called it a day after the 1985/6 WI debacle?

gunner

U19 Cricketer
the way you all go on its like you seen every all rounder ever in action and think you can compare
you cant compare with stats at your disposal and by reading articles
from all the cricket i have seen i would have to say its between imran khan and ian botham with imran khan coming out on top

i cant say bradman was the greatest ever cos most of his matches were against england around then and for all we know the england attack then could've been the equivelant of the canada/ireland/uae attack of now,

and i never saw him in action so i cant call him the best ever

i can say tendulkar is the best ever odi batsman but i wouldnt let him bat for my life

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
i cant say bradman was the greatest ever cos most of his matches were against england around then and for all we know the england attack then could've been the equivelant of the canada/ireland/uae attack of now

I have absolutely nothing to say to this post.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
my point is for example in 20 years people see afridi's sixes record and should they say he was the best ever cos he could hit a 6 whenever he wanted?

or cos shoaib was the fastest ever he was the best bowler ever?
NO

you cannot base your judgements on statistics