• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Minnows - Do we need them, do they improve with us?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Are Ireland and Scotland not countries though? They deserve the right to compete as much as any other country. Geographical location has little to do with that right. And you're very shortsighted if you think that Ireland, Scotland etc. are the extent of the push for a global sport. Many other countries are trying to develop the sport to an international level. They just aren't as advanced in the process as Ireland and Scotland.

Regarding ODI status, these teams have fought to qualify for the World Cup and play against the best. Saying that they don't deserve ODI status for such rights earned is like saying Trinidad and Tobago didn't deserve international status in playing at the FIFA World Cup.
Have West Indies played as a football team, then?

Ireland and Scotland aren't separate cricketing countries - they're never, ever going to be, in all likelihood. If you see overwhelming evidence that there's more countries on the horizon who'll eventually be of the top standard, please show me?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How is it short-term vision to celebrate a victory? There is no vision involved here in celebrating a victory. Reflection, yes. Hope for the future, yes. That said, you have to start somewhere. Hopefully you don't carry this attitude into everyday life, otherwise you must be such a depressing person.

PS - Stop confusing vision with cynicism.
I don't see too many Irish on here celebrating a victory.

I see a lot of people coming-up with false visions, though.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
As I've said, I've no problem with some substandard sides in the Cup (I do have a problem with such games being given ODI status, but that's a different story), but it does annoy me when you get results like these - not because the teams haven't played well on that occasion, but because it skews the tournament off its axis.

As I've said many times, though - you're clutching at straws if you think adding Ireland is making the game more Global. If Ireland and Scotland are the best you can do, it just shows how futile the Global attempts are.
hmm no this is the best tournament formation so far-a minnow cant just win one they have to win at least to go through and after they do , you know they deserve it because they beat at least one test nation and so you shouldn't bitch like you are right now...hmm and why do you have a problem with these having odi status?the records?well every strong nation have a crack at that and its credit to the one who makes the most of it...its not like its test records or anything...plus look at how unfair batting pitches and small grounds have changed to the game...that you could bitch about but not this

well they aren't the best you can do...netherlands, afghanstan , nepal etc go read up on the development before you start bitching at it...china is going the right direction too...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I don't see too many Irish on here celebrating a victory.

I see a lot of people coming-up with false visions, though.
hmm the zim tie got 6 columns in the front page of the leading news paper of the country...also ireland is a different country..people from northern ireland can take up english citizenship but the other irish people cant

LA ICE-E

State Captain
As I've said - there's no point in such qualifying if it doesn't qualify - the main point of the World Cup is to have the top 8 teams - anything else is just preliminary. It's a question of where the line is drawn.

No, not neccessarily. We can't know what would have happened, you can simply speculate. Bangladesh might quite possibly be in a better position had Pakistan not gifted up that game.

No, they don't. Learning is not hard - it's not simply about making mistakes, it's about possessing skill. No amount of playing can manufacture that skill - and until that skill is there, you're going to gain nothing whatsoever from playing the best.

Ireland have been constantly thrashed, incidentally - last year's C&G.
Ah ireland isn't the top 8 teams but they are in the super 8

are you seriously telling me bangladesh would have gotten better without test status?

its more about the structure... but how are you supposed to see how much you have improved if you dont play the top nations...C&G isn't international cricket

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
hmm no this is the best tournament formation so far
It's not. It hasn't even get going yet. We'll see how good it is when half the Super Eight games are no-contests.
a minnow cant just win one they have to win at least to go through and after they do , you know they deserve it because they beat at least one test nation and so you shouldn't bitch like you are right now
Ireland are already through having won just 1 - and Bangladesh could quite conceivably go through without beating Sri Lanka.
hmm and why do you have a problem with these having odi status?the records?well every strong nation have a crack at that and its credit to the one who makes the most of it...its not like its test records or anything
Yes, it is. Tests and ODIs are equally sacrosanct - or, at least, should be.
...plus look at how unfair batting pitches and small grounds have changed to the game...that you could bitch about but not this
You pratt. If you're going to make criticisms at least do some research first. I've commented on said issues many times - you just don't bother to read such threads due to your own narrow-mindedness.
well they aren't the best you can do...netherlands, afghanstan , nepal etc go read up on the development before you start bitching at it...china is going the right direction too...
Until we see some real evidence, that's nothing but clutching at straws.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ireland have been constantly thrashed, incidentally - last year's C&G.
How many times will someone tell you the sides are different before you give this line up?

You're seriously making yourself look more and more stupid with this one man line of attack that clearly holds no water.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah ireland isn't the top 8 teams but they are in the super 8
Believe it or not, I noticed that.
are you seriously telling me bangladesh would have gotten better without test status?
I'm telling you they could have - as so many others did.
its more about the structure... but how are you supposed to see how much you have improved if you dont play the top nations...C&G isn't international cricket
You don't have to play the top nations to see whether you've improved, you can tell that by playing teams below that level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How many times will someone tell you the sides are different before you give this line up?

You're seriously making yourself look more and more stupid with this one man line of attack that clearly holds no water.
There's no reason at all to suggest the players in the current side are any better - if not, why did such players not play in the C&G?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
hmm the zim tie got 6 columns in the front page of the leading news paper of the country...also ireland is a different country..people from northern ireland can take up english citizenship but the other irish people cant
English is utterly irrelevant. Nationality is utterly irrelevant.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah whatever...i need to do research? well guess what im not the narrow minded one here...you are...also i do reasearch in real cricket infos and find out about things but i dont need in in threads...to know my facts...you bogus and so im going to stopp you can continue to bitch with other people but i got better things to do...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
yeah whatever...i need to do research? well guess what im not the narrow minded one here...you are...also i do reasearch in real cricket infos and find out about things but i dont need in in threads...to know my facts...you bogus and so im going to stopp you can continue to bitch with other people but i got better things to do...
You're not the most well-rounded of individuals, are you? 8-)

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Ireland are already through having won just 1 - and Bangladesh could quite conceivably go through without beating Sri Lanka.
Oh boy I havent laughed so much, when you first read this rebuttal you think it makes sense, however it only proves the flaw in the argument. Pakinstan have played 2 matches and lost them both. Bangladesh may go through with out a win against Sri Lanka, but they still got 2 more wins than India.