• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Domestic cricket overhaul in a country

adharcric

International Coach
If your domestic cricket is a of a high quality, it will serve as a much better grooming place for potential test players.
Domestic cricket should be the basic level of grooming but the A team provides a finishing touch - an opportunity to play in overseas conditions. No matter how good your home pitches may be, playing abroad is a very different experience and it separates the universal batsmen from the home soil batsmen.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Domestic cricket should be the basic level of grooming but the A team provides a finishing touch - an opportunity to play in overseas conditions. No matter how good your home pitches may be, playing abroad is a very different experience and it separates the universal batsmen from the home soil batsmen.
And yet, many of the more successful countries don't place nearly as much importance on the A teams as we do. If your home pitches are varied enough, A teams become less essential and all your first class cricketers can hone their games in different conditions instead of just the select eleven that make the A team. And thats another thing, our A team should consist of people close to making the playing Test XI, not 18 year old hopefuls.

adharcric

International Coach
And yet, many of the more successful countries don't place nearly as much importance on the A teams as we do. If your home pitches are varied enough, A teams become less essential and all your first class cricketers can hone their games in different conditions instead of just the select eleven that make the A team. And thats another thing, our A team should consist of people close to making the playing Test XI, not 18 year old hopefuls.
The "more successful countries" are missing out but they have such great domestic systems that it really doesn't matter. Until our domestic system reaches that ideal state, the A team is the best immediate option. The A team should consist of people close to making the playing XI, even if they are 18-year olds with a year (or more) of success in domestic cricket. This is not the national side - you can take more risks.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't. It's poor.

Personally I'd go back to the old C&G format - straight knockout, with all Major and Minor counties involved, plus all the Board XIs - first 2 rounds a la FA Cup with the big fish coming in in the 3rd round.

Then I'd have a combined First-Class and one-day league - same games, same everything, except a points-tally combined. This'd cut down on travel costs - massively - and make it harder to try in one form and not the other. You could include Ireland and Scotland in an ideal World.

Then, of course, you'd have the short'n'sharp Twenty20 Cup in the middle of the summer, which would be done-and-dusted ASAP, so as not to kill the golden goose.

Ideally, too, one-day league games would be 45 or 50 overs, not 40.
Can I ask why you are keeping out The Netherlands from all this?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can I ask why you are keeping out The Netherlands from all this?
Forgot you. Simple as.

Certainly I'd have 'em in the C&G knockout, and it'd be good to have them in the Championship, too. Travel costs would obviously be an issue, as would player availability, there, though. Unless I'm mistaken few if any Dutch players are full-timers?

Langeveldt

Soutie
****ing Limpopo? :) :blink: What has that got to do with Pretoria or Northern Gauteng?

Centurian is in a completely different Province and Limpopo is poor and underpopulated.

It would be like having Manchester United play at Old Trafford but calling them Cumbria.

Half of me guesses you only said that to stir the pot :laugh:

Id rather Tshwane than Limpopo and that is saying something
You realise that the Titans are the old Northern Province/Northern Transvaal, which was renamed to Limpopo a few years ago? Same place, even though Centurion is in Gauteng.. Dale Steyn comes from Tzaneen which is quite a way from Gauteng..

Eastern Transvaal/Mpamulanga/Easterns played in Benoni, which is also in Gauteng..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You realise that the Titans are the old Northern Province/Northern Transvaal, which was renamed to Limpopo a few years ago? Same place, even though Centurion is in Gauteng.. Dale Steyn comes from Tzaneen which is quite a way from Gauteng..

Eastern Transvaal/Mpamulanga/Easterns played in Benoni, which is also in Gauteng..
Yes, but Pretoria is still the key to Northerns cricket and is not in Limpopo. Noone would let it be called Limpopo.

Limpopo is a cricketing backwater.

Calling a team Limpopo when it is based around Pretoria and Pretoria is in a different Province would be commercial suicide.

Virtually all the sponsors, supporters etc come from Gauteng. The financial implications of ignoring the economic powerhouse that is Pretoria would be devastating. Also it would end up with most of the cricketers identifying with the Lions more than Limpopo. Pretoria produces most of the Titans cricketers.

Last edited:

chris.hinton

International Captain
Indian cricket needs only 6 clubs not 26 clubs

South Africa is a good system no way should it change

England.... well you know my view on that. Bring back the Minor Counties

chris.hinton

International Captain
Well some of them are rubbish worse then some English Club Sides, have them as a feeder system for the six super clubs may work

Mumbai, Delhi should be two of them

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How can such a massive population not produce a massive number of high-calibre cricketers?

If the organisation of teams is done better, it's reasonable to suggest more of that talent would get its chance to play.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How can such a massive population not produce a massive number of high-calibre cricketers?

If the organisation of teams is done better, it's reasonable to suggest more of that talent would get its chance to play.
The population is misleading. Only a very very small percentage of that population gets to play with a real bat and ball, let alone get anywhere near a cricket club.

The 50% of the people who live in a slum are light years away from a cricket ground or a cricket ball.

No chance of a cricket star coming from here, regardless of how naturally talented he may be. In England and Australia, most everyone has a chance to play some cricket (at school, nearby club) if they wish. Many choose not to obviously, but they can just take themselves down to the club, or join a school team if they want. In India, people want that, but have no way to do it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's exactly what I mean. It's all the more reason to give such people a chance.
It's pretty much impossible though. Even though the cricket watching population may be large, the actual number of people who have a shot might be similar to that of England or Australia. I wouldn't be surprised if that were so.

Could you imagine that I had never put on cricket pads, helmet or seen a real cricket pitch until I came to the United States of all places? And we used to live and breathe cricket back in India.

However talented I may have been (and I wasn't talented at all), I had no shot of making it. Irfan Pathan actually came from my area (I played with him), but he got incredibly lucky along with getting some breaks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It requires more cricket clubs being created, and more investment being made by those at the BCCI - and a slight forgoing of personal priveladges.

It's therefore not something I expect - but I can dream.

Poor people need to be helped. Obviously, that isn't the easiest task in a place with such a scale of humanity as India, but when you get the like of the BCCI being so impossibly rich, it's kinda a big injustice.