• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Tendulkar should consider quitting' by Ian chappel

Swervy

International Captain
That's a very silly line of reasoning dude.
You do realise you could say that for a lot of batsmen, especially those who've played in the post 2000 period.
so you accept that I am right on that one then?..whether you can say that about other players is irrelevent to be honest

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Jono, I don't think it's hard to fathom but you're taking the names as more than the value they actually carry. Bichel is/was not a great test bowler. Mediocre in comparison. Lee wasn't the mature Lee of now. Bracken had just got his first tests. Macgill, in and out. Only person who you would have expected more from was really Gillespie. You'd think chucking these guys together would produce a semi-decent performance - yes, you'd really think that - but they did nothing to suggest they were any good together.

And to be honest, the line-up you're talking about was a short-lived one. I think it's a far cry from being the best of the modern era. They had a certain period where they were very good, but it's achievement is far from the Aussie line-up of the past decade.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I never... ever once claimed that Indian batting line-up was the best middle order of the current era. Never did I say that. That was Richard.

All I'm saying is that it was better than Australia's, in my honest opinion, back in 2003/04.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I never... ever once claimed that Indian batting line-up was the best middle order of the current era. Never did I say that. That was Richard.

All I'm saying is that it was better than Australia's, in my honest opinion, back in 2003/04.
Alright mate, that was partly what I was disputing. Fair enough, I wasn't trying to put words into your mouth.

Swervy

International Captain

thats fair enough...maybe losing track of the debate here. I guess I was reacting to Richard saying that they were the best middle order of modern times, which is a bit steep considering the one time they might have been better than 'the best' was for a 4 test series, when in fact one of those 4 batsmen was actually struggling for form

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

that's my opinion too.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
so you accept that I am right on that one then?..whether you can say that about other players is irrelevent to be honest
It's not irrelevant at all. If all players have played in roughly similar conditions, how can you hold that against one particular player then ?

It's funny how you have ignored my real point - Laxman has averaged close to 50 in his last 60 tests (50 in fact against teams other than Bangers and Zimbabwe). How wouldn't he have made the Aussie team ahead of guys Like M Waugh, S Waugh, M Clarke, Katich ? Hell even Damien Martyn had only a marginally higher average in the same time period and Martyn didn't have to face the Aussie attack.
The only two Aussie players that I think were conceivably better than VVS were Ponting and possibly Hayden in the post 2001 era.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I just can't stop laughing at the suggestion of an Australian attack being inferior to the Indian attack IN AUSTRALIA. I don't care if it was U-15 bowlers...seriously. Think about what you're saying there, LOL!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I just can't stop laughing at the suggestion of an Australian attack being inferior to the Indian attack IN AUSTRALIA. I don't care if it was U-15 bowlers...seriously. Think about what you're saying there, LOL!
yeah, as bad as that attack was, it wasn't really worse than INdia. Perhaps just as bad, but worse, difficult to say........

Swervy

International Captain
in general, the Indian bowlers bowled better than the half fit, decimated Australian attack...not much to think about really

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
in general, the Indian bowlers bowled better than the half fit, decimated Australian attack...not much to think about really
Haha, no. No chance at all, not in Aussie conditions. The prospect of an Aussie bowling attack outbowled by an Indian attack in Australian conditions, and over a whole series is ludicrous. It has never happened in my lifetime, and likely never will.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What about Munaf,Sreesanth,Zaheer and Kumble?.
I assume you mean on our next trip over? Lee, Clark, Tait, MacGill? With two of those bowlers able to go at 95mph and another with almost McGrath-like accuracy? If you put all four of our bowlers together, perhaps we can match one of theirs.

No chance of us outbowling that.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haha, no. No chance at all, not in Aussie conditions. The prospect of an Aussie bowling attack outbowled by an Indian attack in Australian conditions, and over a whole series is ludicrous. It has never happened in my lifetime, and likely never will.
India in Australia 1985-86: Tests 1, 2, 3.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nehra bowled like crap... because he is crap.
Zaheer was unfit.
AA was serviceable, and excellent in one innings.
Kumble was good.
Pathan was on debut, bowled some crud, bowled some jaffers
Murali Kartik and Harbhajan played 1 match each, both did nothing special.

Tell me how Bichel, Williams, Bracken, Lee for the last 2 tests and Gillespie for the 2nd and 4th weren't better? Williams would have made that Indian team in Sydney and Adelaide, probably Melbourne too. That's saying something because Williams is fat.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nehra bowled like crap... because he is crap.
Just a side note. I thought Nehra was a pretty talented bowler who suffered all through his career because of being perenially injured. I remember he couldn't come to Calcutta as a part of the North Zone team for a Duleep game years back because of being injured. He may well have been played many a time in his career carrying injuries and not fully fit - some thing which should never happen.

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I assume you mean on our next trip over? Lee, Clark, Tait, MacGill? With two of those bowlers able to go at 95mph and another with almost McGrath-like accuracy? If you put all four of our bowlers together, perhaps we can match one of theirs.

No chance of us outbowling that.

Bowling at 95 mph hasn't made Brett Lee an outstanding test match bowler....he has a worse bowling average than Munaf and Sreesanth.
Tait has done nothing to suggest that he's a world class test bowler.
Kumble is a better bowler than McGill.

You seriously think that Sreesanth, Munaf , Harby and Kumble is vastly inferior to that aforementioned Aussie attack ?