• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** South Africa v India in Ireland

James

Cricket Web Owner
23 Jun 2007 - Ireland v India at the Civil Service Cricket Club
24 Jun 2007 - Ireland v South Africa at the Civil Service Cricket Club
26 Jun 2007 - South Africa v India at the Civil Service Cricket Club
29 Jun 2007 - South Africa v India at the Civil Service Cricket Club
01 Jul 2007 - South Africav India at the Civil Service

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Its a shame South Africa are (according to Majola) treating this series rather seriously in regard to squad selection. Would have been a good chance to exclude some of the older more established guys and look to use some of the lesser experienced 'fringe' players. The likes of van der Wath, Steyn, van Wyk and Morkel.

Isura

U19 Captain
Was this series planned prior to the WC? Weird how there's two powers and a minnow in a 3-team tourney.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Was this series planned prior to the WC? Weird how there's two powers and a minnow in a 3-team tourney.
Australia were India’s original opponents but they dropped out and India were compelled by their agreement with ESPN Star to play and South Africa were more than happy to help out ($$$$$$$).

Ireland, were not originally going to partake but doubtlessly their performances at the World Cup changed that.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have always been wanting to visit Ireland. I may have a good reason to bring that dream to fruition

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
don't think it is ESPN-Star who have that contract. I believe it is Zee Sports, the head honcho of which is the guy who is planning on starting the Indian Cricket League, the Packer-series like dream...

pup11

International Coach
Its good for Irish cricket that they are also getting to host a tournament and are also getting a chance to play against 2 international sides.

I think Irish cricket has the potential but the ICC needs to help them in their development too.

Craig

World Traveller
Be interesting to see how Ireland will go now. Wouldn't put it past them to beat India tbh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
don't think it is ESPN-Star who have that contract. I believe it is Zee Sports, the head honcho of which is the guy who is planning on starting the Indian Cricket League, the Packer-series like dream...
According to the Cricket South Africa press release its ESPN Star and there new channel from all reports is going live in June but you maybe right.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Captain Smith and Shaun Pollock are doubts for this series, both players are going under the knife with Smith having knee surgery.

pup11

International Coach
So if Smith misses out on this series who would lead the South Africans in this series.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So if Smith misses out on this series who would lead the South Africans in this series.
Boucher or Kallis probably. Although, Jacques does like to have some remedial work done in the off season as well.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably Boucher or Kallis, although I wouldn't mind seeing a young guy given a go. Ashwell Prince, poor ODI that he is, is looking likely as being a future South African captain.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Probably Boucher or Kallis, although I wouldn't mind seeing a young guy given a go. Ashwell Prince, poor ODI that he is, is looking likely as being a future South African captain.
Ashwell, should be lucky to be apart of any future South African ODI side, there is more of a chance of Loots Bosman getting his batting slot down the order or indeed JP Duminy. And Prince is not really the future of SA cricket, Smith is nearly four years his junior.

Perm

Ashwell, should be lucky to be apart of any future South African ODI side, there is more of a chance of Loots Bosman getting his batting slot down the order or indeed JP Duminy. And Prince is not really the future of SA cricket, Smith is nearly four years his junior.
If I was choosing the ODI side then Ashwell Prince wouldn't be involved. Unfortunately I am not, so the selectors continue to pick him. Never saying Prince was the future, but he will almost definately captain South Africa in the future.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If I was choosing the ODI side then Ashwell Prince wouldn't be involved. Unfortunately I am not, so the selectors continue to pick him. Never saying Prince was the future, but he will almost definately captain South Africa in the future.
Only if Smith is injured.

Perm

Only if Smith is injured.
Yes, but he is vice captain of the Test side I think and has captained 'A' teams before so he is qualified to do the job. Injury and form are two things that could lead to Prince captaining the side.