• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Thread

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Discussion on the host nations possible squad (XI) and what not.

For me the side or indeed the squad should incoporate these players...

Smith- Captain
Bosman/AB/du Plessis
Gibbs
McKenzie/van Wyk
Kuhn/AB/van Wyk- Wicket Keeper
Pollock
Kleinveldt/Kemp/A. Morkel/Hall
Henderson
Con de Lange/Thandi
van der Wath/de Wet
Steyn/Langeveldt

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Expect, rightly or wrongly, for Vernon Philander to get a run.

Bosman is an automatic choice and I dont think Kuhn is ready for international cricket.

Smith- Capt
Bosman
Gibbs
Duminy
de Villiers wkt
Kemp
A. Morkel
Philander
Henderson
van der Wath
Tshabalala

Id expect it to be something like that. Wouldnt automatically be my 1st choice XI but thats what I think the selectors will go with. I dont think its too far off though

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Expect, rightly or wrongly, for Vernon Philander to get a run.

Bosman is an automatic choice and I dont think Kuhn is ready for international cricket.

Smith- Capt
Bosman
Gibbs
Duminy
de Villiers wkt
Kemp
A. Morkel
Philander
Henderson
van der Wath
Tshabalala

Id expect it to be something like that. Wouldnt automatically be my 1st choice XI but thats what I think the selectors will go with. I dont think its too far off though
Philander wouldn't be an overtly bad selection, good hitter of a cricket ball, my only concern with him is that his bowling in one day cricket is comparable to that of Justin Kemp's. And considering your 'senior' pacemen in that squad are Tyron and Johan, there is every chance South Africa will leak nigh on 180.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Where's Boucher? No way you can leave him out, and he is one of the best keeper/batsmen in the world. And a HUGE hitter when needed. :(

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
PROVISIONAL SQUAD:

Graeme Smith (Captain)
Jacques Kallis (Vice-Captain)
Hashim Amla
Loots Bosman
Gulam Bodi
Johan Botha
Mark Boucher
AB De Villiers
JP Duminy
Herschelle Gibbs
Andrew Hall
Paul Harris
Justin Kemp
Charl Langeveldt
Neil McKenzie
Albie Morkel
Mornè Morkel
Andrè Nel
Makhaya Ntini
Justin Ontong
Alviro Petersen
Robin Peterson
Vernon Philander
Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn
Roger Telemachus
Alfonso Thomas
Thandi Tshabalala
Johan van der Wath

No Tyron :sleep: and Amla's selection is rather ridiculous. Good to see the likes of Harris, McKenzie and Morne Morkel in the mix but presumably and hopefully the likes of Telemachus are in the 30 for only a 'laugh'.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good squad, when you're picking 30, there are always going to be some duds.. Apparently Tshabalala is a gun at Pro20.. would like to see him get a game..

Haha, i've replied twice to this thread.. what a dud

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Discussion on the host nations possible squad (XI) and what not.

For me the side or indeed the squad should incoporate these players...

Smith- Captain
Bosman/AB/du Plessis
Gibbs
McKenzie/van Wyk
Kuhn/AB/van Wyk- Wicket Keeper
Pollock
Kleinveldt/Kemp/A. Morkel/Hall
Henderson
Con de Lange/Thandi
van der Wath/de Wet
Steyn/Langeveldt
Is that Francois Du Plessis?

The guy played at my club a few seasons ago, even then he was an awesome player, what are people's views of him in SA?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Is that Francois Du Plessis?

The guy played at my club a few seasons ago, even then he was an awesome player, what are people's views of him in SA?
Yeah. Faf is held in pretty decent regard I believe in South Africa, mainly due to his ‘adaptability’ for he bats anywhere in the top six. He also turned down a Koklpak contract last year from Nottinghamshire and CSA Vincent van der Bijl is pretty big on the kid. Although, saying that he would be slightly disappointed in that he didn’t manager to play all of the Titans games last year but with Kempie gone from the Titans, Faf should now have clear run.

Julian87

State Captain
1 Smith
2 Bosman
3 Gibbs
4 Kallis
5 Kemp
6 Pollock
7 Boucher
8 ???????
9 Botha
10 Van Der Wath
11 Ntini

jot1

State Vice-Captain
1 Smith
2 Bosman
3 Gibbs
4 Kallis
5 Kemp
6 Pollock
7 Boucher
8 ???????
9 Botha
10 Van Der Wath
11 Ntini
Same old, same old, Julian87.
I think we need more of the youngsters who can hit big.
As for Kallis, I love the guy's batting, but not in 20/20. Unless someone can put some fire and speed in him, 'cos he can hit big and far when he likes.
I'd put Hall and Nel in if there were places needed filling.

umop 3p!sdn

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jot1, "As for Kallis, I love the guy's batting, but not in 20/20. Unless someone can put some fire and speed in him, 'cos he can hit big and far when he likes." Do you not think that the fact that it is a 20/20 competition will make hime want to hit big?

1 Smith
2 Bosman
3 Gibbs
4 Kallis
5 Kemp
6 Pollock
7 Boucher
8 ???????
9 Botha
10 Van Der Wath
11 Ntini

I like that squad.

DeVilliers could fill the ??????.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
de Villiers is a must have imo.

Smith
de Villiers
Bosman
Boucher
Kemp
Kallis
Gibbs
Pollock
van der Wath
Ntini
Botha

TBH, the top 8 could go in any order and it would still be a great combo.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Do you not think that the fact that it is a 20/20 competition will make hime want to hit big?
Well, he's let us down quite badly in ODI's when we've needed him (Kallis) to, so I wouldn't take the chance. Especially as there are quite a few others waiting in line and are ideally suited to 20/20 fast scoring.