• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds speaks up for Murali

adharcric

International Coach
Yes and some people like to live life agreeing with just 1 report from a year and a half ago and not experiencing things for themselves..
Are you suggesting that there is no racial abuse at the Aussie cricket scene?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Are you suggesting that there is no racial abuse at the Aussie cricket scene?
Not 0. But I'm suggesting that if your too afraid to turn up to a cricket game in Australia in case you get racially abused, your not going to have a very exciting life.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I have no idea why you would roll your eyes at that..

If you want to watch cricket but too afraid to go into a stadium on the off chance you might get abused, it's really sad.

There are non licensed areas at grounds for starters..

adharcric

International Coach

If you want to watch cricket but too afraid to go into a stadium on the off chance you might get abused, it's really sad.

Tell you what's sad: racial abuse being thrown around at a cricket ground.

pasag

RTDAS

Not really, you go to the cricket to have fun and relax and if there's a chance that would be ruined by being abused why would you go? I know I wouldn't be racing toward attending any event where there is a possibility such things may occur and I'm sure most others wouldn't either.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not really, you go to the cricket to have fun and relax and if there's a chance that would be ruined by being abused why would you go? I know I wouldn't be racing toward attending any event where there is a possibility such things may occur and I'm sure most others wouldn't either.
To watch the cricket perhaps? I don't like people getting abused - just want to make that clear..

But there is a chance anywhere you go that you could get abused.
Is there a certain type of person who is getting abused, caused I've not noticed it all.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nufan: There are various degrees of tolerance for various people. Some Asians may choose to go to the cricket despite the possibility of getting racial abuse (I understand there is a possibility one might) as many do. Others might not want to hear such nonsense and might decide not to go. That doesn't make them a sad person.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nufan: There are various degrees of tolerance of various people. Some Asians may choose to go to the cricket despite the possibility of getting racial abuse (I understand there is a possibility one might) as many do. Others might not want to hear such nonsense and might decide not to go. That doesn't make them a sad person.
OK then fair enough. I just think it's a shame that your unable to enjoy a passion just on the off chance that someone might say something to you.

Good on Symonds anyways. I'm sure there will still be the no ball call for Murali, cause theres always a few people who find it hilarious, but I would like to think that if Murali gets the World Record in Australia there will be a standing ovation.

pasag

RTDAS
To watch the cricket perhaps? I don't like people getting abused - just want to make that clear..

But there is a chance anywhere you go that you could get abused.
Is there a certain type of person who is getting abused, caused I've not noticed it all.
There is a much larger chance of these things happening in the ground (can only talk about the MCG from experience) with people drinking and idiotic notion that all social norms go out the window because we're at a cricket game and have the right to act like hooligans. If you've ever been to the MCG, at times it's almost impossible to watch the cricket, so who needs that? Especially when it's abuse and abuse of the racial kind. I can fully understand someone like Sanz not wanting to put a foot inside there and rather watch the match in the safety of their own home.

I'm certainly not saying this is a widespread problem or even as big a deal as some of Australia's detractors might make it, but you'd have to be pretty blind to think it's not going on.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
There is a much larger chance of these things happening in the ground (can only talk about the MCG from experience) with people drinking and idiotic notion that all social norms go out the window because we're at a cricket game and have the right to act like hooligans. If you've ever been to the MCG, at times it's almost impossible to watch the cricket, so who needs that? Especially when it's abuse and abuse of the racial kind. I can fully understand someone like Sanz not wanting to put a foot inside there and rather watch the match in the safety of their own home.

I'm certainly not saying this is a widespread problem or even as big a deal as some of Australia's detractors might make it, but you'd have to be pretty blind to think it's not going on.
The bold part is basically my point.

LIke I said before there are non licenced areas at grounds where the atmosphere is a lot more chillaxed.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there really racial abuse of other spectators at Australian cricket grounds in this day and age? I'm so shocked at that. That's horrific.

In England I've never ever seen that, in the six or so years I've been going to cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not sure how this became about racist abuse. Sadly I don't doubt that there are neanderthals who still go along to the cricket who wouldn't be above this type of thing & it's totally indefensible, but surely there's more to the abuse Murali gets than just racist crap or his stance looks even worse. Stating the obvious it may be, but all his team-mates are of south Asian extraction too.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not 0. But I'm suggesting that if your too afraid to turn up to a cricket game in Australia in case you get racially abused, your not going to have a very exciting life.
Haha, racial abuse is hardly the type of excitement most people are looking for.