• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Technology In Cricket

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A well-written piece from Mr Ehlers IMO. Agree with pretty much all of it (though opinion expressed is minimal of course, suggestion of possibility is aplenty).

Good to see something touching on technology in areas other than that relating to Umpiring too.

archie mac

International Coach
A well-written piece from Mr Ehlers IMO. Agree with pretty much all of it (though opinion expressed is minimal of course, suggestion of possibility is aplenty).

Good to see something touching on technology in areas other than that relating to Umpiring too.

Thanks mate:)

I think that is the first time anyone has used my last name on this forum:ph34r:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With regards to rotation of umpires it depends how you do it. I think it is important that there's a fair balance for the two teams, as in you don't get one team having one 3rd umpire and the other getting someone different, it should be the same (roughly) for both sides. That is until any subjectivity is removed from the 3rd umpiring process, which is some way off as some people will see doubt in decisions whereas others will not.

archie mac

International Coach
With regards to rotation of umpires it depends how you do it. I think it is important that there's a fair balance for the two teams, as in you don't get one team having one 3rd umpire and the other getting someone different, it should be the same (roughly) for both sides. That is until any subjectivity is removed from the 3rd umpiring process, which is some way off as some people will see doubt in decisions whereas others will not.
Yes good point, still I think it would be the best solution:)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I am not too much of a fan of technology because it will be neglecting many of the things which the game grew up with. Batsman will no longer feel the need to go forward to many deliveries as it will not reduce the risk of being given out LBW. With every edge being given, batsman will start walking too, negating the need for umpires. Each decision will take time and the already slow game will be slower. This may even lead to the downfall of 50 over games for twenty20, oh dear!

The one aspect I feel umpires should be given an aid is that the third umpire can immediately inform them if they have made a shocker that EVERYONE but the umpire can see. For example, if the batsman has smacked it onto his pad or he is nowhere near a ball he is adjudged to have edged.

In the event that technology is seen to be the way forward, infrared goggles for umpires (like hotspot), would help a bit to see if a ball has clipped the edge of the bat or if it has hit the glove, arm or shoulder of the batsman (Tendulkar dismissal yesterday). That being said, it may be tedious with batsman showing off their shoulder to the umpire to prove it was not out. We do not want players influencing the umpires decisions too much.

Bodyline

Cricket Spectator
Technology defeats tradition

The Test match is basically untouched since Cricket began and so technology should stay away.

Umps are there for a reason. would be a shame if their opinions were overuled by a piece of wire or two.:@

You watch in 20 years or so they will scratch Umpires al together and just use Hawkeye for No-balls, wides and L.B's, and 3rd umpire type setups for run outs.:@

Long live the Umps!!!!

Toph:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Batsman will no longer feel the need to go forward to many deliveries as it will not reduce the risk of being given out LBW.
Really, reducing lbw risk isn't the only reason batsmen play on the front-foot, is it?
With every edge being given, batsman will start walking too, negating the need for umpires. Each decision will take time and the already slow game will be slower.
You say batsmen walking becoming commonplace like it's a bad thing! If every batsman knows he's got no chance of getting away with a nick or glove, he won't try to, and for me nothing better could happen.

Also, will increased walking not reduce the need for a time-wasting decision?

archie mac

International Coach
Really, reducing lbw risk isn't the only reason batsmen play on the front-foot, is it?

You say batsmen walking becoming commonplace like it's a bad thing! If every batsman knows he's got no chance of getting away with a nick or glove, he won't try to, and for me nothing better could happen.

Also, will increased walking not reduce the need for a time-wasting decision?
Good point, walking can only be good for cricket:)

Bodyline

Cricket Spectator
Richard

Nope, it's an imaginary place.

I know, and that's patently false, the rules have been changed any number of times.

No, I left it 5 years ago.
If you read my original message Dick it sais BASICALLY untouched not TOTALLY untouched!

Anyway my Aussies rule, and you know it:laugh: :laugh:

Who can beat them??

Bodyline

Cricket Spectator
And I disagree that they're basically untouched.

Which has what to do with anything?
Well Dick if you would like to name every rule change since Cricket began in Sussex, England in 1697, Go right ahead you literal twit.

I mentioned my Aussies just to remind you of who rules the Cricket roost mate!:laugh:

Haven't you got a badminton match to attend?