• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Hall quits South Africa

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
No word as yet to why Hall has finally decided to call it a day, although, apparently Hall’s 20/20 omission was the final straw for South Africa’s premium fall guy. According to media reports Hall has been strongly linked with ICL and a Kolpak contract with Kent probably isn’t to far off as well.

Hall's been a good servant for South Africa over the years and doubtlessly he would have been called upon again by his country but it seems like Andrew has done a Razzaq…

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, Hall's Twenty20 exclusion was very strange - I think he'd be a very good Twenty20 player as he is quite a good death bowler in ODIs and can add quick runs (or patient runs) down the order as well.

That said, I don't really care if he plays in the Twenty20 World Cup or not - however he'll definitely be a loss to South African cricket - be it test cricket, ODI cricket, or simply as an experienced player to play first class cricket.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Piss-poor from Hall, I always respected the guy as a hard worker who would put in the hard yards when his team needed it and was always willing to give 100 percent for South Africa. Fair to say I've lost some respect for him. I daresay it'll only be a matter of days before he signs for the ICL.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the decision makes sense from Hall's perspective. Without checking I guess he's 31/2, so probably has another 4 or 5 years tops. If he's not being selected regularly for his national team he can make more money as a Kolpak & (it seems) playing for the rebel 20/20 gubbins in India.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Seems ICL is making a lot of impact on other Intl players. They are really forcing the Intl players of all the countries to decide between playing for nation's pride or for money. Since last one month, we have witnessed many of them going after ICL leaving their countries if not selected.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah - you can't tell a girl to stay true, and then only take her out when your other options fall through, and keep on dumping her in search of something better, and then be upset when she decides to go out with someone who will treat her right.

Same thing with cricketers really. If they get the feeling their team/country don't value them, its a bit steep to ask them to begger themselves, relatively, for "the greater good". Totally different to a player like Mohammad Youssuf, who has really opted to leave the team, or even Kallis (in terms of being upset by the 20/20 thing, not going to ICL), as Kallis knows he's a valued member of the Test and probably ODI teams which Hall certainly doesn't know for sure. In Hall's case the team left him to fend for himself, and that's probably what he'll do.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I always respected the guy as a hard worker who would put in the hard yards when his team needed it and was always willing to give 100 percent for South Africa.
I agree with this, but don't see why it is so 'piss poor' from Hall. He's been the fall guy more often than his work rate and success deserved, he's been shoved all around the order in both tests and ODIs and has had to grin and bear it. I can quite easily see from Hall's perspective that he's had enough of all the **** and (like so many of the current all blacks) wants to earn the money his skill deserves before his career is past him.

Piss poor from the South African management to ****-up the naming of the team to so upset players like Kallis and Hall.

Finally. Hall's been my favourite Yarpie over the past ten years. All bristling effort and bite, but without any of the caricatured theatrics of Andre Nel or the bollocks-exuding mouth of Graeme Smith.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hey, does anybody else smell that?

Jeez what is that delicious smell. Its alluring, tempting, but also cold on the nostrils.

The scent of $$$

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Considering its South Africa, I wouldn't be too hasty in blaming the lure of hard cash. There's probably yet another racial quota issue behind this.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Considering its South Africa, I wouldn't be too hasty in blaming the lure of hard cash. There's probably yet another racial quota issue behind this.
Have you heard the Kruger situaion? If that's the case, then everyone in SOuth Africa is being treated unfairly.

Even though Hall was a neither here nor there player in regards to both batting and bowling, he was an intense competitor and he will a loss for cricket viewers. On the other hand, whether or not he is a loss for the team is another question to ask - players such as the Morkel brothers, Philander, Duminy, van der Wath and the already established cohort of all-rounders; Pollock, Kallis and Kemp can do the job that Hall does.

Though, they may miss his abilities in the death overs.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Yeah - you can't tell a girl to stay true, and then only take her out when your other options fall through, and keep on dumping her in search of something better, and then be upset when she decides to go out with someone who will treat her right.

Same thing with cricketers really. If they get the feeling their team/country don't value them, its a bit steep to ask them to begger themselves, relatively, for "the greater good". Totally different to a player like Mohammad Youssuf, who has really opted to leave the team, or even Kallis (in terms of being upset by the 20/20 thing, not going to ICL), as Kallis knows he's a valued member of the Test and probably ODI teams which Hall certainly doesn't know for sure. In Hall's case the team left him to fend for himself, and that's probably what he'll do.
This says it all, IMO.
Go Hall, do it your way now, as their way left you looking like a fool more times than less. I hope you make millions!:)

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
TBH, I have sympathy with the guy and I always thought SA underrated him. He was a key player in the 2003 Tests v England (a series he wasn't originaly picked for) and personally I'd have him in my ODI/20/20 team. If he was a footballer he'd be called a utitly player as he seemed to bat in every posistion for SA (he was even a Test opener briefly as well as a WK in an ODI)) and his omisson from the 20/20 squad surprised me more than that of Kallis. He's probably thinking "I'm 32 years old, younger players like Philander are emerging, so I might as well just get a Kolpak/ICL pension while I still can". But unlike Boje and Klusner I think SA will miss him....

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
He's probably thinking "I'm 32 years old, younger players like Philander are emerging, so I might as well just get a Kolpak/ICL pension while I still can". But unlike Boje and Klusner I think SA will miss him....
As i said in my previous post, I don't think South Africa will. As versatile as he is, you wouldn't pick him in your team solely for his batting abilities - yes or no? For me no. He is a decent bat, but I would never ick him as a top 6 batsmen. He is not a big hitter either. I think he has been punching above his weight with bat in hand, he's played some good knocks, but nothing has said that he warrants a place soley on his batting (though using this theory, some of today's best all-rounders wouldn't be in their teams either).

His bowling on the other hand is interesting. He is not like that of Ntini or Pollock, but he is effective - his ODI average shows this and his RR may be misleading, but only watching him will show his true value.

As you mentioned his age, well, once again going back to my previous post, guys like the Morkel brothers and Philander are younger and have a similar job description (based on FC and List A) to do the job Hall has been doing.

Hooper

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Shame, he was a good allrounder for SA. Money will always draw people to do things they normally wouldnt - ICL. No doubt he has been approached by the ICL.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I agree with this, but don't see why it is so 'piss poor' from Hall. He's been the fall guy more often than his work rate and success deserved, he's been shoved all around the order in both tests and ODIs and has had to grin and bear it. I can quite easily see from Hall's perspective that he's had enough of all the **** and (like so many of the current all blacks) wants to earn the money his skill deserves before his career is past him.

Piss poor from the South African management to ****-up the naming of the team to so upset players like Kallis and Hall.

Finally. Hall's been my favourite Yarpie over the past ten years. All bristling effort and bite, but without any of the caricatured theatrics of Andre Nel or the bollocks-exuding mouth of Graeme Smith.
Yeah there was mention of that in the article I linked to. Agree fully with HDS and Matt, nice posts.
Me too TBH, but I don't really think SA will miss him a great deal. Never rated him anything more than someone who'll put-in a decent performance from time to time.

Not fit to lace the boots of the Kluseners, Kemps and McMillans.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Me too TBH, but I don't really think SA will miss him a great deal. Never rated him anything more than someone who'll put-in a decent performance from time to time.

Not fit to lace the boots of the Kluseners, Kemps and McMillans.
Haha.

Hall is a much better cricketer than Kemp.

Although I do agree with you main paragraph - similar to what I've said in my posts within this thread.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think so. Better bowler - but his batting is as awful as Kemp's bowling, and neither Kemp with bat or Hall with ball are anything particularly special. Kemp's just shown glimpses that he could become a decent batsman tho, and before he got injured his bowling was none too shabby.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Don't think so. Better bowler - but his batting is as awful as Kemp's bowling, and neither Kemp with bat or Hall with ball are anything particularly special. Kemp's just shown glimpses that he could become a decent batsman tho, and before he got injured his bowling was none too shabby.
Kemp's batting record is clearly askewed. I don't doubt that he is a better batter than Hall, but he is so inconsistent, he does not warrant a place in the team as a batsmen. Other than the odd flash in the pan innings - the 100* against India and the 80* against England, he is relatively poor as a batsmen.

Glimpses is all you'll see, he'll never be a true bat for South Africa.