• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predictions Australia v Sri Lanka and Murali breaking Warne's record

Australia v Sri Lanka series result and Will Murali overtake Warnes tally of wickets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's a second attempt at poll of CW members. This time its a public poll.

So those who voted there, please vote again.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Prediction - Murali will be blasted by the crowds.
A prediction I am hoping that will not come to pass and I am expecting mature crowd behaviour and common decency by the overwhelming majority of Aussie fans to get rid of poorer elements in the crowd.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
A prediction I am hoping that will not come to pass and I am expecting mature crowd behaviour and common decency by the overwhelming majority of Aussie fans to get rid of poorer elements in the crowd.
Nah, I think he'll get blasted. It'd be great if there wasn't much in the way of racial controversy, though.

Anyway, my predictions: Australia win 1-0 with the other match a rain-effected draw, Murali breaks the record, and JASON complains about umpiring decisions. Ponting will score 200 at some stage, and Sangakkara will have a good time with the bat too.

burr

State Vice-Captain
well you're an optimist, that's for sure!

what's murali on at the moment? anyway i hope he does pass it, i think it would be awesome if he did it in aus, just to see how everyone reacts and if the majority of australians can manage to muster a shred of decency and applaud him for being a fabulous bowler instead of starting the inevitable 'but he's not as good as warne' whinge (which no doubt warne himself will join in on). Go Muarli!!!!

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Murali will have to wait until this tour is over to break the record,but if he does manage it, I will stand and applaud and pay the man the due respect he deserves.2-0 for mine as I see the Australian bowling line up being too strong,and hopefully this season we will see more 'traditional' Australian pitches,instead of the batting roads that have been dished up over the last couple of years.Oh yeh and Stuart Clark has to take the new ball too.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, I think he'll get blasted. It'd be great if there wasn't much in the way of racial controversy, though.

Anyway, my predictions: Australia win 1-0 with the other match a rain-effected draw, Murali breaks the record, and JASON complains about umpiring decisions. Ponting will score 200 at some stage, and Sangakkara will have a good time with the bat too.
AWTA, except imo Murali won't break the record & it'll be 2-0 Australia.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
2-0 to Australia, Sri Lanka's batting looks a little too wobbly to me, even with Atapattu back (which itself is a sign of what they themselves think of their batting)...

And Australia have been the best players of Murali, as a team in recent years (India haven't played Murali much though, it has to be said) and I think with pitches being made to suit their seamers a little bit, he might just struggle.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sri Lanka to impress for me and Australia's bowlers to not be as decisive as previously hoped, an attack led by Lee? Hmm.

1-0 to Sri Lanka, but I'm an optimist.

1-0 to Australia would be my pessimistic view.

Murali should bedazzle his way past or equal to the record IMO (even if he doesn't get a couple top order wickets he will certainly get some lower order ones).

The_Bunny

State Regular
Australia have played murali very well of late, but you cant put it past a bowler of his calibre not to just turn on the heat when it matters.
Still went with him not breaking the record, but really sitting on the fence tbh.

bond21

Banned
Australia will win every match, whatever they play. 3-0, 5-0 whatever

England are a better side and got slaughtered, I cant imagine Sri Lanka having a hope of winning a match.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Australia have played murali very well of late, but you cant put it past a bowler of his calibre not to just turn on the heat when it matters.
It will be very interesting to see how the series goes for him. If he turns up a very mediocre performance, it will be looked at in bad light and if he puts up a superb performance, it will enhance his standing a lot. Who knows, might even get applauses from the crowd once the series is over cos the Australian crowd loves performers but there are a lot of ifs before that.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think all wins, no losses for Australia. Murali will get the record, but not after being tanked around the field.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It will be very interesting to see how the series goes for him. If he turns up a very mediocre performance, it will be looked at in bad light and if he puts up a superb performance, it will enhance his standing a lot. Who knows, might even get applauses from the crowd once the series is over cos the Australian crowd loves performers but there are a lot of ifs before that.
One thing that will definitely gain the respect of the Aussies is if Sri Lanka are struggling badly, he does something special, and turns the match.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Kazo said:
One thing that will definitely gain the respect of the Aussies is if Sri Lanka are struggling badly, he does something special, and turns the match.
Ya good point. Agreed.

Prediction wise... Australia to win the series 2-0. Murali to equal Warne's record but just missing out on breaking it in Australia.

Last edited: