• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African racial quotas to be scrapped

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can't avoid the feeling of "let's wait and see what happens" here TBH, but I guess it sounds vaguely positive.

Kev's thoughts on the matter would obviously be fascinating - I guess he'd hope it'll mean youth-level stuff is fairer above all?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I am pretty sure all that happened was that they agreed to ditch the legislation that would have made the quotas law. Still...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Totally contradicts what was said after the Rugby WC and, if it was the case, what the hell is Amla still doing in the team?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Erm... they haven't played a Test since the change... it was announced today. :mellow:

Your point about what was said after the WC may be valid (I don't know, I don't follow said sport closely enough) but we won't see the true effects of this on cricket until at least the end of this season I'd imagine.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
They've got a taste for winning and quite liked it is my guess.

Seems really rather odd timing as they've already lost the man who managed their union team to the Webb Ellis trophy, reportedly because he was unprepared to work with the "quota" system.

It will be interesting to see what effect this has on the flow of Kolpaks into our county game. My guess is, with a very strong sterling, very little. As we saw with Harris, "Kolpak" status can be very quickly recanted should international recognition come knocking.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It was a good idea in though, but in practice it didn't really work. People like Ntini and Prince would have been in the side anyway, and people like Peterson shouldn't have been.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
You just can't drop the beards. I have found a great appreciation for them since I decided to try growing one. Beard quotas for all national cricket teams!

Seriously, good step. Everyone wants to see the best side as possible out on the park in any sport. Encouraging too if this change is a representation of the social climate.