• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Supporting other countries

Craig

World Traveller
Hussey gone too, oh my god we are in trouble now!! :scared:
What don't you support your real country then. Hell I can probably claim to be more Australian then you, and I'm not even a citizen. At least I've lived here for 9 years.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What don't you support your real country then.
8-)

People don't have to support their 'real' country if they have no inclination to. It's not like pup11 has just jumped on the Australian bandwagon, he knows a fair bit about the domestic cricket and obviously enjoys supporting them. Maybe he has family from there, lived there for a bit, or just likes some of the cricketers more. Hell, I don't know, but the whole 'support your own country' bull**** is exactly that. People have every right to choose who they support, and for a huge number of reasons.

Craig

World Traveller
8-)

People don't have to support their 'real' country if they have no inclination to. It's not like pup11 has just jumped on the Australian bandwagon, he knows a fair bit about the domestic cricket and obviously enjoys supporting them. Maybe he has family from there, lived there for a bit, or just likes some of the cricketers more. Hell, I don't know, but the whole 'support your own country' bull**** is exactly that. People have every right to choose who they support, and for a huge number of reasons.
Don't give me the rolleyeys crap boy.

pup11

International Coach
Very intelligent and well written response, your thoughts on the matter are very analytical and reasoned.
Its not like i hate my country or something, i love my country and i am patriotic towards my country, but i just don't like the Indian cricket team as simple as that (and i don't care even if they win every damn trophy in the world i still won't support them), and as Zac said i like the Australian team and i support them through thick and thin!

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Pfft, not an easy catch, but Australia would have taken it
Awesome avatar.
8-)

Nah. Already posted on it re: Raghav. See no reason why people like pup11 and aussie support teams other than their own country. Simply unpatriotic. If it was a case of supporting WA over Tasmania despiite having lived in Tasmania all your life is completely different. The country thing though not treason but a treasonous act.

Perm

Nah. Already posted on it re: Raghav. See no reason why people like pup11 and aussie support teams other than their own country. Simply unpatriotic. If it was a case of supporting WA over Tasmania despiite having lived in Tasmania all your life is completely different. The country thing though not treason but a treasonous act.
pup11 doesn't put India down all the time, like Raghav does, he simply supports a different country. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, people support teams other than their home side all the time, and they should be allowed to. The whole patriotism thing is overblown massively. What happens if I think Daniel Vettori is a dickhead? Should I still support him because he's from New Zealand? Hell no I shouldn't, I'll support somebody who I like.

FFS umpires, Symonds was gone.

roseboy64

pup11 doesn't put India down all the time, like Raghav does, he simply supports a different country. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, people support teams other than their home side all the time, and they should be allowed to. The whole patriotism thing is overblown massively. What happens if I think Daniel Vettori is a dickhead? Should I still support him because he's from New Zealand? Hell no I shouldn't, I'll support somebody who I like.

FFS umpires, Symonds was gone.
I get the not supporting a player argument but can't see myself supporting Australia just because the WICB is woeful. Absolutely no reason to support another country.

Perm

I get the not supporting a player argument but can't see myself supporting Australia just because the WICB is woeful. Absolutely no reason to support another country.
Yes, there is. Some people prefer to watch hard workers like Hussey and guys with immense enthusiasm like Hogg rather than Indian cricketers who are treated like royalty and whose attitudes aren't up to scratch.

roseboy64

Yes, there is. Some people prefer to watch hard workers like Hussey and guys with immense enthusiasm like Hogg rather than Indian cricketers who are treated like royalty and whose attitudes aren't up to scratch.
Don't support any team then. If you like Australia better than India/England/ whatever your home country is because of how Australia play or you hate aspects of your country's cricket so don't want to support them, that's cool. be a neutral then and a fan of cricket. Only choice in that situation. No justification for supporting another team.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Awesome avatar.

Agree with the West Indian one (I can't remember which one of those islands you're from... :D).

I have no issue with people supporting teams in the English premiership when they're from places like NZ, or even supporting a non-NZ team in the A-League, NBL, or ARL. Those are professional competitions. What I can't understand is why someone would support a national team in direct competition with their own - it's as though they have no pride in being a resident of their own country.

Every team has twits (in Perm's case, he ridiculously thinks NZ's is Vettori - I'd go for Styris....) much like every every team has a good munter (like Patel (NZ), Hussey (Aus), Flintoff (England). FFS, just because you don't like one guy in the team, for you to switch your support to another side entirely is ****ing childish.

Still, it's "allowed". No-one's actually stopping you, Perm. Which made the 3-0 series win over Bangladesh all the more enjoyable when your flip-flopping between support was firmly rubbed back in your face.

roseboy64

Agree with the West Indian one (I can't remember which one of those islands you're from... :D).

I have no issue with people supporting teams in the English premiership when they're from places like NZ, or even supporting a non-NZ team in the A-League, NBL, or ARL. Those are professional competitions. What I can't understand is why someone would support a national team in direct competition with their own - it's as though they have no pride in being a resident of their own country.
Jamaica

Thanks for all the support Zac, you are bloke mate but before this issue creates any more fuss let me clarify my stand.
Look guys i would support anything i like and nobody can do a **** about that, sorry about sounding a bit rude but this topic really irritates me it is completly my choice which team i support and why i do it, i am not pulling down India or neither am i asking anybody to support the Australian cricket team.
My mom is from Australian origin so i have a lot of relatives living in Australia and i just love the culture and people of Australia and the same could be said about the Australian team i just love the way they play and with the attitude they play so i don't see why anybody from among you should have a problem with that.
Understandable that.

Perm

Don't support any team then. If you like Australia better than India/England/ whatever your home country is because of how Australia play or you hate aspects of your country's cricket so don't want to support them, that's cool. be a neutral then and a fan of cricket. Only choice in that situation. No justification for supporting another team.
There is justification though, such as the development of cricket in that country, the personality, team-work and attitude displayed by the team, the prescence of several favourite players etc. People have the choice to support whatever team or country they like, and I think it would be very silly to say "You can't support any country other than your own", as it would prevent some people from enjoying the game.

Perm

Every team has twits (in Perm's case, he ridiculously thinks NZ's is Vettori - I'd go for Styris....) much like every every team has a good munter (like Patel (NZ), Hussey (Aus), Flintoff (England). FFS, just because you don't like one guy in the team, for you to switch your support to another side entirely is ****ing childish.

Still, it's "allowed". No-one's actually stopping you, Perm. Which made the 3-0 series win over Bangladesh all the more enjoyable when your flip-flopping between support was firmly rubbed back in your face.
It's not a 'ridiculous' notion that Vettori is a 'twit' as you want to put it. He's shown me in the past to be somebody who isn't particularly likeable from my point of view, so I dislike him. I never for one second suggested changing allegiance because you don't like a player, I questioned whether you should still support him because he is of the same nationality as you.

The discussion actually evolved from pup11's support of Australia, rather than me wanting to see Bangladesh defeat New Zealand. Bangladesh were out-classed, no doubt, point being? I shouldn't support a side who I like very much and want to see well, over a team who had far too many **** players (and coach for that matter) that would have hopefully been jettisoned if we lost the series. I can't see any sort of flip-flopping on my behalf with regards to the series in question either, I was firmly in support of Bangladesh the whole time.

roseboy64

There is justification though, such as the development of cricket in that country, the personality, team-work and attitude displayed by the team, the prescence of several favourite players etc. People have the choice to support whatever team or country they like, and I think it would be very silly to say "You can't support any country other than your own", as it would prevent some people from enjoying the game.
Don't see why you can't just not support a tea,\m. Surely it's possible to enjoy the game without a team. Doing so ATM with this India-Australia series. I'm in favour of India winning if Australia wins then so be it. Won't be switching allegiance to India.