• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe could be barred from UK

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Read all about it.

Good thing IMO. The precedent's there, and they've used it.

The problems arising from the potential removal of the Twenty20 thingy don't really bear thinking about however.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Defo good thing. Should've been sorted out back in 2002-3, IMO. Should of just set precident once and for all rather than mess about with should-we-shouldn't-we fiascos.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough. A governement has the right to decide who enters its country.

A far better situation than the cowardly policy regarding Zim cricket a few years ago where the Governement left England cricket out to dry.

Craig

World Traveller
Fair enough. A governement has the right to decide who enters its country.

A far better situation than the cowardly policy regarding Zim cricket a few years ago where the Governement left England cricket out to dry.
Yeah and they were going to let the ECB pay the fine. At least the (then) Howard Government said they would of paid the fine for Cricket Australia.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
The interesting point to ponder is how the ICC policy of not punishing the cricket boards for the actions of their respective governments will follow through.

If the British government makes the decision to refuse entry to the Zimbabwean cricket team, will it be a break from that policy for the ICC to punish the ECB by withdrawing the tournament?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good option. It's about time somebody stands up to Zimbabwe and Mugabe.

Chubb

International Regular
Banning the tour puts the ICC in a tighter spot than the ECB if you ask me. They cannot punish England for a political decision. The precedents are India and Pakistan not touring each other, and New Zealand and Australia banning Zimbabwe tours. If they did take punitive action, it would be grotesquely unfair and unjust, and everyone would know it. If they withdrew the tournament because Zimbabwe cannot participate, the loss of revenue would seriously harm English cricket. Yet the decision would have been taken by the British government. It is well known Malcolm Speed has little time for morality or for England's Zimbabwe objections, talking of England taking an "Imperial and colonial outlook" on the issue. I totally disagree with that. It will be very interesting to see what the ICC do.

As regards whether this is the right thing to do, I believe it is. Obviously I would dearly love to see Zimbabwe play in England again, but not under this evil, dictatorial government. Gordon Brown has shown some guts on this issue and I hope will not stand for the ICC's tacit recognition and collaboration with one of the most corrupt and vile governments on earth. However, I would like to see Zimbabwe play in official tournaments like the 2020 World Cup, and thus the issue is very complicated.