• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some words

Rich2001

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
Why does the word "p-a-k-i' turn to "******" when posting here?
In England anyway referring to a Pakistan person as a P-a-k-i is a insult / racist remark, so I would assume that’s why it has been filtered.

Rich2001

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
Vow, never heard of that before.

So is calling a Aghanistani a Afghani racist too?

There seeems to be no problems with words such as "Brit", "Aussie", "Kiwi"

Strangely there are few pakistani websites with that word
Nope just that one abreviation that I can think off, the rest are just commonly used terms that are used in everyday talk.

indianreligion

School Boy/Girl Captain
Re: Re: Some words

Rich2001 said:
In England anyway referring to a Pakistan person as a P-a-k-i is a insult / racist remark, so I would assume that’s why it has been filtered.
as a racist remark, it would not just refer to pakistanis, but also to ppl from most of the islamic countriesand sri lanka, bangladesh, india, nepal, etc...most of us "browns" basically

V Reddy

International Debutant
Re: Re: Re: Some words

indianreligion said:
as a racist remark, it would not just refer to pakistanis, but also to ppl from most of the islamic countriesand sri lanka, bangladesh, india, nepal, etc...most of us "browns" basically
What does it mean though? How would it apply to people other than Pakistanis? If someone said that to me , i would just laugh off and say i am not a pakistani. If it has such a bad meaning why was it included in the name of a country :duh:

indianreligion

School Boy/Girl Captain
Re: Re: Re: Re: Some words

vishnureddy said:
What does it mean though? How would it apply to people other than Pakistanis? If someone said that to me , i would just laugh off and say i am not a pakistani. If it has such a bad meaning why was it included in the name of a country :duh:
we are not pakistanis...but we all look like them don't we? and we are of the same race as them, it could hav been afghani, hindustani, lankan...watever,but it's p-aki

what it means is....basically,to be thinking of browns as racially different is where the offence lies, i think neil's said this before...it's as bad as n-igger.

the word itself is not imp...it is used to think of ppl as racially different and is therefore an offence.

Sehwag309

Banned
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some words

indianreligion said:
we are not pakistanis...but we all look like them don't we? and we are of the same race as them, it could hav been afghani, hindustani, lankan...watever,but it's p-aki

what it means is....basically,to be thinking of browns as racially different is where the offence lies, i think neil's said this before...it's as bad as n-igger.

the word itself is not imp...it is used to think of ppl as racially different and is therefore an offence.
But its ok when a Black person calls black person "n-igger". I guess they exchange it in humour.

Well, thats the way society is

V Reddy

International Debutant

indianreligion said:

oh now i got it . Thanks for explaining :cool2:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

indianreligion said:

Unfortunate, but accurate :(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
About some words

I appreciate that in the current climate of political correctness it is fashionable to knock certain things, but the use of epithets relating to race or colour require much thought.

The 'p' word always, for me, brings up the phrase 'p-bashing', a disgusting and disgraceful term employed by skinheads and right-wing thugs. A pal of mine was severely beaten by these cretins - and he was Malay. For obvious reasons, the word is less than 60 years old. The fact that neo-fascists use the term is reason enough for any right-thinking person not to.

The 'n' word started out as a derivative of 'negro' which in itself just means 'black'. It never used to be meant as an offensive term (the fact that Conrad, Twain and the like described dark-skinned people thus in their literature has caused them to be labelled racist) - but now even the word 'black' is frowned upon and the substitute 'African-American' urged in its place. Did I tell you I bought some African American shoes the other week? I didn't like the brown ones. Well, the KKK - another right-wing neo-fascist organisation - and their fellow inbred hicks used it as a derogatory term, so again that's good enough reason not to use it for me.

indianreligion

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Unfortunate, but accurate :(
it's accurate bcoz i've been on the receiving end, from some idiot who is narrow minded and less intelligent than i'll be if i suffer from a brain damage.

it's not nice to be part of a community that is disliked by ppl, for watever reason.

i can tell you that i feel awful when ppl (even on cw)make useless sarcy comments abt indians...