• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 cricket to bid for Olympic status

Waughney

International Debutant
Twenty20 for the Olympics?
I sincerely hope it goes ahead (especially since they stopped the One Dayers at the CWG) It would hopefully introduce and promote the game to many countries around the world. Anyway, do you like the idea?, what do you think the chances of this happening are, especially if England don't succed with their bid?

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
I doubt it will go ahead.

I don't think it makes any sense at all to go to the Olympics, we have to worry about fixing what Test nations we have at the moment! (Zimbabwe)

Waughney

International Debutant
Hoggy said:
I doubt it will go ahead.

I don't think it makes any sense at all to go to the Olympics, we have to worry about fixing what Test nations we have at the moment! (Zimbabwe)
Remember this is 8 years away!

Sudeep

International Captain
Hoggy said:
Test Cricket is over 125 years old and we have 10 nations that play it!
Olympics is every four years.

Playing a Twenty20 Tournament every Olympics wouldn't hurt Test cricket.

biased indian

International Coach
y should be 20-20 in olympics include test
so u will have more chance of watching the game with out missing other sports as well since it will be ther for 4-5 days :D

delkap

State Vice-Captain
I hope it goes ahead, Finally Indians will hv a decent shot at the medals... Hopefully Gold in 2012..

Deja moo

International Captain
Why should team sports be in the olympics ?

11 players slog it out game after game in the olympics ( football , hockey etc ) and in the end all they are awarded is one lousy medal .Why shouldnt it count for 11 medals ?

Compare with sports like swimming where one guy who is good at using just one set of muscles can win 3-4-5 medals in events that are simply slight variants on the same damn thing.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
orangepitch said:

11 players slog it out game after game in the olympics ( football , hockey etc ) and in the end all they are awarded is one lousy medal .Why shouldnt it count for 11 medals ?

Compare with sports like swimming where one guy who is good at using just one set of muscles can win 3-4-5 medals in events that are simply slight variants on the same damn thing.
coz its the title and not the medal itself thats rewarding

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Waughney said:
Your point being?
That after all that time the game really hasn't progressed at all outside the natural anglo saxon square.

So how is 8 years plenty of time?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
It will depend on how the Americans take to their increased involvment in the cricketing world.(champions trophy, world cup etc.)

Waughney

International Debutant
Hoggy said:
That after all that time the game really hasn't progressed at all outside the natural anglo saxon square.

So how is 8 years plenty of time?
I was in no way reffering to the progression of cricket out side the "Anglo-Saxon square". In the post I was replying to you said
as if to say there is enough to worry about at the moment. And I said that this is in 8 years time this will (hopefully) be all sorted out. Anyway there would be enough countries and interest for twenty20 to be staged at the olympics regardless of the state (and participation) of the game in non-commonwealth countries.

cbuts

International Debutant
orangepitch said:

medals are given for winng events. the soccer tournament is one event, so for the medal table, u got one medl. whilst swimming has heaps of dfferent events, so you can win more than one gold medal. if you win the relay event it still only counts for one.

it really has nothing to do with the yanks, the IOC decideds on the events, and there are no yanks in the IOC at the moment.