• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quote from NZ Coach abt Eng Wickets

delkap

State Vice-Captain
"Good luck to them. While we're not allowed to do it in New Zealand, they're obviously allowed to do it over here. Our policy is to produce the best cricket wickets possible, not ones that suit the home team."
John Bracewell, New Zealand's coach, suggests that the recent Test wickets were tailored to suit England

Hmm I wonder, what did he think about pitches in NZ in 2002/03 series against the Indians. Talk about hypocrisy...

Raj123

U19 Debutant
delkap said:
"Good luck to them. While we're not allowed to do it in New Zealand, they're obviously allowed to do it over here. Our policy is to produce the best cricket wickets possible, not ones that suit the home team."
John Bracewell, New Zealand's coach, suggests that the recent Test wickets were tailored to suit England

Hmm I wonder, what did he think about pitches in NZ in 2002/03 series against the Indians. Talk about hypocrisy...
didnt that happen a while ago...

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah I really don't know what he is talking about. The English bowlers hit the deck much harder than any of our bowlers, and they got the rewards for it.

We bowled very very poorly. Tuffey was a non event, he looked down on pace by about 10kph ... is he still struggling with that knee injury? Martin also went from being in the mid 140kph range, and nearly unplayable at times against SA, to well very average indeed. Cairms put in for 1 game, and I thought Styris was our most consistant bowler, and the only one who looked like he was trying to hit the pitch hard.

Vettori? Who? Does he still play for us? Giles out bowled him, easily. I'm not sure what Vettori has been doing these last few years but certainly not taking wickets. It seems anyone can just waltz down the wicket and belt him back over his head, I'm not sure why the English didn't do it more often. This is the guy who was voted our best ever spinner awhile ago. Seriously, he has to go.

Harder to get out of the NZ side than into it?

England bowled extremely well, I thought we were lucky Simon Jones got injured.

To be fair those pitches against India were more a result of the bad weather, and hence lack of time to prepare decent pitches.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Raj123 said:
the incident.
there were lengthy discussions about it in the official thread of the tour
if so, then my apologies.. I didn't see this comment mentioed earlier in the forum...
I was just pointing out that even if Eng did doctor the pitches (which I don't think they did), NZ can't complain because they did almost the same thing against Indians in 02/03.
Macka said:
To be fair those pitches against India were more a result of the bad weather, and hence lack of time to prepare decent pitches.
Weather or not, those weren't proper test wickets. If every country took that as an excuse, no touring side would win barring Australia maybe...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
And Bracewell wasn't in NZ at the time of that series against India, so he probably didn't see the pitches.

Bracewell being new to intl cricket, needs to get used to the idea that Countries create pitches to suit their style of play.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
And Bracewell wasn't in NZ at the time of that series against India, so he probably didn't see the pitches.

Bracewell being new to intl cricket, needs to get used to the idea that Countries create pitches to suit their style of play.
Exactly. It's called home-field advantage and that's why teams have home and away fixtures.

PY

International Coach
Where's that sour grapes picture again?

Might need to get it hosted if it comes up any more frequently. :D

anzac

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Exactly. It's called home-field advantage and that's why teams have home and away fixtures.
whereas I can recall a criticism of NZL pitches that were better suited to the Touring team than the Home team!!!!!!

I know this was raised re the 3rd Test at The Basin v RSA, but the same comment was made re the ZIM tour a couple of seasons back that the pitches were too low & slow..........

on a further note you could put a case forward that there has not been enough done re Home field advantage in recent years, hence the proliferation of lifeless flat tracks...............

I acknowledge that IND has come in for a lot of flack re their preparation of tailored spin decks, but IMO this was seen as being detrimental to their progression as a cricketing power outside the sub-continent..........

I for one still want to see variety in Int pitches for local conditions, even when they may all be nominally described as being a 'normal' type pitch, so long as they more or less exhibit the desired 5 day characteristics as discussed some time ago on the flat tracks thread.........

anzac

International Debutant
just thinking about it - perhaps NZL has a similar problem to IND, in so much as the domestic pitches do not make their Int game suited for Away conditions as they are primarily in the minority so far as playing conditions go, .............what works at Home doesn't work Away (another validation for my 'horses for cources' theory?????)........ :D

whereas the likes of AUS' & RSA's domestic game is better able to be applied to the varying conditions Away from their Home advantage, hence their positions at the top of the leader board............while the rest of us fight it out a couple of rungs below...........

anzac

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Hence the reason NZ are one of the best tourists in the World? :)
possibly a combination of...............

Kiwi / Anzac spirit....
the better players performing better on better pitches (Marshall as an example)

and the fact that while they are amongst the better tourists, they do not often win series (IMO ENG & WI series victories were over hosts that were depleted / in turmoil)...........

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

And its a bloody fragile glass house in this case!
It's actually been ruled out of the Natwest Series by injury and replaced by a Marquee.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Reading the comment by John Bracewell I thought it was a strange one:
1, regardless of the fact that he was not coach of New Zealand in 2002\03 for the India tour, and even though the bad weather didn't help with the pitch-preparation, the fact is New Zealand used a perfectly legitimate method in an attempt to give themselves the best chance of winning a Test-series, not "produced the best cricketing wickets" (what this is assumed to mean, remember).
2, leading on from that, of course it's fair for the home team to prepare wickets that best suit their style of play, that's the whole point of cricket. It's a crying shame that there is such a proliferation of nonenity wickets around ATM - the whole beauty of playing cricket around The World is to come-up against different conditions and the different challenges they present. The subcontinent is supposed to have spin-friendly wickets and India were insane not to produce dustbowls for the return NZ series in 2003\04, as Sehwag pointed-out at the time. The ball's supposed to get scuffed easily and reverse-swing lots. New Zealand and England are supposed to produce green, average-bounce seamers, and the ball's supposed to swing conventionally, lots. Australia, South Africa and West Indies are supposed to produce wickets with a bit more bounce and a bit less seam-movement, and you're supposed to be able to get both types of swing at the right time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:

And I am sure Bracewell didn't read any newspapers, he didn't have access to internet either.

As for Bracewell being new to International Cricket, I thought he played International cricket for almost 10-15 years before becoming a coach.

I agree with Richard, that International cricket is all about variety, different countries different conditions.