• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10th June - Group A - England v Australia

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, that's a rather dissapointing end. When we collapsed last night I knew that we weren't going to have much of a chance. At least Haze still took wickets.

91Jmay

International Coach
Cummins is going to be a monster in Tests as long as he is fit. In fact he is a monster now, however there are plenty of bowlers who reckon they get injured if they aren't playing regularly so maybe you play him in white ball cricket if that helps his body become more resilient. He was very one trick pony though, no skill displayed other than being physically the kind of man who would have lead the tribe in prehistoric times.

Howsie

International Captain
It's a bit sad that Cummins is looking harmless isn't it
He usually does, especially in the one day cricket I've seen him play. New Zealand have made it a bit of habit of smashing him around the park. He just doesn't have a consistent good length, he's either way too full or short, easily to deal with on a flat track.

And for the love of god Australia, get rid of Finch and never bring him back, he's just not good enough.

91Jmay

International Coach
Thing that disappointed me with Aus seamers was the lack of variety. Can remember one slower ball (which led to near catch then run out) from Starc, i'm sure there were others but it wasn't used that well. Would have loved to have seen that tried more in middle overs.

Also Smith's captaincy needs to be improved. Zampa and Starc should have been on together, rather than that bizarre Head/Henriques thing that happened at a fairly crucial stage.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think their great skill now is ability to counter-attack so aggressively; no way England sides of the past would've responded to being 3/35 chasing 278 with such a masterful and aggressive partnership.

Forget England of the past, I don't think any other side today bats like that while losing wickets. NZ slowed down after losing Guptill and KW the day before, Australia slowed down after losing Smith for a bit, India slows down after losing their openers. That has been the major difference for me observing this England side over the last 1 year. It's like their template and approach is totally different from the rest of the sides. Now this is not always going to work, you will occasionally have a collapse on conditions where this sort of batting is not conducive (3rd ODI against South Africa) but most LO pitches around the world will support this brand of cricket.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He usually does, especially in the one day cricket I've seen him play. New Zealand have made it a bit of habit of smashing him around the park. He just doesn't have a consistent good length, he's either way too full or short, easily to deal with on a flat track.

And for the love of god Australia, get rid of Finch and never bring him back, he's just not good enough.
I don't know that dropping the bloke who made a run a ball 60 odd when you lose 5/20 or whatever would be a productive move.

cnerd123

likes this
The main thing with this result is it means there's still a chance of keeping alive our proud tradition of being knocked out by Bangladesh
The only way BD and England face each other again would be if it is in the final

That would be glorious

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Forget England of the past, I don't think any other side today bats like that while losing wickets. NZ slowed down after losing Guptill and KW the day before, Australia slowed down after losing Smith for a bit, India slows down after losing their openers. That has been the major difference for me observing this England side over the last 1 year. It's like their template and approach is totally different from the rest of the sides. Now this is not always going to work, you will occasionally have a collapse on conditions where this sort of batting is not conducive (3rd ODI against South Africa) but most LO pitches around the world will support this brand of cricket.
100% agree.

I've said it before but outside Root this isn't a team full of great batsmen, but what they do have is insane depth. That means they can go 3/35 and there is no need to panic or consolidate like other teams would have to. To have the safety net of having your No9 (or even 10 in some teams we've fielded) being well capable of scoring a 35 ball 50 is an incredible luxury and it gives our top/middle order a license that other sides just don't have.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah agree with most points regarding England's approach to ODI cricket here. I am not sure if the template was set seeing the insane amount of all-rounders they were producing or the all rounders were groomed into the side based on the template but it's working pretty ****ing well and make for one entertaining team to follow. England fans must feel over the moon seeing their LO side being talked of as the most watchable. :) And most of the England management seem to think Morgan is the one who should take most credit.

EDIT: And reading through the link BW posted, Morgan credits the IPL. So you **** s who blame IPL for everything should throw some credit there for giving you this wonderful to watch England LO side. ;) :laugh:

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
India vs Bangladesh semi final - pick 1 team *****. This is the Tec15 test.
Bangladesh. Always.

It goes:
HK above everyone
BD above everyone (except HK)
India above everyone (except BD and HK)
Any team that is not England
Any team that is not Australia

This is why I find it hard to care about NZ vs SA or WI vs SL or something.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah agree with most points regarding England's approach to ODI cricket here. I am not sure if the template was set seeing the insane amount of all-rounders they were producing or the all rounders were groomed into the side based on the template but it's working pretty ****ing well and make for one entertaining team to follow. England fans must feel over the moon seeing their LO side being talked of as the most watchable. :) And most of the England management seem to think Morgan is the one who should take most credit.

EDIT: And reading through the link BW posted, Morgan credits the IPL. So you **** s who blame IPL for everything should throw some credit there for giving you this wonderful to watch England LO side. ;) :laugh:
No doubt about it the IPL has played a major role in this reinvented England approach. I think Morgan learnt so much sharing a dressing room with Brendan Mccullum and he's brought that knowledge and mindset to this England team. I think the experience has done wonders for Ben Stokes too........after that ridiculous price tag he secured there would have been immense pressure on him to justify it, which he did in spades. That sort of **** makes for great players.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Bangladesh. Always.

It goes:
HK above everyone
BD above everyone (except HK)
India above everyone (except BD and HK)
Any team that is not England
Any team that is not Australia

This is why I find it hard to care about NZ vs SA or WI vs SL or something.
You need to fix this.......England did you a massive solid yesterday so it's time you got on board and showed some ****ing gratitude.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
IPL and the mushrooming of T20 leagues has completely changed LO cricket. Not sure who has said anything different. I don't think that is in question at all. The kind of analysis, strategies, scenarios that teams are exposed to in the IPL is incredible and has completely changed LO cricket. Some of it for the good, some of it for the bad (ODI cricket is no longer a contest between bat and ball) but that also has a lot to do with the kind of pitches being prepared.

My only problem with IPL is that 2 months is a very long time and it eats a lot into the international calendar and I personally prefer international cricket over leagues.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IPL and the mushrooming of T20 leagues has completely changed LO cricket. Not sure who has said anything different. I don't think that is in question at all. The kind of analysis, strategies, scenarios that teams are exposed to in the IPL is incredible and has completely changed LO cricket. Some of it for the good, some of it for the bad (ODI cricket is no longer a contest between bat and ball) but that also has a lot to do with the kind of pitches being prepared.

My only problem with IPL is that 2 months is a very long time and it eats a lot into the international calendar and I personally prefer international cricket over leagues.
hmm ok

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No doubt about it the IPL has played a major role in this reinvented England approach. I think Morgan learnt so much sharing a dressing room with Brendan Mccullum and he's brought that knowledge and mindset to this England team. I think the experience has done wonders for Ben Stokes too........after that ridiculous price tag he secured there would have been immense pressure on him to justify it, which he did in spades. That sort of **** makes for great players.

Yeah, beyond the financial aspects and the showmanship and all the BCCI > all that happens with the IPL, the very fact that this tournament brings together such talent from around the globe and helps create friendships across national teams and provides a platform for learning and sharing that goes beyond the nationallist thoughts are genuine great things about the IPL. TBF, the old English county system did the same thing and those World XI games in Australia (though off and on) would probably have created similar situations too. But to be able to get together across national teams like this in an extremely professional environment with actual high stakes would probably mean most relationships established will be pretty genuine.

I mean, given how hot the Ind-Aus series was, thank God we had the IPL straight after it.. Its obvious how much the relationships have cooled down between the teams since then.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

No one said anything different. Its just that it is not said often enough, or at least, not as often as the negative stuff about IPL is brought up.