• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

11th Match - New Zealand v Pakistan (22nd March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 11th Match of the World Cup between New Zealand and Pakistan (Punjab Cricket Association IS Bindra Stadium, Mohali, Chandigarh).

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interesting game. Will NZ be through if they win?

You have to back them on form even if Pakistan's pace attack gives them trouble. They've defended two undefendable totals so far and Pakistan's batting is still struggling.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's pretty strange as on paper our batting is much better than our bowling right now. Wouuldn't be surprised to see a game where we get absolutely smashed and chase down a decent total. Think our spinners have been fairly flattered (though that doesn't mean they're necessarily spuds).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon Pakistan's bowling is being seriously overrated by a lot of people. Some in the media have been calling it the best attack in the comp. But 90% of the time Wahab is a bit of pie thrower really, Amir is decent but as of yet Wasim he ain't, Afridi is a good containing bowler but he's not going to run through sides, and Irfan's bounce doesn't disguise the fact that he's really very hittable. NZ should win, even with their frail batting lineup.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Amir is freaking awesome, I seriously don't get how you can just call him decent.

It could be the best atack in the comp but their selectors are morons and for some reason have decided they don't need spinners.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Amir is freaking awesome, I seriously don't get how you can just call him decent.

It could be the best atack in the comp but their selectors are morons and for some reason have decided they don't need spinners.
Eh, I mean he's clearly the best of their bowlers, and maybe calling him decent is selling him a bit short, but I certainly don't see him as being totes amazeballs either. Thing is, he's still bowling like an 18 year old - the control, patience and consistency that would make him a genuinely great bowler is still missing.

Niall

International Coach
Reckon Pakistan's bowling is being seriously overrated by a lot of people. Some in the media have been calling it the best attack in the comp. But 90% of the time Wahab is a bit of pie thrower really, Amir is decent but as of yet Wasim he ain't, Afridi is a good containing bowler but he's not going to run through sides, and Irfan's bounce doesn't disguise the fact that he's really very hittable. NZ should win, even with their frail batting lineup.
Somewhat under estimating Amir, but i agree with the gist of this. Riaz is more miss than hit in this format, while Irfan isn't that good and never really runs through anyone. Afridi is very average these days and most certainly not a frontline spinner. I like Wasim, but he is still pretty inexperienced.

NZ have a stronger batting line up, better bowling attack and better fielders, the only thing Pakistan have that is superior is a much nicer kit.

Its t20 so anything can happen etc, but you look at Pakistan's results in this format in the last few months or so and how well NZ are playing and its tough to see how NZ lose.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup, Bahnz slightly underrated Amir here. He hasn't been Wasim Akram, granted, but I think he's looked pretty impressive given he's only been back on the circuit for 5 minutes. Still gets it through at 145+ and swings it late, not sure one could ask for too much more.'

I do agree that Pakistan do get overrated overall though. NZ should be disappointed to lose this game, they seem the much better side.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah, kiwis should win provided they can provide an iota of pressure to the pakistan batting. No matter how good the bowling the batting is Associate level and will sink Pak

btw wouldn't be surprised if Sami gives NZ a bit of a scare. I remember he did that a while back in ODIs in the beginning of his career didn't he? He's looked slightly improved than his usual self too. PEWS to comment soon now

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah NZ was an opposition Sami enjoyed in his youth, but that was primarily because their batsmen had a real weakness against express pace bowling. I don't think that's intrinsically true about this lineup, but Sami is a gun in general so he'll clean them up anyway. :ph34r:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol criticising Amir that he is not Wasim is like criticising every batsman in the world because they are not Bradman or Richards.

As far as the assessment of Pakistan's bowling attack goes, there are two ways of looking at it, one more applicable in current scenario, and one not so much. If we go by what their respective skillsets and abilities as a whole, then it's a pretty dam good pace attack, one of the best in LO cricket at the moment. Irfan doesn't run through sides, yes that's not his job or skillset. He gets breakthroughs quite consistently in LO (mainly ODI) cricket, he often comes back in his second spell to break a partnership. 1-2 wickets per match is usually his return and that's what he is there for, not a 6fer.

Having said that, whether the skillset this attack has is relevant and applicable to the current tournament, given the conditions? Not so much. This is not their fault, this is a failure of epic proportions by the selection committee that picked a squad with 5 seamers and no frontline spinner, because they thought the tournament was being played in South Africa.

The PSL had plenty of spinners among the top wicket takers, yet none of them were picked. So asking Wahab Riaz to go and bowl cutters at Eden Gardens when that's not what his skillset is, and then criticising him for failing to do so is stupid. He should not have been picked, not because he isn't good enough, but because these are not the conditions for him. There should have been 3 spinners in the side, one frontline spinner, supported by Imad Wasim and Afridi.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he was better. That isn't the point though. The point is criticisng someone by comparing them to the best in the business is stupid.

MaxGlayn

Banned
Pakistan and New Zealand its going to big match, Both teams have bowling and betting power NZ have Santner and Sodhi for spin attack, and Pakistan have Amir, Sami, Wahab and Irfan, I don't think that pitch will take turn as much we have seen last matches, I think this will help pace and bounce attack,

vcs

Pakistan and New Zealand its going to big match, Both teams have bowling and betting power NZ have Santner and Sodhi for spin attack, and Pakistan have Amir, Sami, Wahab and Irfan, I don't think that pitch will take turn as much we have seen last matches, I think this will help pace and bounce attack,
Certainly.

Daemon

You're off your head if you don't think Amir is the best bowler in this tournament.

Motorwada

Banned
Amir is really really good but Wahab, Irfan , Sami aren't really that good (Irfan is economical though). The overrating is mostly due to the history of Pakistan having great fast bowlers in the past and is a cliche that present day commentators use as they don't really watch matches not involving their team. Another similar cliche is Indians are really good players of spin, again due to history rather than observation of the current crop. It's Ajmal and Hafeez who made the bowling really good before being banned.

Fast bowler stats in last two years (T20I):
Bowling records | Twenty20 Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

ODI:
Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo