• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

11th Match - New Zealand v Pakistan (22nd March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Of the three NZ wins this one feels relatively hollow as it was more Pakistan turning inept rather than great bowling on NZ's part, but good on KW for not panicking and backing the spinners once again. Milne also stepping up when McCleneghan had a bad day.

Considering some good NZ sides have failed to make it out of far easier groups in previous editions, the semifinal slot is a satisfying result. Wonder whether they'll use the Bangladesh game to give the benched players an opportunity.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Of the three NZ wins this one feels relatively hollow as it was more Pakistan turning inept rather than great bowling on NZ's part, but good on KW for not panicking and backing the spinners once again. Milne also stepping up when McCleneghan had a bad day.

Considering some good NZ sides have failed to make it out of far easier groups in previous editions, the semifinal slot is a satisfying result. Wonder whether they'll use the Bangladesh game to give the benched players an opportunity.
You saw the blueprint in the World Cup. They play their best XI every time - whether that is Mitch on a quicker deck or Nathan on a ragging bunsen burner. Southee/Boult/Nicholls won't get a look in, and that's the way it should be. Bangladesh are a good side and it's more quality match practice for the best XI. Obviously fitness and turnaround times aren't really an issue as well. So yeah I expect to see the same XI or Nathan in at best.

I'm absolutely loving Ish's work in this tournament. I think it's the self-belief that heartens me the most. This was the least conducive deck for him and he did exactly the same things he did on the raggy one v India and on a better deck v Australia. That's not to be confused with him now being the best Test option but it's bloody great to see that he now believes he is an international bowler, and has the ability to be one. We now have two limited-overs spinners who can also bat to take forward with us. I like that.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This thread was a weird read when I didn't know the result. Gambhiring had me convinced Pakistan were no chance, miles behind, then NZ's batting was hopeless and going to be well short, then Pakistan were out of it again and then NZ had missed their chances... and this continued for 17 pages with each team one-upping the other in the completely-out-of-this-got-no-chance stakes.

In the end the Pakistan Gambhirs had the final say.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
That's a staggering stat. Credit to the NZ death bowlers.
The fielders deserve much of the credit as well. There were at least 3 solid hits into the outfield in that time that probably deserved to be 4s but which were saved by excellent outfielding.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently Gup wasn't on the field in the second innings? Hamstring tightness, apparently. Hope he's all good for the next game.

EDIT: Wait, he took catches, so he must have been on for at least part of it.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Amazing to see smali's pessimism so justified.

How did they manage to slow down enough to lose by 22 runs?
Saj Sadiq ‏@Saj_PakPassion 3h3 hours ago
When Sharjeel Khan was out Pakistan were 65/1 from 33 balls.
Next 87 balls they scored 93/4
#NZvPak #wt20
Saj Sadiq ‏@Saj_PakPassion 3h3 hours ago
Ahmed Shehzad last 17 balls faced: 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 W
#NZvPak #wt20 #Cricket
Hassan Cheema ‏@mediagag 3 hrs3 hours ago
Q: how do you mess up Sharjeel's work?
A: three boundaries in the last 71 balls. All by Afridi.
94 retweets 61 likes
Reply Retweet 94
Like 61

That is your answer in a few tweets. Shezhad slowed down although it wasn't if he was in Maxwell mode which was when it started to go Pete Tong, then the lunatic decision to promote a man to three who had not played an international in four years when their was so many other logical alternatives.

Then the Umar innings where even his staunchest supporters here have admitted was a truly horrific knock,I'd be shocked if you see a worst one this innings, it wasn't a lack of effort it was just ****.

Afridi had a brief cameo but their was simply to much expected from Malik and Sarfraz to achieve when they came in, as to be fair NZ did bowl pretty well.

I can understand some claiming NZ are not getting enough credit, but unlike against India and Australia where they were excellent, they were here for the taking today,it was just a horror show once Sharjeel exited.

Who knows, even if Pakistan had got their batting order right today, they probably still would have lost. :)

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah a spinning half tracker can be a good delivery in t20s when batsmen are trying to hit too hard. It's never a good delivery in tests.

Giving up singles and going at 5-6 an over builds pressure in t20s, but is rubbish in tests.

Niall

International Coach
Nah a spinning half tracker can be a good delivery in t20s when batsmen are trying to hit too hard. It's never a good delivery in tests.

Giving up singles and going at 5-6 an over builds pressure in t20s, but is rubbish in tests.
Yeah, you look at Narine and to a lesser extent peak Tahir, both absolute guns in white ball cricket, but like Sodhi much easier to negotiate in the longer format.

He is still pretty young though, so time on his side etc, and worst case scenario you have a proper limited over gun spinner.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That is your answer in a few tweets. Shezhad slowed down although it wasn't if he was in Maxwell mode which was when it started to go Pete Tong, then the lunatic decision to promote a man to three who had not played an international in four years when their was so many other logical alternatives.

Then the Umar innings where even his staunchest supporters here have admitted was a truly horrific knock,I'd be shocked if you see a worst one this innings, it wasn't a lack of effort it was just ****.

Afridi had a brief cameo but their was simply to much expected from Malik and Sarfraz to achieve when they came in, as to be fair NZ did bowl pretty well.

I can understand some claiming NZ are not getting enough credit, but unlike against India and Australia where they were excellent, they were here for the taking today,it was just a horror show once Sharjeel exited.

Who knows, even if Pakistan had got their batting order right today, they probably still would have lost. :)
Their selections have been abominable this WC. Could have beaten India had they picked a spinner.

They need to get a pure numbers/pie chart guy in to counteract the post-a-thread-on-pakpassion selection logic.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
He's dominated everyone so far. I've been fantasising about him transferring this form to Tests.
Yup, really glad for Ish because there were a few suggestions that his performance in the 3rd ODI against Aus last month was a one-off, great to see he has some consistency going. You sensed NZ were looking at him as a trump card; also feel opponents might have been caught by surprise as all they remember of him are his test outings from 2014.

Needs a good season or two before he comes back into test reckoning but he's certainly injected some real variety into NZ's attack in the shorter forms.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ish could also get an IPL contract as Indian chicks love non-resident Indians, according to my buddy.

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
NZ bowlers got tonked in Dharamshala as well in the powerplay overs on a more difficult batting wicket.Today was no different really.

You'd just have to credit their ability to create pressure in the middle overs,bowling tight lines aided by good fielding in stopping the easy singles.

Dhoni-esque captaincy from Kane.Cool,calm head.Tactically he's very good.

New Zealand overall look like the most well prepared team for this tournament.But their capability to do this in a big semi-final or a final remains to be seen.
Sometimes talent totally trumps tactics so we'd have to wait to see if these NZ players can bring their A-game in a big game situation.They'd have to be considered one of the favorites to lift the cup at this point really tbh.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Dunno who I'd rather we face in the semi's. WI are probably the scariest just because on their day they'll be simply too good for us - though obviously if we nick Gayle out early we'd be favourites. SA are looking wobbly atm, but you never know with Steyn and co - especially given how fragile our batting can be. England are such a wildcard. Who knows with them.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Santner is 8W @ 8.75 economy 5.83 and Sodhi 5W @ 11.40 economy 4.75 after facing India, Australia and Pakistan.

WTF.