• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13th Match - India v Bangladesh (23rd March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

G.I.Joe

International Coach
not enough being made of this actually (because of Mahmudulla and Rahim ****ness). The lack of backing up was horrendous,
Hendrix mentioned that Kohli may have proclaimed the intent to Mankad. Really the only explanation of why the non-striker chose to play it safe. 100% chance of being Mankaded vs whatever chance of running the 22 yards is good reason to eschew the illegal play. India might have copped unreasonable flak for the mankading from the usual quarters, but Bangladesh would simultaneously have been guilty of stupid gameplay over all three deliveries instead of just the two.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Nobody understands pressure like Dhoni does. It takes a very special kind of a person to create pressure situations with the certainty that when it comes down to it, he will be mentally stronger than his opponent.
Dhoni needs to retire. His time is up. Looks a shadow of his former self. Drops catches, stumpings, fails to move swiftly. The Indian team needs fresh legs, energy, positive intent personified by Kohli as captain. Dhoni is past his use by date.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hendrix mentioned that Kohli may have proclaimed the intent to Mankad. Really the only explanation of why the non-striker chose to play it safe. 100% chance of being Mankaded vs whatever chance of running the 22 yards is good reason to eschew the illegal play. India might have copped unreasonable flak for the mankading from the usual quarters, but Bangladesh would simultaneously have been guilty of stupid gameplay over all three deliveries instead of just the two.
That's awesome from Kohli to get in their head, but a mankad literally has no affect on Bangladesh's result. They weren't 9 down. Now perhaps the non striker in the heat of the moment doesn't think about that. But even so, should at least have backed up to the point where he runs as soon as the ball is bowled.

91Jmay

International Coach
That's awesome from Kohli to get in their head, but a mankad literally has no affect on Bangladesh's result. They weren't 9 down. Now perhaps the non striker in the heat of the moment doesn't think about that. But even so, should at least have backed up to the point where he runs as soon as the ball is bowled.
Yeah spot on. Mankading doesn't count as a delivery so who cares? Sprint down the other end.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, I was one of the only guys at my office who didn't think it was a fix. Quite a bit of talk about it today.
You work with dumbarses.

So many comments on the internet too about it. They are so dumb. If it was a fix it was the most risky fix ever. Absolutely no guarantee those shots go to the fielder off the full toss, and more importantly, that the fielder catches it. Jadeja's catch was not a super simple one.

You can't manufacture that result to that level of detail..

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I wasn't aware that a Mankad doesn't count as a legal delivery. I'm guessing if the non-striker was (a) aware of this, and (b) took advantage of it, then the run out at the non-striker's end would have been in play. Did anyone notice if a fielder had run up to the non-striker's end to collect a possible throw from the keeper?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
There's a theory that I have a lot of time for. The Bong players, for whatever reason, seem to have oversized egos and do not take kindly to perceived slights. They're huge on gestures of 'getting even'. They may have sought to repay India for having finished off their last high profile encounter with a six (Dhoni, Asia Cup Final). If so, this wasn't a choke.
Nah I don't think that's the case esp with Mullah. Well I can't read minds but following these guys over the years winning the game was the first thing in their mind I believe. In the heat of the moment, players make mistakes. He got a rank full toss and tried to hit out. Also the theories about fixing is just rubbish.

indiaholic

International Captain
People who think that this match was fixed are attributing levels of skill to Bangla batsmen that they just do not possess. They are just not good enough to a) connect with the ball and b) guaranteeing a hit in the air.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Does a mankad count as a delivery though?

They needed two off one with two wickets in hand. If Pandya ran in and mankaded Fizzy, would that be game over or could they have just sent in Al Amin after that?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Does a mankad count as a delivery though?

They needed two off one with two wickets in hand. If Pandya ran in and mankaded Fizzy, would that be game over or could they have just sent in Al Amin after that?
They could send Al-Amin after that. However, Al-Amin would get the same warning from Kohli and Ashwin, meaning he couldn't even think of leaving the crease earlier just like Fizzy didn't. Not backing up earlier was the main reason for the warning; not winning the match by mankading alone.

91Jmay

International Coach
They could send Al-Amin after that. However, Al-Amin would get the same warning from Kohli and Ashwin, meaning he couldn't even think of leaving the crease earlier just like Fizzy didn't. Not backing up earlier was the main reason for the warning; not winning the match by mankading alone.
Yeah but Fizzy would lose nothing by being mankaded? It was stupid for him to pay attention to the warning.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Glad most people think of it as a choke rather than a fix here. Mushfiqur looked too pumped for his own good and then Mahmudullah played a bad shot after hitting one spectacular four. They should have just got for the ones and twos and that stage.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Lol its fizzy we are talking about. I am not sure he held a cricket bat in his life. Goes to show what Al Amin would have done :confused1

Niall

International Coach
You work with dumbarses.

So many comments on the internet too about it. They are so dumb. If it was a fix it was the most risky fix ever. Absolutely no guarantee those shots go to the fielder off the full toss, and more importantly, that the fielder catches it. Jadeja's catch was not a super simple one.

Yep,if they fixed it, fair play to them as the greatest fix of all time.

If I was a fixer with a lot of money getting the Bangers to throw a match where they were hugely odds against pre is not something I would be considering.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The worst of the lot when it comes to these waahs is sadly Akram. I remember in a previous game where the spinner came on and his first ball didn't turn and Akram was like that indicates how good the pitch was and started slagging the pitches that offered turn. Very very sad.

Nah.. the sad part is he advocated the same pitches for KKR as their bowling coach. He was waaaahing about 180 being a good score in this pitch normally and Sehwag immediately told him on air that when did any team ever get 180 in the IPL at Eden... Guy finally shut up. Love that Sehwag can shut up fast bowlers' idiocy even without a bat in hand. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
not enough being made of this actually (because of Mahmudulla and Rahim ****ness). The lack of backing up was horrendous,

Theory going around in my office (from a couple who watched the game there live and many who watched the last over fully unlike me) is that someone (Virat or Ashwin) told Pandya with Mustafizur at earshot that they should Mankad if the guy backs up. Pretty street smart thinking ftw there if true.

EDIT: See that Joe and Hendrix have already made the point. Still awesome by Kohli and Ashwin.. :D

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
Nah.. the sad part is he advocated the same pitches for KKR as their bowling coach. He was waaaahing about 180 being a good score in this pitch normally and Sehwag immediately told him on air that when did any team ever get 180 in the IPL at Eden... Guy finally shut up. Love that Sehwag can shut up fast bowlers' idiocy even without a bat in hand. :)
Must have missed this segment.. Thank you Sehwag. This is your god Black_Warrior. What a **** he is.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This also got me thinking. Does the non-striker have to wear pads? Should've taken them off or worn wicket keeping pads/green bits of cardboard so you can at least run faster.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
There's a theory that I have a lot of time for. The Bong players, for whatever reason, seem to have oversized egos and do not take kindly to perceived slights. They're huge on gestures of 'getting even'. They may have sought to repay India for having finished off their last high profile encounter with a six (Dhoni, Asia Cup Final). If so, this wasn't a choke.
Yeah it's an absolutely ridiculous theory.

Bangladesh choking from a winning position is not something new.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You work with dumbarses.

Heh, quite. The margin for error was literally non existent if it was a fix, to which they replied "they're professionals, they could do it easily"