• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

17th Match - England v Sri Lanka (26th March)

Who will win this match?

• England

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Separate to the result, it is games like this (and plenty of others in this tournament) that help our sport. I struggle to get my boys interested in cricket but they were both screaming at the TV and chanting during the last 5 overs.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Interviewer to Ben Stokes:

'What were you feeling going into that last over? How were the nerves?'

'It was one of those situations where you'd rather be doing it than watching it.'

Ben Stokes and I are very different people.
Haha yeh I would be a nervous wreck in that situation as well as that high catch he took.

Buttler isn't bad for a backup IPL batsman.

Johann

School Boy/Girl Captain
Great game!

Superb from the pace attack and it's about time they started to perform when it matters tbh. Still some major concerns over Mo and Rash though - they were dispatched far too easily for my liking

smash84

The Tiger King
Great game!

Superb from the pace attack and it's about time they started to perform when it matters tbh. Still some major concerns over Mo and Rash though - they were dispatched far too easily for my liking
i wouldn't be too considered about Ali and Rashid just yet. I mean they are generally average spinners for SC teams but against non SC teams they have done reasonably well so far and I wouldn't dish it out to them just yet. They've done well before this game.

I didn't rate Rashid much at all (was comparing him to ian salisbury a few months ago :p) in test matches but watching him in the big bash in LO cricket has me thinking that the guy does have potential for LO cricket.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Morgan really put Rashid and Moeen in a no-win situation. They were bound to get targeted against one of the best sub-continent batsmen, who was set.

It was almost a death over situation for those two. And most spinners have no effective way of bowling in that scenario. Moeen isn't one to spear it in at the toes. Rashid certainly isn't.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Morgan really put Rashid and Moeen in a no-win situation. They were bound to get targeted against one of the best sub-continent batsmen, who was set.

It was almost a death over situation for those two. And most spinners have no effective way of bowling in that scenario. Moeen isn't one to spear it in at the toes. Rashid certainly isn't.
Bull****. They bowled 4 overs between themselves. Of course they were targeted, they were the weak link. They had to bowl at some point otherwise they should not have been on the field. If they couldn't bowl in awkward situations then they shouldn't have been in the XI or should be back in the UK bitching to the wife about the weather and the gas bill.

I am not big on making excuses for people, especially if the excuse is that you would rather someone else bowl in a tough situation instead of you.

Last edited:

grecian

That is a friggin fantastic over from Jordan. I expect no one to remember it next time he goes for a few.
I've already forgotten and I am already stating he's worse than Saj and Jade:p

Bull****. They bowled 4 overs between themselves. Of course they were targeted, they were the weak link. They had to bowl at some point otherwise they should not have been on the field. If they couldn't bowl in awkward situations then they shouldn't have been in the XI or should be back in the UK bitching to the wife about the weather and the gas bill.

I am not big on making excuses for people, especially if the excuse is that you would rather someone else bowl in a tough situation instead of you.
Yep they had a terrible match collectively, but in the end they've both done pretty well in the previous matches, Moeem MOTM last game.

Rashid's fielding as much of a worry, and with someone like Plunkers, who can hit a long ball down the order, not sure his batting is needed. Dawson would improve the fielding, but not sure much else, so not sure who we put in.

Scaly piscine

They should have bowled earlier. Morgan already knew there wasn't much in the pitch for spinners, so when you have a team 30odd for 4 knowing they're basically one/two wickets from defeat why would you leave your spinners kicking up their heels until the later overs. You smuggle some cheap overs out then so you don't have to bowl them later. You don't let them consolidate against bowlers who will be difficult to put away anyway. Then telegraph to the opposition you've got 4 overs to spin you *have* to bowl, so smash as many from as you can.

Morgan piled all the pressure onto the spinners. You can't go to a wrist spinner and say... right don't concede a big over ... against one of the best sub-continent batsman in the world. What's he supposed to bowl? Same with Moeen? What's he supposed to bowl?

They're being put into a role they're not used to. If they come on at overs 7/8 then they can just bowl.

It's like if you put the two spinners on to bowl overs 19 and 20, they likely won't be very effective.

grecian

They should have bowled earlier. Morgan already knew there wasn't much in the pitch for spinners, so when you have a team 30odd for 4 knowing they're basically one/two wickets from defeat why would you leave your spinners kicking up their heels until the later overs. You smuggle some cheap overs out then so you don't have to bowl them later. You don't let them consolidate against bowlers who will be difficult to put away anyway. Then telegraph to the opposition you've got 4 overs to spin you *have* to bowl, so smash as many from as you can.

Morgan piled all the pressure onto the spinners. You can't go to a wrist spinner and say... right don't concede a big over ... against one of the best sub-continent batsman in the world. What's he supposed to bowl? Same with Moeen? What's he supposed to bowl?

They're being put into a role they're not used to. If they come on at overs 7/8 then they can just bowl.

It's like if you put the two spinners on to bowl overs 19 and 20, they likely won't be very effective.
I agree with a lot you say, but to be fair to Morgan I think he just wanted to close out the match quickly, which could easily have happened if we'd got Matthews early-ish.

Hey we won, and we're through, it all worked out in the end.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, the match situation was that Rash came on with the RR over 11.50. Sorry but a good spinner (which he is) should have been able to draw at least one mi**** in that situation. Think Rash's natural aggressiveness hurts in that situation though, throws the ball up and goes for wickets. Would maybe want to see Moeen earlier, see if he can sneak through a couple. Then bring Rash on when RR is well and truly out of hand.

LightningStrike

U19 Debutant
England have had a problem with spin ever since Swanny retired.

To be honest Ali has always been more of a batsman that can bowl a bit - though of course England have been trying to desperately get him to the level of front line spinner. Rashid probably better known as a bowler that can bat a bit.

From the neutral's point of view the fact that all England's bowlers can potentially be great or terrible at any time has the makings of some really unpredictable and exciting cricket. From England's point of view (taking the positive angle) this means that potentially any of them can be match winners at any time - and if they all brought their A-game at the same time. They could be unbeatable!!! :happy: