• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd June - Group A - Australia v New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Australia

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, something I mentioned myself last week. Broom just isn't good enough against this level of bowling, he's a waste of space really. Whilst Neesham isn't really a 'come in and clear the ropes batsman' at this level either, so he's wasted at six. When he was given a chance up the order he really did show a thing or two (or given time to play himself in) Neesham at five really would improve this team quite a lot I reckon.

In saying that though, that would mean de Grandhomme would come in and what's he going to bring to the table, a quick 10-15 at best.
Part of it is I haven't quite adjusted to the fact our top order is quite good, for a change. Once upon a time our number 6 would usually be in after 20-25 overs and need to play a long innings, whereas at present our number six often arrives around over 40 and needs to hit, which Neesham doesn't do well without 20-30 balls at the crease first. Noone else in the side is any good at that either tbf, possibly aside from De Grandhomme and Milne. Neesham would be fine at five, just moves the problem to six.

I'm not sure I really see a solution in the current squad.
Ultimately this is the main problem. There's noone in the squad that I want to bat in the 5 or 6 spot that's not filled by Neesham. Anderson is a disappointment. I don't completely discount Broom from playing a glue-like 40(55) some time in the middle order, but he's unlikely to play a big role.

On another note, Milne's bowling looked really good - a bit of a relief as it didn't seem he bowled well in the IPL and I thought he might be underdone.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Cummins seems to get absolutely smashed every other game. The amount of times he'll get hit for back-to-back boundaries seems so high for a front line quick.
NZ are always relieved to see him at the crease - kept us in a few recent ODIs between the sides while the rest of Australia's bowlers were tight.

Howsie

International Captain
Cummins seems to get absolutely smashed every other game. The amount of times he'll get hit for back-to-back boundaries seems so high for a front line quick.
He seems to be either too short or too full, New Zealand have seemed to have taken a liking to him over the last couple of years. Needs to hit a length a lot more consistently.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
One interesting aspect from Oz’s brief innings is that what seemed a major problem for NZ – the ball wasn’t swinging – actually turned into a bit of an advantage for them.

Mainly because it forced them to bowl short of a length and when they didn’t give Warner/Finch any room, they really struggled with it. It makes me think that pitching the ball up and trying to swing it in ODIs to someone like Warner especially is a bit overrated as he’ll take his chances and more often than not, prosper. But tuck him up with deliveries between the kneeroll of the pad and the hip and he would find that much harder.