• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Semi Final - Australia v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Potentially, although he's so talented it's difficult to imagine him not transferring those skills. England may need to be patient with him, Jos Buttler was similar, it took him a while to come to terms with requirements of Test cricket.

Either way, one thing is for sure and that is that it's the right time to give him the opportunity to have a go.
Test cricket is such a different beast

He’s 28 and averages 38 in CC

Nothing in his record suggests that he is Hussey

If he was early 20s then maybe

Then factor in who he’s playing against

Cummins is relentless & quick - that’s a bad matchup

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
The cupboard is bare . Roy looks like a good Ashes punt because we don't have many options . I agree it is a terrible , unlikely gamble but ...it may be our best shot .

Woodster

International Captain
Test cricket is such a different beast

He’s 28 and averages 38 in CC

Nothing in his record suggests that he is Hussey

If he was early 20s then maybe

Then factor in who he’s playing against

Cummins is relentless & quick - that’s a bad matchup
Cricket is very different these days than when Hussey was coming through, unfortunately not as much attention is given to first-class cricket records, that's not to say it shouldn't still be an accurate guideline as to whether a player can succeed in Test cricket. Roy has focused on the shorter format in recent years and so has played very little first-class cricket in order to improve that record significantly and perhaps give a better representation of where he's at as a batsman nowadays in the longer format.

I mean, it's a limited sample size but based on from the start of the 2017 season he actually averages over 50 in first-class cricket.

Last edited:

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I predict that he will get roasted at test level

Another Finch
On what basis? Roy does't have a very obvious technique flaw a la Finch. Does he have a weakness outside off?

He's improved out of sight in the past 3 years for mine. Yesterday's innings was something else.

Not to mention Finch has only played 5 tests.

Last edited:

Pothas

At this stage I am just taking it as an inevitability and he will almost certainly score more runs than Jennings. I also think that, unlike what we sort with Hales, he will still make his runs pretty quickly, it will be different to what we have had the last few years for sure.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, i'd be shocked if he makes it at Test level - he also absolutely cannot open the batting.
If he plays it's got to be in the top 3........3 is no different to opening in this English side.

I think he's a punt we've just got to take the. At least we know he's got the temperament for the top level.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I think somebody mentioned here that the 146* Stoinis got in his 2nd ODI was bad for the side long-term and I'd agree as I think that innings was always in the back of the selectors minds in terms of deciding to persist with him even when evidence increasingly piled up in the other direction.

Curiously, I think the 7 times he did reach 50 in ODIs Australia didn't win once.

Will Maxwell be permanently dropped from AUS side ?
I think it's time from the ODI format. Peaked as an ODI player probably at the end of 05/06 and has largely been poor form and frustrating cameos since. His form largely mirrors that of the side in that period as well (although this WC a bit of an outlier) and the side needs a fresh start.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On what basis? Roy does't have a very obvious technique flaw a la Finch. Does he have a weakness outside off?

He's improved out of sight in the past 3 years for mine. Yesterday's innings was something else.

Not to mention Finch has only played 5 tests.
Have you not seen him try to play an inswinger?

mr_mister

I think somebody mentioned here that the 146* Stoinis got in his 2nd ODI was bad for the side long-term and I'd agree as I think that innings was always in the back of the selectors minds in terms of deciding to persist with him even when evidence increasingly piled up in the other direction.

Curiously, I think the 7 times he did reach 50 in ODIs Australia didn't win once.

I think it's time from the ODI format. Peaked as an ODI player probably at the end of 05/06 and has largely been poor form and frustrating cameos since. His form largely mirrors that of the side in that period as well (although this WC a bit of an outlier) and the side needs a fresh start.
Did you mean 15/16?