• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Semi Final - Australia v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

DriveClub

International Regular
The problem isn't Carey batting 5, it's the risk management took by exposing him to the moving ball when batting later in the innings has been the one thing that's worked. It was risky and it meant we had no safety net after he got out. We duly crumbled. Would have been better to sacrifice Stoinis instead.
Carey didn't get out to the moving ball, he did well superbly against the new ball bowlers and got out when it was time to milk rashid.

Spark

Global Moderator
So that was definitely worth missing then.

I hope to never see Stoinis in an Australian shirt again.

Spark

Global Moderator
Again, Stoinis this year averaged less than 20 and is striking in the 70s. He has no "role" in this side unless he's giving full time competent bowling.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Carey didn't get out to the moving ball, he did well superbly against the new ball bowlers and got out when it was time to milk rashid.
No but the point is that there was no lower order safety net once he went out at 5. What little faith I have in Stoinis is as a guy who can come in early against pace and build an innings. By promoting Carey over him it meant Stoinis was starting against spin and we didn't have the Carey safety net.

stephen

Again, Stoinis this year averaged less than 20 and is striking in the 70s. He has no "role" in this side unless he's giving full time competent bowling.
Stoinis is reverting to his long term form - batting average in the 20s, bowling average in the 40s.

stephen

Let me put it this way - Stoinis when he was good was a poor player in a purple patch. Much like Faulkner.

stephen

Stoinis' top score in his last 12 innings (with only two not outs) is 31*. His second best score is 22.

Since the start of the year he's averaging 23.5. That's woeful by any standards.

stephen

Since February 2018, Stoinis has averaged 22 at a strike rate of 80 over 25 innings with only 3 not outs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That defeat was embarrassing. I want to see what Burgey's saying too, it's like the ultimate taste from him.
I’ve spoken to him and he’s taken it with good grace but said ***** and OS can go eat a pile of dog**** (or words to that effect)

kushagra29

Cricket Spectator
Honestly, I'm very happy with the yesterdays result. Its not bcoz I hate AUS or love ENG. Its bcoz we are going to see a new champion after a long time. Im bored of seeing the same teams winning the trophy again n again. But this time a new champion will emerge. ENG looks a better side compared to NZ but u can't take NZ for granted. They can shock anyone like they did in Semis.

Woodster

International Captain
From an English perspective what a fantastic day yesterday was and what a fantastic performance!! Genuinely thought beforehand it could've gone either way but boy did we turn up with our A game. Superb first up with the new ball, didn't panic during the Carey/Smith partnership and closed the innings out clinically.

And what about Jason Roy ?! Some unbelievable strokeplay, went after Starc and Lyon in such an aggressive yet calculated manner. Surely booked his spot in the Ashes side now. Batting unit firing aswell as the bowling, a complete performance, and if we did produce our best then there was really only one winner.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
And what about Jason Roy ?! Some unbelievable strokeplay, went after Starc and Lyon in such an aggressive yet calculated manner. Surely booked his spot in the Ashes side now. Batting unit firing aswell as the bowling, a complete performance, and if we did produce our best then there was really only one winner.
Didn't know Roy's ceiling was so high. A genuinely very good player and a lock for the Ashes.

Woodster

International Captain
I predict that he will get roasted at test level

Another Finch
Potentially, although he's so talented it's difficult to imagine him not transferring those skills. England may need to be patient with him, Jos Buttler was similar, it took him a while to come to terms with requirements of Test cricket.

Either way, one thing is for sure and that is that it's the right time to give him the opportunity to have a go.