• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th June - Group A - Australia v Bangladesh

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
****ing rain.

Though tbf it probably saved us in the first match. Think our chances here in a full match were better than New Zealand's in the first one though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
****ing rain.

Though tbf it probably saved us in the first match. Think our chances here in a full match were better than New Zealand's in the first one though.
The full match thing is rubbish, rain 'saving' a team is always dire.

At least AU had a fighting chance against NZ, it was probably a 10-20% chance at coming back but they were still in it, Bangers were 0.05%.

Daemon

Well I suppose Australia would've been on 2 points even if there was no rain in either game so it's a bit hard to feel sympathetic. How does NRR work for these?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
For various reasons, Australia & Bangladesh have barely played each other internationally in recent years (no Tests since 2006, 3 ODIs since 2008, never had a bilateral T20 series) and seemed cursed when they meet in major tournaments.

This a No result, the 2015 WC match completely washed out and even their 2007 ODI WC match was heavily restricted by rain.

TheJediBrah

The full match thing is rubbish, rain 'saving' a team is always dire.

At least AU had a fighting chance against NZ, it was probably a 10-20% chance at coming back but they were still in it, Bangers were 0.05%.
Well I suppose Australia would've been on 2 points even if there was no rain in either game so it's a bit hard to feel sympathetic. How does NRR work for these?
Seriously underestimating their chances in the game against NZ. I'm not saying they were favourites but they would have had a very solid chance with Smith in and Maxwell, Head, Wade and a very strong tail to come.

TheJediBrah

Ever since 2005 they've been scared a bit of Bangladesh tbh. Always finding excuses not to play.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The target score adjusts on the basis of wickets lost. So, theoretically Bangladesh could pick up 8 more wickets in the next 4 overs leaving Australia with a target score of xxx/9 at 20 overs, where xxx >> 83.
All true, although in context Aust were lucky to savage a point vs. NZ in the last, so if they're unlucky enough to be denied the 2 points today, it kind of evens out. But yes in isolation, it's stupid this isn't deemed to be a match.

Good points. Does make some sense but the lack of reserve days does not make any sense though, esp. when you are playinng in stupid England where it seems to ****inng rainn everyday.

That awkward moment when Aus could get knocked out despite being undefeated

I assume others would prefer to look at it as Australia getting knocked out coz of going winless. :p

TheJediBrah

Just thinking about it, did the washout really hurt Australia that much? They would have pretty much had to beat England in their last game to qualify anyway so either way it would most likely have been a must win.

Spikey

If NZ defeat England and Banga, Australia can not qualify, regardless of what they do (and Aus-Eng takes place after both of NZ games)

TheJediBrah

If NZ defeat England and Banga, Australia can not qualify, regardless of what they do (and Aus-Eng takes place after both of NZ games)
Are you sure? Because in that case if Aus beat England then wouldn't Aus qualify?

Aus would have 1 win + 2 no results, England would have 1 win and 2 losses

Spikey

oh yeah, I suppose Australia could get ahead of England on NRR, forgot about them, but it still matters a fair deal anyway

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Just thinking about it, did the washout really hurt Australia that much? They would have pretty much had to beat England in their last game to qualify anyway so either way it would most likely have been a must win.
Yea, but then depending on other results they could have lost to England and still made it, as their NRR would have been far ahead of NZ, and Bangladesh would have been knocked out.

Now it's straightforward though.

Burgey

Given it's pretty standard for the weather in England to be rubbish this time of year, I do wonder why they don't schedule games at venues with lights in daytime ODI hours, and if there's rain around they can then play on into D/N hours. Mind you, this is cricket, where you can have rain around for a day and a half and the players will still have a lunch break.

I know it would make for a potentially loonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg day/ night, but given the crap climate and the fact the grounds all drain really well, you'd be a lot bigger chance of getting a result.

And let's be honest, who doesn't want a result late into the evening?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
oh yeah, I suppose Australia could get ahead of England on NRR, forgot about them, but it still matters a fair deal anyway
Whether coming 1st or 2nd -in the group isn't going to matter much because Ind v SA game is after the group A games. Coming 1st won't necessarily mean you'd get an easier team in the semi-final. And forecasts for Semis are quite fine.

Ind & SA would probably have the option of choosing their semi-final opponent but they probably wouldn't.

I mean if NZ wins the group, and if it came down to SA v Ind game to decide the group winner, they maybe wouldn't want to be the group winner..