• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

9th June - Group A - New Zealand v Bangladesh

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

James

Cricket Web Owner
Fri Jun 9 (50 ovs) 10:30 local (09:30 GMT | 19:30 AEST | 19:00 ACST | 17:30 AWST)

Group A - New Zealand v Bangladesh
Sophia Gardens, Cardiff

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
New Zealand vs. Bangladesh

9th Match, Group A: New Zealand v Bangladesh at Cardiff on Jun 9, 2017
(10:30 local | 09:30 GMT)

Zinzan

New Zealand might as well replace Broom with Latham at 5. Not that I'm a big fan of Latham there, but he was in top form, he's a good sweeper of spinners, & if we lolapse again, we need another batsman who can actually last more than 20 balls.

Zinzan

Didn't notice there was a match thread already, if a mod could delete/merge please.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't be overly surprising if, as Moss said in the other thread, Bangladesh get up for this. Williamson can't score runs every match and Bangladesh buoyed by having a chance of making the semis. NZ would not want to be chasing a score like Bangladesh set against England the other night.

That said, most of NZ's batsmen including the strugglers average very highly against Bangladesh, so NZ still favourites.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ronchi is our new permanent opener until the start of the 2019/20 season. I base this on the fact he earned 2 years out of a single knock before the World Cup.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So are there literally no other batsmen?

What about playing Latham for Broom and batting Ronchi down the order?
Latham could come in, though would require a bit more reconfiguration. Don't really want Ronchi down the order again where he's been record-breaking poor, could perhaps bat at 5. Or just Latham as a direct swap for Broom, though he's not familiar with batting at 5 either. I think Fleming suggested Latham at 5 in the NZ team he picked for this tournament.

This wicket-keeper batsman selection is haunting us.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Latham could come in, though would require a bit more reconfiguration. Don't really want Ronchi down the order again where he's been record-breaking poor, could perhaps bat at 5. Or just Latham as a direct swap for Broom, though he's not familiar with batting at 5 either. I think Fleming suggested Latham at 5 in the NZ team he picked for this tournament.

This wicket-keeper batsman selection is haunting us.
The funny thing is even Broom does well against Bangladesh, all but one of his big scores since recall have come against them. I actually don't think he's quite as terrible as he's shown in the last 2 games, he's a sort of low-cost version of Taylor in that he's decent at staying in lower gears and helping build partnerships, but unable to whack it around. He definitely doesn't have the game for an international no.5/6 though.

I dunno. By dithering over the wicketkeeper business NZ really have brought this on themselves.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Bangladesh bowling lacks pace. Look at Australia. They had genuine pace, and the Bangladesh batsman struggled. I think New Zealand will win this. It will be funny if Pakistan, Sri Lanka and New Zealand reached the semi finals – teams most people had written off. Mustafizur looks a completely different bowler outside the subcontinent.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno. By dithering over the wicketkeeper business NZ really have brought this on themselves.
Yes, to my mind that's the most long-standing issue of the current ones, and by frequently rejigging the whole batting lineup while cycling unsuccessfully through various options (keeper bats at 1, 5, 6 or 7), they've made it more difficult to address who else should bat in those spots.

They did a couple of worthwhile things like try Watling at 5, but erred imo as soon as they brought back Ronchi after that failed. Should have just brought in their preferred domestic keeper at that stage, got him to bat 7 from the outset (i.e. the default wicketkeeper position), and left it at that.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Bangladesh bowling lacks pace. Look at Australia. They had genuine pace, and the Bangladesh batsman struggled. I think New Zealand will win this. It will be funny if Pakistan, Sri Lanka and New Zealand reached the semi finals – teams most people had written off. Mustafizur looks a completely different bowler outside the subcontinent.
No, he just looks a different bowler after his injuries. Happens to a lot of bowlers actually