• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Perfect 10

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
I'm not trying to sound patronising to AFL, 'cos I know squat about the sport &, moreover, I don't think any given sport is intrinsically better than another, but how would a sport that seems more or less totally concentrated in Oz hold a meaningful international tournament? I thought the "International Rules" games were played against the Gaelic Football teams to give it an international aspect?
I went to the 2002 International Rules second test, when Ireland drew with Australia at Croke Park, Dublin. It was an absolutely amazing day with loads of Guinness in Quinns both before and afterwards (so no different to any other day in Ireland then).

The crowd was somewhere around 70,000, but I don't think I was the only one who didn't have a clue what was going on. So many posts (and a crossbar) as well. The Aussie next to me was as lost (drunk) as I was.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Buddhmaster said:
AFL > every other sport

Now we can move on
So good, there isn't another country in the world that would dream of polluting the purity of the sport by playing it.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BoyBrumby said:
I'm not trying to sound patronising to AFL, 'cos I know squat about the sport &, moreover, I don't think any given sport is intrinsically better than another, but how would a sport that seems more or less totally concentrated in Oz hold a meaningful international tournament? I thought the "International Rules" games were played against the Gaelic Football teams to give it an international aspect?
International rules yes.

The tournament wasn't an event where Australia took place, because that would be pointless. The organisers had goals they wanted to achieve by holding the tournament e.g. discovering new talent. The tourny wasn't meant to find out who's the best in the world.

For what it's worth, they found two players from Japan (et. al.) who were asked to train with an AFL club because they showed that they may have potential.

International rules isn't AFL. If i was to put a percentage on it, it would be 25% AFL 75% Gaelic.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well, for me, the thing that separates Association Football from everything else is the fact that all you two kids need is a ball and a wall and they've got themselves a game, that's why it's more popular than Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, AFL, Tiddlywinks, the lot. Simplicity. Yet simplicity that produces breathtaking entertainment and drama. Over half the human race will watch the World Cup Final, there is nothing else in the world quite so popular.

archie mac

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Well, for me, the thing that separates Association Football from everything else is the fact that all you two kids need is a ball and a wall and they've got themselves a game, that's why it's more popular than Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, AFL, Tiddlywinks, the lot. Simplicity. Yet simplicity that produces breathtaking entertainment and drama. Over half the human race will watch the World Cup Final, there is nothing else in the world quite so popular.
Aussie Rules has become very popular in some USA schools for the very same reason, you really only need a footy and some posts (or jumpers piled on the ground) and away you go :)

Although there seem to be alot more rules (laws) in AR compared to AF

Cloete

International Captain
archie mac said:
Aussie Rules has become very popular in some USA schools for the very same reason, you really only need a footy and some posts (or jumpers piled on the ground) and away you go :)

Although there seem to be alot more rules (laws) in AR compared to AF
As opposed to an entire team of defenders, an entier team of attackers, a play book, helmets, chest pads, posts and a referee, I spose? :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cloete said:
As opposed to an entire team of defenders, an entier team of attackers, a play book, helmets, chest pads, posts and a referee, I spose? :p
You forgot the oxygen and 300 pounds of fat each

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
It's a hybrid of AFL and cricket..

That's Out! Bowled!
What? All you did was paste a cartoon of a cricket ball into that picture... there's nothing in there related to AFL.......

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Robertinho said:
What? All you did was paste a cartoon of a cricket ball into that picture... there's nothing in there related to AFL.......
I think it's a play on the bit where you get a consolation point for failing to get the ball between the middle two sticks in AFL, but they give you a point anyway.

A bit like the stall at the fair where you fail to win the big Eeyore by scoring over 45 with 3 darts (usually because two bounced out) but the guy who runs the stall gives you a consolation Piglet with one eye missing worth 4 pence instead.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
But an AFL game is decided on points, not goals. You get 6 points for a goal, 1 point for a behind. A behind is a perfectly legitimate method of accumulating points. More than one method of scoring points isn't even isolated to AFL... You can score field goals in rugby if you aren't good enough to get a try. Comprendi?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Perhaps, but then again I'm not the person knocking the game - just trying to explain why the photoshopped picture could be construed as having AFL connections along the lines of close encounters of a near miss kind.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
But you don't get a drop goal by missing your attempt at a try.
Actually, isn't trying for a drop goal conceding that your attempt at a try would ultimately be unsuccessful and then resorting to trying to get a drop goal? If you think about it, it's very much a failure to score a try (or a goal, in AFL terms).