• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Absolute disgrace

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Mills was a bit more composed when he was interviewed at the airport today and acknowledged that as 12th man/waterboy, he should haven't been getting involved.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murphy continues to be disappointed that I fail to adhere to his own "things Bogans like" style of doing things.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Meh, what do you expect if you allow sledging and other types of behavior? I've no problem with it. I'd rather see fights than idiotic comments that people feel like they can say (under the guise of 'playing hard but fair') because they know they're immune from retaliation. If you said half the things they do on the cricket field anywhere else, there'd be a fist fight every over.

They'd likely keep their mouths shut if they knew there was a chance they'd get their teeth knocked out.

Not that this was an actual fight, or anything close to it....a non issue for me.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SS you're wrong about that. There is sledging in heaps of contact sports where fights and punches can be thrown, yet they're not thrown. Why? Because people understand it's done to throw them off their game, and if they react, then they lose.

Your view that cricket is the only sport with such sledging because fights aren't allowed is one of your stupidest theories. Honestly.

Hell, at club level some absolute filth is thrown around on a cricket field and there's no ICC rules preventing someone from throwing a punch. It's just an accepted part of the sport. Of most sports really.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SS you're wrong about that. There is sledging in heaps of contact sports where fights and punches can be thrown, yet they're not thrown. Why? Because people understand it's done to throw them off their game, and if they react, then they lose.

Your view that cricket is the only sport with such sledging because fights aren't allowed is one of your stupidest theories. Honestly.

Hell, at club level some absolute filth is thrown around on a cricket field and there's no ICC rules preventing someone from throwing a punch. It's just an accepted part of the sport. Of most sports really.
Err, I don't remember saying that cricket is the only sport with such sledging?

In contact sports it's different. I was talking to a friend of mine who was a physical trainer for the Vikings in the NFL, and I asked him about this, and he laughed. He said that if any player said something about another player's mother or wife, the next play he'd be lying on the grass without a functioning knee. It's self-policing that way.

Anyway, I don't want to harp on this issue. I just find the whole thing funny, especially the faux-toughness that's shown when yelling insults while hiding behind the rules of the game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well if you can't take an insult without responding with violence, you've got small dick syndrome

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well if you can't take an insult without responding with violence, you've got small dick syndrome
IMO if you throw insults about people knowing that you can hide behind the rules and won't face any retaliation and that same insult outside the cricket pitch would likely turn your mouth into a chiclet container, that's a much surer sign of that syndrome.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They don't do it because the guy won't throw a punch. They do it because the guy won't throw a punch but will be pissed off and swing at a wide one and edge it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just so ridiculous SS that you believe in "winning at all costs" but are anti-sledging. It makes no sense.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just so ridiculous SS that you believe in "winning at all costs" but are anti-sledging. It makes no sense.
Depends how literally you mean 'at all costs'. But the idea that non-sledgers aren't as competitive as those who can't keep their mouths shut has always been lost on me. Or that generations prior to the widespread arrival of sledging were less competitive than those from 1980's onwards. And I still remain unconvinced that it happens in most sports.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm not a fan of sledging for the most part, especially when it goes over the top. Hence my well known hate for Watson. But SS has constantly promoted cheating in sports if the umpire doesn't catch you as a thing sportsmen shoudl do. So to criticise sledging is laughable when you hold such a view imo