• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Add any two players from history to your current WC squad

BeeGee

International Captain
Pelé and Bruce Grobbelaar. Greatest player of all time and the greatest keeper of all time.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pelé and Bruce Grobbelaar. Greatest player of all time and the greatest keeper of all time.
You have to be joking:laugh:

Even though I did see him pull off a wonder save from Dave Pullar right in front of me. Vital one as well, because the aggregate score was only 11-0.

Not a bad 'pool side though, early days in the Rush-Dalglish partnership.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He's criminally under-rated. I remember my son collecting footy cards before the last WC, and being quietly appalled that England's WC 'legends' included Shearer, but not Lineker.
10 goals in WCs puts him way ahead of any other Englishman. As well as most players from anywhere else.
Pretty disgraceful, Shearer only played in 1998 didn't he?

King Pietersen

International Captain
Vassell played the first game with Heskey on the left. From then on, we put Heskey up top, with either Scholes, or Sinclair on the left. What an awful team that was, amazed they got as far as they did in that tournament.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Heskey definitely wore number 11 that tournament. Sinclair took the number 4 after Gerrard dropped out.

Who was number 9?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fowler apparently. Didn't even remember him being there, he was a shadow of the great player he had been by then.

Man, if he'd been fit in 98 we'd have taken some serious quality up front. But then if he'd been fit, would have have taken Owen? Some people reckoned Hoddle only decided to take him when Ian Wright got injured, though I've never been convinced given Ferdinand was there.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That England team was probably the best one in recent memory tbh. Not on paper by any stretch. But the balance to the side was great, they played well, had good cover in most of the positions, and only got dumped out by by virtue of a freak goal.

Them beating Argentina, albeit through slightly fortunate means, was one of the best England performances I can remember.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It really hits home how out of whack the country's expectations were at the time. Looking back that team really doesn't look too good on paper, but squeaking out against Brazil in the quarters was seen as a horrible failure. You even had Southgate mouthing off about Eriksson's half time team talk and whatnot.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Given the circumstances it was a pretty bad loss, I guess. If they had beaten Brazil the tournament was basically there for the taking. Germany and Turkey were pretty much the only real credible remaining sides. Spain also might have threatened mind you, and South Korean refereeing decisions.