• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time World Cup XVs

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Extracting the Michael at why he's in an All Time World Cup XV
Probably fair enough, but I'm guessing ESPN might've had a panic when they realised that they'd no Celts at all in their team & his case was as good as any. Big Os at 1 for mine tho.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
2007 world cup XXII

Thought I'd have a bash based on performances in the WC so far:

1) Sheridan (ENG)
2) Smit (SA) (c)
3) Hayman (NZ)
4) Matfield (SA)
5) Shaw (ENG)
6) Elsom (AUS)
7) Dusautoir (FRA)
8) Maka (TON)
9) du Preez (SA)
10) Hernandez (ARG)
11) Habana (SA)
12) F Contepomi (ARG)
13) Mortlock (AUS)
14) Robinson (ENG)
15) Montgomery (SA)

Replacements: Prop: Stevens (ENG), Hooker: Ledesma (ARG), Lock/No 8: Chabal (FRA), Flanker: Collins (NZ), Scrum-half: Gomarsall (ENG), Fly-half: Wilkinson (ENG), Wing: Clerc (FRA).

Better explain myself, I suppose.

Front-row: Sheridan at loose-head is a no-brainer; as is Smit at hooker and captain, despite him being probably the most objectionable player so far (no small feat in any tournament containing Schalk Burger). Hayman makes tight-head as he really can't be blamed for NZ's shortcomings and his main competition (de Villiers) was going backwards on Sat. Stevens makes the bench as he covers both sides and a decidely useful player to bring on with twenty minutes left. Ledesma the replacement hooker as he's been the better all-round performer than any others who might come under consideration.

Locks: Ali Williams desperately unlucky here, missing out really because Shaw & Matfield have taken their teams further. Shaw's been quietly outstanding for us, giving us real impetus with his ball-carrying and Matfield has shown why he's the world's best line-out operator.

Loosies: Elsom was amazing for Australia in the group stages, so gets the blindside despite going missing in the QF. Dusautoir has been the stand-out openside (even if France have effectively played with two) & Maka was little short of a force of nature for Tonga in their two best performances (v SA & Samoa). Chabal provides cover for No 8 & second row from the bench. Collins was exceptional for NZ in the group stages too, so as I've included Elsom he makes it onto the bench.

Halves: du Preez has shown why he considered the world's best 9 and Gomarsall has been instrumental in getting us to the final. Hernandez was great when Argentina beat France, even if he's been less effective in the knock-out stages he's got enough credit in the bank to keep Jonny on the bench for now.

Centres: Contepomi has provided a nice alternate kicking outlet at 12 for Argentina and Mortlock did enough to prove he's the world's leading 13. No place kicking for him tho.

Outsides: Habana has proved to be the most deadly finisher on display, Robinson England's main (only) counter attacking option and I've stuck him on the wing to make room for Perce at 15. Clerc makes the bench ahead of Howlett & Mitchell as it seems counter-intuitive to include players left out of their respective teams' XVs for the quarter-finals.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chabal shouldn't get anywhere close to this kind of team, he's not actually thought good. Just a white, bearded version of Sione Lauaki. Impact for sure, but he doesn't really do much.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
1) Sheridan (ENG)
2) Smit (SA) (c)
3) Hayman (NZ)
4) Matfield (SA)
5) Shaw (ENG)
6) Collins (NZ)
7) Latu (TON)
8) Maka (TON)
9) du Preez (SA)
10) Hernandez (ARG)
11) Habana (SA)
12) F Contepomi (ARG)
13) Mortlock (AUS)
14) Mitchell (AUS)
15) Robinson (ENG)

16) Ledesma (ARG)
17) Stevens (ENG)
18) Elsom (AUS)
19) Juan Smith (RSA)
20) Pichot (ARG)
21) Fourie (RSA)
22) Latham (AUS)

No Wilkinson due to the fact that I think he'd hinder the side given their attacking nature! I've included Jaque Fourie, whos impressed me during the tournament, on the bench instead.

I might've been a bit harsh on Montgomery as well, while I left out Dusatoir as I believe Collins/Elsom and Latu/Juan Smith would be better flanker combinations. No Chabal for me either.

simmy

International Regular
Lol at not including Wilkinson...

To be honest, he has good hands and a bullet pass off both hands. He could be your rock in defense and with the boot and shift the ball early if you want to break an expansive backline free.

However I cannot argue with your selection of Hernandez. He really played well in every game bar the semi.