• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

As a Windies fan i'm insulted

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given that Oz didn't win it, I really didn't care who did but good on the Windies for doing so.

Unfortunately, I would bet a lot of money on the WICB hosing the proceeds up against a wall whilst the players continue to whinge about all and sundry

My only hope is that Windies don't darken Australia's test doorstep again until they have more than a couple of players with more than an ounce of respect for the countries that they represent - they were simply woeful in performance & attitude last summer and an insult to both the WI cap & the poor fools who paid good money to see them play

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
My thought was based a) on what I had seen in Australia, first during the World Cup and then during the recent Test matches against the Australians when the admirable Jason Holder received scant support from influential players around him, and then b) on the fact that many West Indians know their way around the IPL, which must be useful. But it was a throwaway, not a considered judgement, and frankly, pretty damn lazy because it did not take account of the different personnel.

I regret it and apologise for it.
Mark Nicholas' apology to Darren Sammy: West Indies' triumph of imagination and spirit | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Given that Oz didn't win it, I really didn't care who did but good on the Windies for doing so.

Unfortunately, I would bet a lot of money on the WICB hosing the proceeds up against a wall whilst the players continue to whinge about all and sundry

My only hope is that Windies don't darken Australia's test doorstep again until they have more than a couple of players with more than an ounce of respect for the countries that they represent - they were simply woeful in performance & attitude last summer and an insult to both the WI cap & the poor fools who paid good money to see them play
You're kidding, right?

Iirc, the squad gets 100% of the winnings. They wanted to also take 80% of icc revenue the board gets as well, and almost held the board to ransom for this.

Not saying the board are angels or anything but the (limited overs) players get more than their fair share.

social

You're kidding, right?

Iirc, the squad gets 100% of the winnings. They wanted to also take 80% of icc revenue the board gets as well, and almost held the board to ransom for this.

Not saying the board are angels or anything but the (limited overs) players get more than their fair share.
History says that the WICB will waste whatever they get from the tournament and the players will still whinge about their cut and their earnings going forward

Don't know what is controversial about those statements

It's like night follows day with these clowns

Last edited:

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Imagine how good the Windies could be if they weren't weighed down by the massive chips on their collective shoulders.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
West Indies captain Darren Sammy: "Firstly I want to thank the almighty. We have a pastor in the team in Andre Fletcher, we keep on praying. Really happy for this win, it's something we'll cherish for a long time. We have a few matchwinners, nobody give us a chance, every game somebody stepped up - good to see Carlos play like that in his debut World Cup. Shows the T20 depth we have in the Caribbean, hopefully we will continue to improve. People were wondering we would plays this tournament, we had issues with the board, Mark Nicholas called us players with no brain. But all of us came together, these 15 men put adversity aside, play this type of cricket in front of such passionate fans. It was tremendous. I want to thank the coaching team, Phil Simmons. We had a new manager in this tournament. Got to give credit to the entire team here. This is for all the fans in the Caribbean. I don't know when I'm going to be playing for West Indies again, I want to thank my team, thanks my coaching staff. This is for the CHAMPIONS!"

I'm not sammy, trust me. But as you can see the entire team was insulted and that's the problem. We shouldn't be insulting champions with BS comments. Racist etc .. But we won it all and i'm happy about that - keep your pretentious class in root. kohli etc and we will keep the power hitters and continue to win.
You're about as likeable as Marlon Samuels.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Talking of Marlon Samuels....

Geoff Lawson acuses Marlon of being a gangster. If that isn't libel I don't know what is!

“He’s tied up with some pretty shady people back in the West Indies, he’s a guy you don’t muck around with on or off the field,” Lawson said. “He’s tied up with the gangs there and it goes well beyond cricket.”

I don't pay him much attention. Could my Aussie friends tell me if he is a few marbles short of a set?! It certainly seems that way from those comments. I wish Marlon had kept his mouth shut. He has just provided a bunch of loons the perfect opportunity to moan.

Last edited:

social

Talking of Marlon Samuels....

Geoff Lawson acuses Marlon of being a gangster. If that isn't libel I don't know what is!

I don't pay him much attention. Could my Aussie friends tell me if he is a few marbles short of a set?! It certainly seems that way from those comments. I wish Marlon had kept his mouth shut. He has just provided a bunch of loons the perfect opportunity to moan.
In my experience, he is very level-headed, intelligent (qualified optometrist iirc) and normal to the point of being boring

Beamer

In my experience, he is very level-headed, intelligent (qualified optometrist iirc) and normal to the point of being boring
Interesting. So either he has lots of evidence for this statement or he has had a complete brain fade. If I were Marlon I would sue the daylights out of him to be honest. Those are serious allegations.

social

Interesting. So either he has lots of evidence for this statement or he has had a complete brain fade. If I were Marlon I would sue the daylights out of him to be honest. Those are serious allegations.
Well Samuels did get banned for 2 years and his association with at least one Asian gang is a matter of public record so .......

Beamer

Well Samuels did get banned for 2 years and his association with at least one Asian gang is a matter of public record so .......
That is a different kette of fish from basically calling Marlon a Jamaican gangster though is't it? Prety hard to defend that statment. Mind you Marlon said Shane's face isn't real so they'll all end up suing each other. It's all very childish and detracting from an amazing perfomance by our team. Oh well. Marlon should have kept his mouth shut, he hd already won the battle with his innings.

91Jmay

International Coach
Warne can't sue for that face thing surely? Lawyer can correct me if I am wrong but if the statement is obviously a joke that is normally protected speech isn't it

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Maybe it's a Dungeons and Dragons gang.

Last edited:

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
While I maybe a loon, I've disliked Marlon Samuels long before he mouthed off in his presser.

Beamer

While I maybe a loon, I've disliked Marlon Samuels long before he mouthed off in his presser.
No shame there, most people do. He's an idiot. I was more referring to it giving people the chance to talk about negative stuff rather than focusing on an incredible few months for West Indies cricket.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
All said and done, nothing else matters if they celebrate their victory like this:

Champions!