• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Statistical Quirks and Questions

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How many times has a player made his highest score with bat and taken his best figures with the ball in the same Test, as Joe Root has done this Test?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Imagine it happens on test debut pretty much all the time.

Interesting one is that Lords is only the second test ever where all 4 openers have been out LBW in the first innings. Staggering, really.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Two complete Tests in a home Ashes series and not a single rain break. Got to be a record, right?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Were there any rain breaks in the first 2 Tests of 2005?
Did it rain at the end of day one of the second test? I know England scored 400 from 80~ and I think Australia might not have batted at all because of bit of rain. I feel like Lord's might have had a break at some stage too but not sure when.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Did it rain at the end of day one of the second test? I know England scored 400 from 80~ and I think Australia might not have batted at all because of bit of rain. I feel like Lord's might have had a break at some stage too but not sure when.
Was Australia's over-rate not garbage due to a) having Brett Lee in the side and b) spending all day retrieving the ball from the boundary?

I'm sure England got a crack at Australia for a couple of overs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Were there any rain breaks in the first 2 Tests of 2005?
Yes. A few in the Lord's Test, definitely on day four at least. And Uppercut is right. We never got a bowl at them until day two because it started raining pretty much as soon as we got out.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I just read that Australia's top four batsmen have averaged 19.06 so far this series. To put that in perspective, the final four batsmen are doing a better job, averaging 20.07

Furball

Evil Scotsman
**** all to do with stats, but Sky are showing day 2 of the 1994/95 Sydney Test and it got me wondering - when and why did England stop wearing the MCC colours on tour?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In the last 6 Ashes Tests, Australia have scored more runs in our second innings compared to our first innings each time.

But here is a more unbelievable stat: In matches where we've completed both of our innings, the last time Australia has scored more runs in our first innings over our second innings against England goes way back to the second Test at Edgbaston 21 Tests ago!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Were there any tests in 2006/7 where you completed both innings?

I imagine "scoring fewer runs in the first innings than the second" correlates pretty highly with losing.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Were there any tests in 2006/7 where you completed both innings?

I imagine "scoring fewer runs in the first innings than the second" correlates pretty highly with losing.
No there wasn't and yes it does correlate. You would just think though there would be a couple of occasions where our main failure was the second innings. Its almost as though, England ease off a little (which is quite embarrassing really) or our batsman suddenly remember that we have to concentrate more and knuckle down a bit, second time around.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Thinking about it I'm not sure "ease off a little" is going to be a bad thing all the time. If you're defending 600 in the 4th innings then you're going to be well on board with the opposition scoring 400, so maybe you adjust your strategy accordingly. I think there's a little truth to that.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Get a big lead, set attacking fields and get 10 wickets. Runs don't matter in that situation as much as batting time does. If your opposition can't bat out the game for a draw because they aren't good enough with a big lead there's cheap runs to be made. There is pressure batting last but it's not run scoring pressure.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Both solid points. The easing off part is reasonable to a degree, but its mainly that Australia has just simply been outplayed/humiliated so often in the first innings, that its not exactly hard to beat a very low total.

@tangles, Cook hardly sets overly attacking fields second time around in search of quick wickets, but agree that on many occasions the pressure has been less.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The completed innings stat is a bit misleading as there are quite a lot of games which don't have every innings completed because of a high number of first innings runs. I'm sure Australia would've struggled to outscore their first innings score at Cardiff in 2009 for example. And obviously there's 2006/07.

But there have been numerous occasions where Australia have been absolutely tragic in the first innings and have either put up 2nd innings resistance or bailed themselves out. OT and Trent Bridge (2005), Lords, Edgbaston, the Oval (2009), Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne, Sydney (2010/11) so the stat does hold a lot of truth. More often than not those first innings collapses cost Australia the game as well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Clarke's 187 means he has more Ashes tons (5) than any other batsman playing in this series.

England fans can breathe easy though, as all of Clarke's 5 Ashes tons have been scored in the 2nd or 3rd Test of a series (Adelaide 06, Perth 06, Lord's 09, Edgbaston 09, Old Trafford 13).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Clarke's 187 means he has more Ashes tons (5) than any other batsman playing in this series.

England fans can breathe easy though, as all of Clarke's 5 Ashes tons have been scored in the 2nd or 3rd Test of a series (Adelaide 06, Perth 06, Lord's 09, Edgbaston 09, Old Trafford 13).
His failure to get to 200 means that Jason Gillespie is still the last crim batsman to make a double ton outside of Australia too.

His wicket did bring up a double century tho; he was Broad's 200th scalp. Meaning this is the first attack since 1982 where we're fielding a trio of double centurions. The last threesome, anyone?