• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia lack world class batting talent

adub

International Captain
Not sure I really want to watch us lose at home too though.
Nah, we'd just pick Murray Bennett or Dutchy Holland or Peter Taylor and we'd be sweet for the win at the SCG no matter how bad we were getting towelled up everywhere else.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Last home summer had a lot of roads iirc. I doubt the drop ins help domestically either. Batsmen get used to being able to hit through the ball.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Smitteh is gonna kill it at 3. No problem at all there. He'll give Punter's record @3 a real nudge. And yeah, moving Warner out of opening is a bad idea. He'll post a big total soon enough.

I said before he was picked that Buck wouldn't be a superstar but would be good for a dependable 40 average. Achieved that and has been great besides Warner but this will be his last series. I'd like to see Burns get that spot, but could live with Smarsh who seems to have got the inside running. Who ever misses out will be shadowing Voges, so we're reasonably covered. I've been a massive critic of Smarsh, but he does seem to have finally discovered some consistency, and Burns has done the smart thing by moving up to open for Qld and prospered there.

Things get a bit thin after that though and with Clarke being in perhaps his last two years we need some other guys in the Shield to step up. I had hopes for Carters, but he had a dog of a year last year. Maddinson might learn to bat time (but perhaps not), and Maxwell might come into contention again (but probably more as a no.6 v Marsh and maybe Moises). Horsehead Lynn will be there or there abouts if he can stay fit and make runs this summer, Ferg has had two solid summers on the trot so another big one could have him in the frame. Young guys like Bancroft and Handscomb need to back up last year's good results with another big year.

So no we can't say that a Waugh era dominating top 7 is just around the corner, but we're not at wrist slashing stage yet either.
Yeah

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
correct. And i'd love to see him be successful in england and decide he can commit to the home summer.

This is a bit unconventional, but what about (for the home summer):

Rogers
burns (?)
warner
clarke
smith
mmarsh
nevill

tbh, this gives me heaps more confidence than what we're rocking now. Think smith is more a middle order bat than a top order, and i just think warner could gun it at 3 with a couple of more old school openers above him.
dwta

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I don't disagree with the part about Rogers playing the home summer though. I love Bucky.

adub

International Captain
Smitteh is gonna kill it at 3. No problem at all there. He'll give Punter's record @3 a real nudge.
Lost.

World No.1 Batting Ranking.

Last seen looking confused in Cardiff.

If found please forward to owner S Smith
c/- Away Dressing Room
Lords Cricket Ground
St John's Wood Rd,
London NW8 8QN, United Kingdom

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia are going to lose this Ashes. And it is because their batting isn't good enough.
The holes in their batting were glossed over in this home summer's success but they have always been there.

It's not hard to see why:

2) Rogers is an average talent - lets' be perfectly frank about this. He's done ok in England but England is like a second home to him given how much county cricket he has played. He was thoroughly exposed when he played the South Africans last year. He's really lucky that he's only played in England or rather soft opposition (England, INdia)
at home. He's damn lucky he's retiring at the end of this series because I think he would be a dead duck in subcontinental conditions when Australia tour in 2016 /2017.

6) Watto - crap
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry for bumping this but I just couldn't stop laughing