• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia v Kenya

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
This is the team I hope Kenya will play against India. I have no idea why Vadher isn't playing, he's a good batsman. If Kennedy Otieno doesn't recover in time then open with David Obuya, his brother, who can also keep wicket.

KO Otieno
RD Shah
SO Tikolo
TM Odoyo
HS Modi
MO Odumbe
AV Vadher
CO Obuya
MA Suji
AY Karim
JO Angara

This is picked on players I rate and also players who have performed, unfortunately no one has stepped forward to take Modi's place even though he's not really done much. Just looking at the side you realise how many bowling options Kenya have, 7 bowlers!!! And it's their strongest batting lineup as well to be fair. Ongondo hasn't done much this WC and neither has Tony Suji so I replaced them with Vadher and Angara. With 7 bowlers I doubt picking a speciallist batsman such as Vadher will seriously weaken the bowling :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Errrr, to all those who thought that at 5-down there was only the tail to come after Harvey, check the scorecard and you'd see that next in was a man by the name of Damien Martyn. Australia were never going to lose, even allowing for Karim's excellent bowling.

I think the Aussies were just getting a look at the Kenyans in this match. Glenn McGrath bowling short at Tikolo was just see if he'd get rattled and to his credit, he didn't. Shah looks like your typical sub-continent player in that he mainly punches at the ball and relies on his VERY good timing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
Errrr, to all those who thought that at 5-down there was only the tail to come after Harvey, check the scorecard and you'd see that next in was a man by the name of Damien Martyn. Australia were never going to lose, even allowing for Karim's excellent bowling.

I don't think that any of us thought that the Kenyans would have the audacity to reduce the Aussies to 113 or so for 5. I suppose it really showed that the Australians themselves can suffer from complacency occasionally. The shots that the openers played to get out were surely just that - complacent, careless strokes.

I doubt if that will happen again (although Aasif Karim did bowl absolutely superbly and for a while Freak looked as if he were having grenades bowled at him).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
No the reason why Obuya and Martin Suji were innefective was the fields they were set by the stand in captain, Modi, who set a 7-3 offside field to the Leg Spinner who was reduced to bowling flat quick stuff and got wacked. He just had no cover in the deep so Gilchrist had a liscence to hit out. Suji was bowling without a proper mid on or mid off when bowling to Gilly and Hayden, 2 extreamly good drivers of the ball!
Let me guess, Peter Roebuck right?

And I guess the problem with the 7-3 field was that every time the batsman didn't hit it, it went for byes!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Ongondo hasn't done much this WC
From the reports I heard today, he was the outstanding quick bowler in the side - I can't see him being dropped after today.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd much rather pick Ongondo than Angara - who's living off one demolition job on India - with the ball, and Ongondo's a useful hitter as well.

The other place is Vadher v AO Suji (who has been poor) v Brijal Patel... 50/50.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
No the reason why Obuya and Martin Suji were innefective was the fields they were set by the stand in captain, Modi, who set a 7-3 offside field to the Leg Spinner who was reduced to bowling flat quick stuff and got wacked. He just had no cover in the deep so Gilchrist had a liscence to hit out. Suji was bowling without a proper mid on or mid off when bowling to Gilly and Hayden, 2 extreamly good drivers of the ball!
I didn't say a thing about Suji's bowling:rolleyes: . I said if Suji caught that easy catch then AUS would have been55/2 and the batsman would have played slowly as Gilchrist would have gone. Then Obuya would have found his Rhythm then he would have picked up some wickets.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
From the reports I heard today, he was the outstanding quick bowler in the side - I can't see him being dropped after today.
I don't call 3 wickets in 8 games at an average of 62.66 the "outstanding quick bowler in the side"

Anyway I picked Angara so there :P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
I don't call 3 wickets in 8 games at an average of 62.66 the "outstanding quick bowler in the side"
If you read what I put, I was talking about the one game - Aus vs. Kenya.

If he stays in for the first 7 games, then after that last game, he definitely stay in!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Outstanding seamer against Australia...
Yes but Angara has taken 1 less wicket in 7 less games :)

It was the side I would like to see, not the side that would be chosen

:)