• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic off season 2020

Midwinter

State Captain
Definitely valid, but at least what was published isn't anything beyond what anyone external would be able to tell you.

That it was an extremely thorough review and spoke to lots of people with great insight but just can't be made public because there's commercially sensitive info in it, but should just trust how thorough it is based on the issues identified in the exe summary.
Thanks for explaining it.

It sounds a bit like "the cheque is in the mail".

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Queensland squad:

Nationally contracted: Joe Burns, Marnus Labuschagne

State squad: Xavier Bartlett, Max Bryant, Brendan Doggett, Blake Edwards, Sam Heazlett, Usman Khawaja, Matthew Kuhnemann, Nathan McSweeney, Michael Neser, Lachlan Pfeffer, Jimmy Peirson, Matt Renshaw, Billy Stanlake, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street, Mitch Swepson, Jack Wildermuth, Jack Wood

Rookies: Jack Clayton, Benji Floros, Corey Hunter, Connor Sully, Matthew Willans

IN: Jack Wood (new), Jack Clayton (rookie), Benji Floros (rookie)

OUT: Cameron Gannon (WA), Charlie Hemphrey (Glamorgan), Alister McDermott, Jack Prestwidge

Not a great deal of changes here, Gannon westward bound long confirmed, Alister McDermott unfortunately had his back go on him yet again. Benji Floros is indeed the younger brother of Jason, a fast bowler who like the rest of his family is of an indoor cricket background

Victoria squad:

Nationally contracted: Aaron Finch, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson

Squad: Scott Boland, Xavier Crone, Travis Dean, Zak Evans, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Seb Gotch, Peter Handscomb, Sam Harper, Marcus Harris, Mackenzie Harvey, Jon Holland, Nic Maddinson, Jono Merlo, Tom O'Connell, Wil Parker, Mitch Perry, Will Pucovski, Matthew Short, Will Sutherland.

Rookies: Sam Elliott, Tom Jackson, Patrick Rowe, Todd Murphy, Brody Couch, Cameron McClure

IN: Wil Parker, Brody Couch (rookie), Tom Jackson (rookie), Cameron McClure (rookie), Todd Murphy (rookie).

OUT: Peter Siddle (Tasmania), Chris Tremain (NSW), Andrew Fekete (retired), Aaron Ayre, Jackson Coleman, Jake Reed, Eamonn Vines, Ed Newman

Quite an extensive turnover here, especially among the pace bowling stocks, losing both Siddle and Tremain is a massive blow to their attack, and they have largely went with homegrown rookies to replace them. Wil Parker commits himself to cricket over taking a shot in the AFL draft, clearly they are grooming him as the successor when Holland moves on eventually
Pucovski, McGurk, Harvey, Parker are a pretty exciting set of young players.

Much will depend on the young seamers like Sutherland, Crone, Evans and Perry with their greater responsibility. Any idea how good they are and can be ? Compared to say WA's Paris/Richardson & Queensland's Stanlake/Bartlett.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't rate Harvey. McGurk could be Maxwell 2.0, but he's still very young.

The seamers are all ok but not particularly excited about any of them.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The JFM - Maxwell comparisons are intetesting, have thought the same myself. Not an entitely uncommon sight to see him get off the mark with a maximum. He certainly backs his own ability, that's for sure

Fwiw I quite like the look of Evans, got a touch more pace than the others there. More a skiddy type of bowler from what I have seen, generally looks to pitch it up and attack the stumps at good clip, Sutherland looks more a bounce bowler, not as quick but can get some awkward lift and movement, generally back in to the RHB

Apparently Herb Jr Elliott is pretty sharp but I can't say I have ever seen him bowl. McClure impressed me in the U19 bationals, probably still a fair way off senior representation but a name I will keep an eye on all the same

Burgey

If Herb Jnr is as good at his chosen sport as the old bloke, he will be an ATG.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't rate Harvey. McGurk could be Maxwell 2.0, but he's still very young.

The seamers are all ok but not particularly excited about any of them.
Oliver Davies is far more likely to be Maxwell 2.0 then mc-gurk if anyone in the current Australian youth group.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
With it seeming increasingly likely most of the properly big names will miss the start of the Shield for some IPL crore, I suspect we will see some seriously questionable teams being put on the park with all the players unavailable.

Apart from here in South Australia where we put out questionable teams anyway, more or less normal service will be resumed

aussie tragic

International Captain
Qld tested out the 100 format with a Labuschagne XI vs Burns XI. Renshaw made 92 out of 7-177 but then Labuschagne made 95* to win the match with 10 balls spare

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Renshaw saying he's open to batting in the middle order is an interesting developmemt.

Hypothetically I think it's possible considering how little QLD are likely to see of Marnus during the season, they do have limited middle order options really, Heazlett is talented but flatters to deceive too often, and none of the younger batsman on their list really have shown much to make a case for themselves.

Could plausibly see simething like this starting off:

Burns
Street
Khawaja
Renshaw
Heazlett
Wildermuth
Pierson
Neser
Steketee
Swepson
Bartlett/Stanlake/Edwards

TheJediBrah

I like the idea of Renshaw in the middle-order. Always struck me as a bit of a loose technique for an opener with the big wide backlift.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I like the idea of Renshaw in the middle-order. Always struck me as a bit of a loose technique for an opener with the big wide backlift.
Yeah I must admit even though I didn't see this coming, I think the idea has some definite merit aboit it.

A lot depends on who is available when

aussie tragic

International Captain
Until December tests start Labuschagne would be available wouldn't he (I see cricinfo still showing T20Is against India early October but surely that won't be happening as tests start 2 months later?)

Full strength Qld has a pretty good top 8 if Khawaja and Renshaw can return to form.

Burns, Street, Labuschagne, Khawaja, Renshaw, Wildermuth, Pierson, Neser

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Word is that contracted players in Queensland won’t be available for many grade games as Bulls want to minimise chances of COVID infection

Seems a bit extreme when you consider that there’s virtually no cases here

aussie tragic

International Captain
^ not really extreme. Just like NRL, AFL and F1 they want people to stay in their team bubble. They are playing squad practice games.

This makes it unlikely for players to make the jump from grade to enter the squad bubble this year (they could do 14 day quarantine though)

Any talk about Vic and NSW relocating states like the footy?

Last edited:

Burgey

Bert made a counter offer by Cricket NSW which he's taken and is staying put with Parra and (hopefully) the Bl00s for the season ahead.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Ahh thats an interesting development. As far as I am aware the only way he could find his way back onto the NSW list immediately is if someone voluntarily stepped down like Jason Floros did a couple of years back. If not then I guess he just has to hope NSW pick him enough to earn it back that way.

Lots of questions about the NSW side, probably the hardest to predict lineupwise

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ahh thats an interesting development. As far as I am aware the only way he could find his way back onto the NSW list immediately is if someone voluntarily stepped down like Jason Floros did a couple of years back. If not then I guess he just has to hope NSW pick him enough to earn it back that way.

Lots of questions about the NSW side, probably the hardest to predict lineupwise
My best guess: Nick Larkin is going to play for Ireland.

I'd like to really emphasise that this is a guess and that I am spreading no rumours. No rumours at all.