• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian selectors how good are they

Redbacks

International Captain
MMarsh is a better bowler than batsman. Given our attack he might not actually be needed, so unless he continues to score a lot of runs, we could pick a batsman instead most of the time.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Yeah especially when he's only making 50s here and there. When he was tonning up every few games and averaging 60 at home it was a bit more forgivable.

I don't what's happened to you during this series but you've fallen off the deep end and I don't understand what you get out of this constant offensive whining. Never had a problem with you before.
I think it is fairly obvious that I'm rarely serious. I'm always as they say here, pulling the piss. I am surprised people interpret it as 'negativity'.

Midwinter

State Captain
Congratulations to the selectors

Of course we will never know if other players would have been just as successful.

But we have won that Ashes and that is all that matters this summer,

Well done
:)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
smh. He's been really good.

4 innings, 224 runs, average of almost 80.

In Adelaide played the knock (126*) that probably swayed the series our way completely.
Yes he has. I think people were expecting him to have one or two good innings and then do nothing for 12 months while getting a free ride. That was the criticism and it's yet to be seen if that's going to be the case.

Remember it was only a few months ago he was dropped for being rubbish.

stephen

The Paine selection has been inspired. Kept and batted really well.
Yep. It was a calculated gamble that has paid off. The selectors were forced into a corner by the direness of the other choices and made an inspired left-field choice in Paine. Easily the best pick of the lot.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Really happy for Paine and makes me wonder how he would've gone had injury and circumstances had been different and he'd played in the early-mid 10s instead of Haddin. He probably wouldn't have had a monster batting series like Haddin did in 13/14 but I think he certainly would've done better than Haddin did overseas.

Gob

International Coach
MMarsh is a better bowler than batsman. Given our attack he might not actually be needed, so unless he continues to score a lot of runs, we could pick a batsman instead most of the time.
That is exactly why he is needed. All three fast bowlers are extremely prone to injuries so work load management is hugely important

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mitcheh really did surprise me - no way did I think he was capable of such an innings. Kudos, selectors.

stephen

That's the second time someone had linked to a page in a thread that doesn't make sense. Why doesn't everyone use the maximum posts per page setting like me?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
While better than Wade Paine has had like 1 drop per innings. Hasn't had a big affect yet since we're at home against minnows.

eempyrean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
While better than Wade Paine has had like 1 drop per innings. Hasn't had a big affect yet since we're at home against minnows.
Last 4 series for Aus in England : Played 4 lost 4

Last 4 series for Eng in Australia: Played 4 won 1 lost 3

Oh dear boyo. Looks like you're smaller than England when away from home!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last 4 series for Aus in England : Played 4 lost 4

Last 4 series for Eng in Australia: Played 4 won 1 lost 3

Oh dear boyo. Looks like you're smaller than England when away from home!
Good one, sure showed him

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
The selectors are only as good as the players they have to pick. Take this same team over to the UAE or India and Aus get hammered...well they did already. Bring them to England and they might be as competitive as England are in Aus.

Everything must be in context. This is not the side of the last decade, who could win away and at home. And I can't see if England or Australia developing a truly great side in the near future so expect plenty of home wins and away losses in the coming Ashes series, as has been the case for the past few years.

Spark

Global Moderator
The selectors are only as good as the players they have to pick. Take this same team over to the UAE or India and Aus get hammered...well they did already. Bring them to England and they might be as competitive as England are in Aus.

Everything must be in context. This is not the side of the last decade, who could win away and at home. And I can't see if England or Australia developing a truly great side in the near future so expect plenty of home wins and away losses in the coming Ashes series, as has been the case for the past few years.
ok