• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Squad

Craig

World Traveller
Mark Viduka, along with David Beckham, Gabriel Heinze, and Smuel Eto'o should be banned from taking penalties by their national side.

I know that Cameroon didn't make it, but my point still stands about not taking penalties.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Schwarzer was brilliant, as was Chipperfield he took care of van persie and the replacements in the 2nd half looked solid.
Bresciano probably had his quietest game for us in a long time and Craig Moore made some terrible decisions in defence, they didnt really cost us in this game but they might in the future.
I dont want to see dukes taking any more spot kicks as long as im alive.

Simon

Also Wilkshire was poor before he got sent off, i think we saw a real gulf in class as to who are our top players, playing against a word class side i dont know what Hiddink thought a guy who plays in League One could add, the guys who are our best like Viduka, Cahill and Emerton showed why.

Cloete

International Captain
broncoman said:
Also Wilkshire was poor before he got sent off, i think we saw a real gulf in class as to who are our top players, playing against a word class side i dont know what Hiddink thought a guy who plays in League One could add, the guys who are our best like Viduka, Cahill and Emerton showed why.
Emerton was ********* for mine. Holds the ball far too long and chose the wrong options. Let's not even go into his defensive problems. Thought Wilkshire handled it well to be honest. Still a big gulf in class, but for a guy playing League One he did quite well. Set it up for Viduka to put it over the abr while being wrestled to the ground. Moore had a poor game but he can still tackle ok. Once he gets some match fitness in he'll be back to his best with his passing and positioning.

Decent performance 2nd half. Thing we also have to remember is that the Dutch played a top side while we were missing some big names, or they were just returning to match fitness. IMO a fair result would have been 2-1 to the Dutch but it was definitely a well fought match, particularly in the 2nd period. Kewell would add alot to the team thoguh and I think Zelic was corect when he said at the least, he'll kept their defence busy. Because they were just dominating us in midfield first half with Wilkshire and Grella there and Bresciano was barely involved. Grella had another solid game after a shocking start though. I think Hiddink should let him have 20 minutes in a practice match before a real game so that he comes out and plays well straight away :laugh:. He is a class act when he's playing well though. Culina also had a quiet one but what little he had to do, he did very well (as always).

Definitely a good result, if a tad undeserved. But we showed enough signs last night/this morning for me to say that we CAN DEFINITELY qualify if we play fairly well (not even at our best IMO).

Simon

Cloete said:
Emerton was ********* for mine. Holds the ball far too long and chose the wrong options. Let's not even go into his defensive problems. Thought Wilkshire handled it well to be honest. Still a big gulf in class, but for a guy playing League One he did quite well. Set it up for Viduka to put it over the abr while being wrestled to the ground. Moore had a poor game but he can still tackle ok. Once he gets some match fitness in he'll be back to his best with his passing and positioning.

Decent performance 2nd half. Thing we also have to remember is that the Dutch played a top side while we were missing some big names, or they were just returning to match fitness. IMO a fair result would have been 2-1 to the Dutch but it was definitely a well fought match, particularly in the 2nd period. Kewell would add alot to the team thoguh and I think Zelic was corect when he said at the least, he'll kept their defence busy. Because they were just dominating us in midfield first half with Wilkshire and Grella there and Bresciano was barely involved. Grella had another solid game after a shocking start though. I think Hiddink should let him have 20 minutes in a practice match before a real game so that he comes out and plays well straight away :laugh:. He is a class act when he's playing well though. Culina also had a quiet one but what little he had to do, he did very well (as always).

Definitely a good result, if a tad undeserved. But we showed enough signs last night/this morning for me to say that we CAN DEFINITELY qualify if we play fairly well (not even at our best IMO).
I disagree, we will definately have to play our best to make it through the group, lets face it, we cant lose to either Croatia or Japan and we need to take our chances if we are to get the points neccisary, we are never gonna have a lot of chances in a match given the way we play.

Steulen

International Regular
I was impressed by Australia, good physical play with some decent midfielders adding proper football to the mix.

Watch out for Japan, though, I saw them go 2-0 up to Germany last week with brilliant short play.

Australia definitely has a chance to go to the second round.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Really enjoyable match to watch, Schwarzer is a gun. We`ll beat Japan, but only Japan IMO.

ash chaulk

International Captain
emerton did look slow.... we should beat lietchenstein and hopefully no injuries and milligan and beauchamp get a game

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Cloete said:

I would have been interested to see Harry come on when Thompson did, Thompson got in behind the Dutch backs quite a few times but just didn't have a good enough first touch to do more.

All in all it was a great leadup for the Aussies considering we have Brazil in our World Cup group.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: :laugh: Thankyou Guus

Daily Telegraph
Viduka penalty sacking

By DAVID LEWIS in Rotterdam

June 06, 2006

MARK Viduka may have taken his last penalty while Guus Hiddink is in charge of the Socceroos after yesterday missing his second successive spot kick for his country.

Fortunately for the skipper, teammate Tim Cahill turned Viduka's blushes into gushes of gratitude by crashing in the rebound after his 53rd-minute penalty against the Dutch had hit the crossbar.

But Hiddink wasn't as obliging as Cahill, hinting strongly that after Viduka's penalty shootout miss against Uruguay last November this was a faux pas too far.

Asked if Viduka would take a spot kick at the World Cup, he replied "No", adding, "That is my spontaneous reaction. We'll have to think about it and talk about it.

"But I'm not sure. I think my spontaneous reaction was the truth."

Viduka won the penalty himself after being tugged back after latching on to a Luke Wilshire chip with Australia trailing to Ruud van Nistelrooy's ninth-minute goal.

After an interminable delay he struck the ball well enough amid a cascade of cat-calls from a sellout crowd at Rotterdam's De Kuip Stadium.

But it cannoned back into play off the woodwork, hit the back of keeper Edwin van der Saar and was finally stabbed home by ever-alert Everton poacher Cahill.

An unruffled Viduka won't be backward in coming forward again, should Hiddink permit it.

"I didn't think I would take it," he revealed. "Craig Moore said he'd take it. Then I said: 'No, I'll take it'.

"I made a decision. I'll take another 100 if that's what it takes for me to score.

"I'd rather put my name up to take a penalty and miss than not step forward at all.

"It was so noisy I couldn't even hear the whistle of the referee (to take the kick). I had to look over to him. I was unlucky and lucky at the same time because Timmy scored."

Viduka, replaced after 70 minutes after another influential performance for his country, added: "I think I'll buy Timmy a drink. I'll buy everyone a drink."

Viduka, 30, summed up the significance of the 1-1 draw like this: "There are not many teams higher than Holland, they love to play the ball around. Holding them to a draw at home means we can mix it with the best and compete.

"It was a great result. We never gave up: we stuck in there, even with 10 men. At 1-0 down, Guus was still confident at halftime that we'd do well. That relaxes the team and gives us confidence. Afterwards, the boss was happy."

Viduka, who also came desperately close with a first-half header, added: "This was a great workout. I think we'll be ready for Japan. But first we have to think about Lichtenstein (Thursday AEST)."

Craig

World Traveller
Gerard Houllier is supposed to be replacing Guus Hiddink as the Australian manager.

He was linked to this job a few years ago, before Frank Farina resigned/sacked and Hiddink achieved hero status here in Australia and his contract is pretty big as well. The deal will allow him to finish the season with Lyon and Graham Arnold will take over in that time to deal with the Asian Cup qualifiers.

I have mixed feelings about this, he achieved plenty of success at Liverpool, without winning the Premiership (and some quite frankly rubbish buys in the form of El-Hopeless Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou etc.) and this is what got him sacked. He also didn't have a good time at as manager of France and they failed to qualify for the 1994 World Cup.

True he did win Ligue 1 with Lyon, but their domination of the league (and people think Chelsea are bad) and the lack of any geniune competition, I would be shocked if anybody stops them anytime soon. But he does have a good record in the French youth teams, in fact quite good, which produced the likes of Henry, Trezeguet, Anelka (when he isn't being an egotistical freak and falling out with everybody) etc. and he does have a big reputation.

There are probably better options, but he would be a big name catch, but he better get Australia into the 2010 World Cup with his reported massive paypacket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Liverpool fans were always divided under Houllier. But I'll say this, in Steven Gerrard he had one of the world's best midfielders, nay, players, but used him as a deep lying midfielder, alongside Hamann, where the pair of them would play the holding role together. Everyone knows that Steven Gerrard is excellent and getting from box to box and scoring from outside the box, but Houllier restricted him. The football was, I believe, not pretty.

Conversation from December 04:

me said:
Tranmere were crap last night, we just didn't turn up
my red Dad said:
That was like Liverpool last season
He is a decent manager, but will probably bore the Aussies to tears and make some baffling decisions.

Simon

id still prefer Martin O'Neill, we know Lyon definately wont be allowing him to leave, so if he takes the job now he will be dividing his time but i think we need someone fulltime now...