• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australianism

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The whole Sally Robbins saga pinpointed how important it is for Aussies to never give up when representing our country. She was the most talked about person in Australia at the Greece Olympics because she didn't display 'Australianism' and that just isn't accepted by fans, media etc here.

It's hard to gauge how other countries compare to Australians though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha old Lay Down Sally.

Kind of felt sorry for her, but then I think about her teammates and I dont.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have the greatest respect for Australian sporting culture (obsession with water-based sports excepted). If there is ever an example of culture and environment impacting sport then we can just compare Aus and Eng. Australia is on another level in terms of sport across the board.

TBH, I think if they looked different then people would take the easy way out and lazily blame genetics.

Serious question, is it possble that a reason for this ability to take sport to another level is partially based on the fact that Aus has a pretty small population, very isolated and isnt particularly significant in global affairs and that sport gives the opportunity to make a massive impression internationally? Just a random thought.

pasag

RTDAS
It's a bit of a self-fulfilling thing as well though. Teams buy into the myth a bit and leads to their downfall.

Fusion

Global Moderator
It's a bit of a self-fulfilling thing as well though. Teams buy into the myth a bit and leads to their downfall.
That's certainly true in the case of Pakistan. They expect to lose to Australia. Even when they're in a winning position, they have a mental fear that it will all slip away. Combine that with Australia's "never say die" attitude, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There is simply not another team I admire more in all of sports than Australia when it comes to this fighting spirit.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One downside of the 'Aussie attitude' is that you can never admit when you just don't give a **** or you were outplayed by an equal or inferior team. The Aussies last year in the T20 WC were clearly gearing up for the Ashes series in their selections yet it was all "We're desperate to win/we want to be the best at this form of the game". It's completely obvious the selection of Clarke as T20 captain is a nod to his future Test captaincy. And there have been many ODI series' over the years where, going into it, the public statements have been all "We're here to win" etc. but the selections have about blooding young blokes or giving Shield stalwarts a go. And, of course, going into a series against a weak team, you have to talk them up as being 'better than their results suggest' so you have an out if they steal a win off you i.e. "We didn't play to our potential" rather than "They were better than us." Tend to over-rate ourselves in other sports too; the reaction when beaten by Iran in the soccer years ago was ridiculous.

Some series do matter more than others and it's I reckon it's okay to admit that not to mention that some teams do outplay you sometimes. Hell, everyone knows England are Ashes-centric because they don't hide it. The dishonesty bugs me a bit. That said, I'm open to the argument that the reason OZ do so well is because of this level of denial but it doesn't make the teams popular, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah, they don't really have it so much in the test side anymore. They quite visibly become disheartened at times and are prone to collapsing all out for under 200.

In LO cricket it's freaky.
*sigh*

This is why you don't get it.

It isn't about the talent, it isn't about the aura, it isn't about having all-timers.

It's a mindest is all. It can be ugly, and it doesn't always work and it sure as hell doesn't make you friends.

Vut it's not meant to. And it's about finding out as much about your own players as it is the opposition.

It's why some blokes, even though they're talented, just won't last within that team environment. Guys like Mattt Elliott for example.

Again, it's not right, but it's there. Guys who are perceived as having a mental chink in their armour will not last in the Australian cricket team. Can't enphasise enough - it's not always right, but it's there and it does in some small way explain the way Aussies approach their sport.

Top_Cat

Yeah and it can be **** for more expressive blokes as they quickly find themselves on the outer. The Aussies Test side would rather carry a clearly-in-denial Tubby Taylor over a Slater, still hitting them well, but going through a rough trot personally because one of them is better at saying the right things to the right blokes at the right time. The results have been awesome but geez a lot of players have been burnt over the years.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's interesting how some of the Australian players with less stereotypical Ockeresque personalities cope with the team/mateship ethos. For years MacGill was thought of as a bit of loose cannon for seemingly no other reason than he drunk wine rather than beer and occasionally voiced opinions but equally Gilchrist, who if his autobiography is a fair reflection genuinely struggled at times, seemed like the identikit "winning" Aussie because he sucked it up and (publically at least) towed the party line.

Gilly's only outward eccentricity was his habit of walking. One wonders that if he hadn't been so lavishly talented and secure of his place if he would've done the same?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's interesting how some of the Australian players with less stereotypical Ockeresque personalities cope with the team/mateship ethos. For years MacGill was thought of as a bit of loose cannon for seemingly no other reason than he drunk wine rather than beer and occasionally voiced opinions but equally Gilchrist, who if his autobiography is a fair reflection genuinely struggled at times, seemed like the identikit "winning" Aussie because he sucked it up and (publically at least) towed the party line.

Gilly's only outward eccentricity was his habit of walking. One wonders that if he hadn't been so lavishly talented and secure of his place if he would've done the same?
Think his habit of being a loose cannon in the change rooms and on the field on occasion might have also had something to do with it. They still talked about him in the Devon area, apparently he almost had a fight with the captain of his team and said a couple of things to umpires that wouldn't have gone down well.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have the greatest respect for Australian sporting culture (obsession with water-based sports excepted). If there is ever an example of culture and environment impacting sport then we can just compare Aus and Eng. Australia is on another level in terms of sport across the board.

TBH, I think if they looked different then people would take the easy way out and lazily blame genetics.

Serious question, is it possble that a reason for this ability to take sport to another level is partially based on the fact that Aus has a pretty small population, very isolated and isnt particularly significant in global affairs and that sport gives the opportunity to make a massive impression internationally? Just a random thought.
It's also cheap to play and the weather allows us to play non-stop for the whole year in most cases.

Think what you mentioned also might play a part. Not sure if it's backed up with any evidence, but I always think people from country areas seem to be pretty good at most of the sports I've played...not sure if it's because there's no other distractions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think his habit of being a loose cannon in the change rooms and on the field on occasion might have also had something to do with it. They still talked about him in the Devon area, apparently he almost had a fight with the captain of his team and said a couple of things to umpires that wouldn't have gone down well.
Think his, er, youthful excesses broadly still fall into the stereotypical Aussie will to win tho. Probably stepped over the line more than most, but doubt there's many choirboys in your average Australian international side.

From the outside looking in it seemed as if it was more his off-field habits that separated him from those around him, rather than being a bit of a hot-head.

Life on Limbrick

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Its all down to the non existence of pressure.

Pressure doesn't actually exist, it's just a feeling of doing something you are supposed to do.

Thats why the Australians dont feel pressure,

They don't want to do what their supposed to do,

its in their genes,

as their ancestors are criminals.

FACT.

treamcast34

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

This has come up before and for a long time it was what I thought too. But in speaking to Aussies about it (including one who married into the family), and spending some time over there, I don't think so. They have an unusual culture - not a care in the world about what's happening elsewhere; their standing in global affairs; and absolutely no outward desire to change that. They just seem to be perfectly happy where they are. When you try to jibe them with something about them being "insignificant on a global scale" in terms of their politics and economy, they don't take it as an insult. It doesn't mean anything to them.

By and large they appear to have no great desire to learn about history of any kind other than in the field of their own sport. Not a word of a lie, the average historical knowledge of an early-20s Australian comes across as worse than what a primary school kid would have here in England. I was appalled at that. They're also not the most religious bunch; most I spoke to view it with contempt.

I do think that because they don't put a lot of energy into the things other countries traditionally do, they have a lot left over to focus on building themselves as competitors. But I'm not convinced the motive behind it is to build their international profile, "conquer the world" if you will. I'm inclined to think the sole driving force is a love of the contest.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Quite a talent you've got there, spoken to a few of us and spent some time here and you got us down pat! Don't fall in the the trap of lazily stereotyping 20 million of us with the few brief experiences you've had. I've lived here my whole life and I don't understand us and the paradoxes, diversity and hypocrisy in this society may mean I never will despite the fact it'll always be a significant part of my job. Unless you think we're all Steve Irwin and Paul Hogan clones...

Last edited: