• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh Thread

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
this kind of **** gets me piss off. What **** are you talking about? He's one of the most talented bantsmen.
Calm down mate, that attitude will get you nowhere.

Well paddle seems to be their innovations shots that they are doing, like Dhoni with his unorthodox shots, a lot of players have their own shots.
That's true, but I was more angry at the lack of proper and classy shots that the batsman were playing, the TV reporters and producers obviously want everybody to think that the batsman are "cheeky" and innovative, as opposed to being good batsman.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
this kind of **** gets me piss off. What **** are you talking about? He's one of the most talented bantsmen.
Talent does not automatically equate to success though. Normally to back up this statement, I'd point to the case of Mohammad Ashraful - however that's obviously futile in this argument, so I'll point to Marlon Samuels. He has ridiculous amounts of talent but has done little with it other than spazmodic and rare performances.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
man, tbh, im just fad up with people not giving credit to the so called "minnows" when they deserve it. Instead they have to say something negative to take it away from them.

Perm

Talent does not automatically equate to success though. Normally to back up this statement, I'd point to the case of Mohammad Ashraful - however that's obviously futile in this argument, so I'll point to Marlon Samuels. He has ridiculous amounts of talent but has done little with it other than spazmodic and rare performances.
Samuels has actually idolised Steve Waugh for quite a while now, not sure how many years, so I'm suprised that he hasn't tried to emulate Waugh's legendary mental ability.

Pretty dire even by their standards tbh. Just looks prettier.
Disagree, quite clearly he is very talented and has occasionally put the performances on the board. Not often enough for my liking, but he is starting to improve and I think that's obvious. He's been going quite well at this tournament and when he was dropped from the side last, he went back to domestic cricket and scored a century and double century in the space of two or three games. The mental aspect of his game is lacking, but once he gets that sorted I am confident he'll come good.

Perm

man, tbh, im just fad up with people not giving credit to the so called "minnows" when they deserve it. Instead they have to say something negative to take it away from them.
There will always be optimists and pessimists. The optimists among us beleive that Bangladesh are, and will improve while the pessimists will continue to write them off as "not good enough".

thierry henry

International Coach
Samuels has actually idolised Steve Waugh for quite a while now, not sure how many years, so I'm suprised that he hasn't tried to emulate Waugh's legendary mental ability.

Disagree, quite clearly he is very talented and has occasionally put the performances on the board. Not often enough for my liking, but he is starting to improve and I think that's obvious. He's been going quite well at this tournament and when he was dropped from the side last, he went back to domestic cricket and scored a century and double century in the space of two or three games. The mental aspect of his game is lacking, but once he gets that sorted I am confident he'll come good.
He just averages low 20s like all their other crappy players over the years, he's pretty much your garden variety dire Bangladeshi batsman circa 2000-2006....whereas imo atm their top order is (a little bit) better than in the past and actually has some players who have performed at a higher standard thus far.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah, you can be critical of them but at least give credit that they deserve. But some will never do that and continue to just be negative even when they deserve credit.

thierry henry

International Coach
I never said that. I give Bangladesh credit for two good wins and I absolutely loved it- but that has nothing to do with the consistently woeful performances of one Mohammad Ashraful over the years.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
He just averages low 20s like all their other crappy players over the years, he's pretty much your garden variety dire Bangladeshi batsman circa 2000-2006....whereas imo atm their top order is (a little bit) better than in the past and actually has some players who have performed at a higher standard thus far.
his average doesn't do him justice. But since he's been back he's been performing.

Perm

So did Jacob Oram and Brendon McCullum before their recent heroics during the CB and Chappell Hadlee series. His average doesn't do him justice, and I'm sure that excuse has been used before. He quite clearly is one of their best batsman, despite having a low average. Everybody knows what he is capable of and how classy he is, once he starts stringing the performances together then people like you will be able to see aswell.

thierry henry

International Coach
So did Jacob Oram and Brendon McCullum before their recent heroics during the CB and Chappell Hadlee series.
That's completely different as they are lower order players. And Oram has been crap with the bat most of his ODI career.

His average doesn't do him justice, and I'm sure that excuse has been used before. He quite clearly is one of their best batsman, despite having a low average. Everybody knows what he is capable of and how classy he is, once he starts stringing the performances together then people like you will be able to see aswell.
Exactly, it's an excuse. To be a good batsman you score runs, Ashraful doesn't. 5 and a half years into his career and the most anyone could possibly say is that he has perceived potential combined with pathetic performance.

Perm

That's completely different as they are lower order players. And Oram has been crap with the bat most of his ODI career.
Wasn't really a good example to be using.

Exactly, it's an excuse. To be a good batsman you score runs, Ashraful doesn't. 5 and a half years into his career and the most anyone could possibly say is that he has perceived potential combined with pathetic performance.
He was thrust into International cricket at such a young age that chances of him succeeding were going to be very slim, he has had some very good performances though and needs to be more consistent with them in order to be recognised as a good batsman. Perceived potential? Are you saying that you don't think Ashraful has any potential?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I never said that. I give Bangladesh credit for two good wins and I absolutely loved it- but that has nothing to do with the consistently woeful performances of one Mohammad Ashraful over the years.
That may be so, but he's also almost single handedly been the cause of their two biggest victories in their ODI cricket history, at least in terms of opposition.

Bangladesh shouldn't build the team around him, definitely not, but he's a pure matchwinner when he's on.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It really is crazy, you know - I come on CW full of intention on saying well done to Bangladesh, it seems they might actually finally be getting somewhere - and all I get the chance to do is respond to crap like this. 8-)
I think the phrase that springs to mind is "you reap what you sow"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Alright Richard, Keep the bringing the Hate at some point you must realize how stupid you sound espically talking about Ashraful the way you are. The skill set is all their for him to be a Top 5 Batsmen in the world, he might not have it upstairs with shot selection at times but when his his brain his working i'll take him over anybatsmen in international cricket.
That's such nonsense it beggars belief.

Anyhow - enough has been said about Ashraful, th, Rob and Perm have said it all IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH Richard, I would care less to understand the First-chance average theory, then almost anything in this world.

Its pure theoretical nonsense you only bring up, when someone you decide isn't any good does well, IMHO. That or "luckiness".
No, not in your opinion - in your perception. And you typify as well as anyone the lack of understanding. You cannot have an opinion, because you do not understand. And without understanding there can be no counter-comments that can be taken seriously.
If you will make such risible comments, expect to be ribbed.
I'll "rib" back anything thrown my way - simple as.