• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best(current) commentators

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What? Sivaramakrishnan is easily the worst one. He hasnt provided one bit of useful or insightful or memorable or #hype piece of commentary in his life. Even other commentators people have a problem with provide something of value at certain points in their careers. Siva is a black hole who sucks any and all joy from commentary.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

This is a pretty good list. Though I'd probably move Sanga and Athers up to fair and Ponting, Karthik, Bumble down to fair. Healy probably deserves a conditional "fair" in a similar way that Smith can sometimes be bloody excellent but is generally just alright.
Ponting is as good as it gets, unless you find him a bit boring which is a fair opinion to have.

can't agree with moving Healy up to anything. He's truly awful.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
there's no defending it. it's a knock out game in a world event and the entire box was cheerleading india and went into national mourning when they lost. don't whataboutery with michael holding, who hates everything this century equally.
They used to have the good sense to keep these shenanigans confined to the Hindi comms.

vcs

They used to have the good sense to keep these shenanigans confined to the Hindi comms.
Hey I followed the entire WC on Hindi commentary on Hotstar, wasn't bad at all, it was better than the English counterpart.

Granted they probably had their best ones in that event, it's pretty mediocre in the random JAMODI series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And LS is good when talking about spin. Seems to get more DRS calls right before replays too. They should only bring him in when there are spinners operating, tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
(from the other thread) i liked lawry. his passion for the game overpowered his bias, and i don't think he was that biased he just blew up at good play and because of the team he was commentating it was usually australia. he'd jizz all over any foreign boi who dun gud too.

whereas you could damn well tell the semi final comm box knew who were paying their bills and were there to guzzle until they choked. even simon doull crossed the aisle for that sweet sweet ipl cash.

the only two who stayed normal were ian smith, who just doesn't give a ****, and michael clarke who people might not always agree with but he really stood out during the entire tournament for a) not being a miserable **** (i think he got paired with the likes of holding, warne, mccullum etc poor guy) b) offering diverse opinions without repeating them ad nauseum and c) not getting on his knees to guzzle.

i didn't expect to be much of a fan since while i've always respected his ability to put his life aside to bat and bat and bat i've never really been able to take blokes who chirp away safely behind their fast bowler seriously. he wouldn't have opened his mouth if england had 2005 harmison. but the guy can bat, the guy can skipper and i think he's an underrated commentator.

he actually notices what skippers are doing on the field and commentates on it without going full chappell or mccullum which i enjoyed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't really agree with the rest of your post, or at least most parts of it, but yeah, Clarke is gold as a commentator.

morgieb

I kind of agree with what you're saying about Clarke, the problem is 1. he says it in a manner that's very off-putting and 2. while he doesn't bang on about his opinions ad nauseum ala Warne he still has a compulsive need to sprout one. Realistically he's the sort of guy that'd make a fine radio commentator but doesn't work very well on TV.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It might be because the rest are dweebs (aside from Wasim) but I’ve quite enjoyed listening to Warne in the current Test.

Flem274*

123/5
warne tends to imitate those around him. put him with dickheads, he's a dickhead. put him with happy people, he wets his pants with excitement during a close game. put him with nerds, he shows his scheming bowler side.