• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best innings of the tournament?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thoughts?

It may not have been the absolute best, but I'm going to kick off with an honourable mention for Angelo Mathews' 73* on one leg against England.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, gotta be Kohli, the fact that he didn't lose his head while Yuvraj was trying to imitate his innings in the 2014 WC final (where Kohli was blazing at the other end) was what stood out to me.

Samuels played a similar role tonight tbf, was excellent.

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
Thoughts?

It may not have been the absolute best, but I'm going to kick off with an honourable mention for Angelo Mathews' 73* on one leg against England.
Angelo failed to get his team over the line so not for me.

Samuels innings tonight because it was the final with kohli's vs aus a very close second.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kohli over Samuels mainly because Kohli literally won it himself. Samuels' knock was very very good obviously, but they potentially don't get over the line without Carlos. Kohli pretty much ended the game before the last over after a win almost being impossible 12 balls earlier.

Kohli's knock was also on a trickier pitch to bat on.

Both very good though obviously.

Root vs. Saffers was gun as well.

vcs

Angelo failed to get his team over the line so not for me.

Samuels innings tonight because it was the final with kohli's vs aus a very close second.
Thinking about it, that was indeed a fantastic innings, it was played under harder circumstances than the other two, keeping them in the match till the 20th over after being 15/4 and **** all support from the rest (ok, Kapugedera wasn't completely **** as usual that day and Perera and co. chipped in with a few big hits). It was pretty miraculous that they were even in with a shout till the end.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Thinking about it, that was indeed a fantastic innings, it was played under harder circumstances than the other two, keeping them in the match till the 20th over after being 15/4 and **** all support from the rest (ok, Kapugedera wasn't completely **** as usual that day and Perera and co. chipped in with a few big hits). It was pretty miraculous that they were even in with a shout till the end.
Doesn't matter if you fail to finish the job as he did. Kohli finished the job as did samuels. That's the difference between a great and a good innings.

vcs

They failed because the target was higher, the starting situation was worse, and the support cast was poorer.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Kohl's knock against Australia may be one of the best innings I have ever seen period, so hard to get past it for the purpose of this conversation.