• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Birthday Honours

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Looked it up, and its interesting - Hadlee was the last to be knighted by the Queen in 1990, and was the only cricketer to be put forward in the honours list before he had stopped playing. So that kind of dispels my theory.

Richards wasn't actually knighted until 1999, but by the Antiguan government.
That's interesting, thanks for that. I didn't know Richards' knighthood was conferred on him by the Antiguan govt.

I tried looking at the list of Bharat Ratna awardees (which I assume would be our equivalent of the knighthood), and there hasn't been a single sportsman so far. It almost seems like you have to be a musician or win a Nobel prize to be bestowed it :p

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, the laws governing the stuff have obviously changed since Bradman's day. Up to the Australian government if they want to confer any awards on people now.

FWIW though, if any living cricketer is worthy of a knighthood for 'services to the game,' then surely, surely it'd have to be Richie Benaud.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the australian government switched to their own orders/awards/medals/title/whatever the **** it's called system in the late 70's. pig iron bob/Robert Menzies would have been one of the last to get knighted,