• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boycotting the Olympics?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
no offense but that's a seriously hypocritical attitude by the developed nations...they wanted the globalization in the first place because they wanted expanding markets for their products...so they talked/coerced a lot of developing countries into doing it...and they didn't give a hoot about the local industries in those developing markets succumbing to the assault of global competition....well finally they are getting their global markets...just forgot that global trade works both ways, didn't they(and it is not as if the playing fields are anything close to level even now)? after all this, it is so stupid to hear the moaning and groaning about industries/work going to so-called 3rd world countries and a newly developed sense of "patriotism"....sorry clapo i know this is off-topic and the rant is not directed specifically at you but i see this sort of attitude a lot around me nowadays and the hypocrisy just sickens me...
What he said x2 food miles be damned:cool:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I certainly will be, to an extent. Usually I find it hard to get away from the TV even for sleep during the Olympics, but for the reasons you mentioned (mostly the Chinese government) I won't be taking much of an interest this time.

I've got a family friend in the NZ rowing team so I'll watch her races, not planning to watch much more than that though. Having said that, I'll still find it hard not to watch when there's a NZer in with a strong medal chance.
So, as you said, you'll rarely be watching :happy:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm totally against steroids...now. I did take them for a while though to make me smaller for the ladies:

Aww yeah
That`s right baby.
Girl, tonight we`re gonna make love. You know how I know, baby? `Cause it`s Wednesday. And Wednesday night is the night that we make love. Tuesday night`s the night that we go and visit your mother, but Wednesday night is the night that we make love. `Cause everything is just right conditions are perfect. There`s nothing good on TV. Conditions are perfect. You lean in close and say something ***y like, "I might go to bed I`ve got work in the morning." I know what you`re trying to say baby. You`re trying to say, "Oh, yeah. It`s business time. It`s business time."

It`s business.
It`s business time.
That`s what you`re trying to say you`re trying to say let`s get down to business it`s business time.

It`s business.
It`s business time.
Next thing you know we`re in the bathroom brushing our teeth. That`s all part of it, that`s foreplay. Then you go sort out the recycling. That`s not part of it but it`s still very important. Then we`re in the bedroom. You`re wearing that ugly old baggy t-shirt from that team building exercise you did for your old work. And it`s never looked better on you.

Oh, team building exercise `99.

Oh, you don`t know what you`re doing to me.
I remove my jeans but trip over them `cause I still got my shoes on. But I turn it into a ***y dance.
Next thing you know I`m down to just my socks and you know when I`m down to just my socks what time it is?it`s time for business. It`s business time.

It`s business.
It`s business time.
You know when I`m down to just my socks it`s time for business that`s why they call it business socks.

It`s business.
It`s business time.
Oh.
Ooh, makin` love.
Makin` love for two.
Makin` love for two minutes.
When it`s with me you only need two minutes, `cause I`m so intense. Two minutes in heaven is better than one minute in heaven. You say something like, "Is that it?" I know what you`re trying to say. You`re trying to say, "Aww yeah, that`s it." Then you tell me you want some more. Well I`m not surprised. But I`m quite sleepy.

It`s business.
It`s business time.
Business hours are over. Right, right.

It`s business.
It`s business time.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
no offense but that's a seriously hypocritical attitude by the developed nations...they wanted the globalization in the first place because they wanted expanding markets for their products...so they talked/coerced a lot of developing countries into doing it...and they didn't give a hoot about the local industries in those developing markets succumbing to the assault of global competition....well finally they are getting their global markets...just forgot that global trade works both ways, didn't they(and it is not as if the playing fields are anything close to level even now)? after all this, it is so stupid to hear the moaning and groaning about industries/work going to so-called 3rd world countries and a newly developed sense of "patriotism"....sorry clapo i know this is off-topic and the rant is not directed specifically at you but i see this sort of attitude a lot around me nowadays and the hypocrisy just sickens me...
Your rant may be incoherent and factually innacurate, but the jist of it is right. Protectionism makes my blood boil.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Your rant may be incoherent and factually innacurate, but the jist of it is right. Protectionism makes my blood boil.
why is it incoherent, because i used lower case throughout? and factually there is nothing inaccurate about it although the post didn't go into details...it is the truth, i have seen/experienced both aspects of the issue...

Craig

World Traveller
I would say that if you ask a pointed question, most people would say they don't like steroids and wish they didn't exist. On a practical level, no one cares. And if you ask if it would be worth it to you if your entire team was pumped full of steroids if it means you could win a championship, you'd get an overwhelming yes.

Not as many. The question is, does it affect my enjoyment, or popularity of the sport because of it? The answer is a resounding no, at least from me.

Athletes have gotten bigger and stronger "naturally" too, via better nutrition, supplements and training. Steroids, as far as I am concerned, are just other supplements. To me, the line is very blurred. After a weight lifting session, many players take over the counter or prescribed protein shakes that pretty much do what steroids do, to a lesser degree. The line we draw in terms of what is legal and what isn't is extremely arbitrary.

That's the big elephant in the room no one wants to talk about. At what point does a substance become too good to take? Where is the line there?
If a team has to pump themselves full of drugs to win something, then they can't be that talented in the first place, either that if everybody else is pumped full of drugs so you have to have a shot in the first place, then it is a greater issue that needs to be adressed.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm sick of the drug cheating in sports, frankly it is fraud, sporting wise at least, and the greater the effort to stamp it out, the better IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If a team has to pump themselves full of drugs to win something, then they can't be that talented in the first place, either that if everybody else is pumped full of drugs so you have to have a shot in the first place, then it is a greater issue that needs to be adressed.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm sick of the drug cheating in sports, frankly it is fraud, sporting wise at least, and the greater the effort to stamp it out, the better IMO.
Again, I ask where is the line drawn in terms of which supplements are OK and which are not? It's weird to make the statement that you don't want chemists involved in sport - but guess what? Every supplement is designed by chemists.

And yes, everyone is shot, so it evens out.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I certainly will be, to an extent. Usually I find it hard to get away from the TV even for sleep during the Olympics, but for the reasons you mentioned (mostly the Chinese government) I won't be taking much of an interest this time.
Hmm, that didn't last long.

My indifference lasted until the day before the Opening Ceremony...but it's the Olympics!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It wasn't because she was old, it was because she was ugly. The officials admitted as such, then changed their story to 'old' when they realized what douchebags they sounded like.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It wasn't because she was young, it was because she was ugly. The officials admitted as such, then changed their story to 'old' when they realized what douchebags they sounded like.
haha, yeah I figured the reason was a little more looks-related than her age; that photo could be from any hentai flick you care to name.

Not that I've seen any. :ph34r:

Not like the Chinese heirarchy to be so cognisant of public perception, though; usually they would have just told the world to get over it. Truth is, they're no different to everyone else, just more public about it.

pasag

RTDAS
Honestly, thought I wouldn't bother with these games at all, not for political reasons, but just because I didn't care. However, have now watched more of these Olympics than any other, besides maybe Atlanta when I was away 'sick' from school for two weeks. Have really gotten into it even though Australia have done worse then the previous couple of games, gold medal wise.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haven't seen much live due to work but have followed most things really closely through the BBC live commentary and watched highlights-a-plenty at home.

Nothing will ever come close to 96 for me though, summer holidays, staying up all through the night.

Worst night of my life when Edwards got silver and Christie DQd on the same night :(