• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boycotting the Olympics?

Agent TBY

International Captain
Haha, the Olympics.

The real beef I have with China is their environmental policies. It's going to lead to their self-destruction anyway, so meh.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Haha, the Olympics.

The real beef I have with China is their environmental policies. It's going to lead to their self-destruction anyway, so meh.
And everyone else's self destruction..

Still, at least I don't feel guilty about driving around in a 4 cab pickup truck.. China build 100 coal fired power stations for fun, so any green muppets should be directing their attention at where the problem really lies..

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I probably won't be tuning in.. Could say the same about tennis, a sport that nobody cares about in the UK for 51 weeks a year, suddenly is splashed all over the papers, why?
So the sane people in the country can follow and laugh at our latest great white hope's disastrous campaign falling to pieces without actually having to watch a ball.

Langeveldt

Soutie
"Come on Tim/Andy!" - Makes me cringe so much.. A sport that we are so consistantly woeful at should be banned tbh..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I wouldnt touch 'em. To me it is clearly cheating so Ill never do it. Im quite cut and dried like that. I hate those that put their selfish motives above that of the sport.

In fact it really angers me.
Well, that's great that you wouldn't, and I am sure there are people like you. But if you have a family, and few other skills in the job market, those steroids could be the difference in getting to the bottom of the major leagues (and still making millions) vs. not getting there at all. If you wouldn't use steroids, you're a better man than I because I'd use them in an instant if it means millions vs. nothing. An instant and I wouldn't be morally conflicted about it either. Who cares about the sport? I've got a family and a future to secure. If I get caught in a year, well I probably made more in that year than ten years outside anyway. If I can keep it going, well that's just great too.

Steroids increase power and all those things, but what a lot of people use it for are their injuries. Recovering from injury quicker is a huge advantage in sport, and you see people doing that all the time, especially as in many cases, you stop being tested when you're injured. Even in cricket, Warne's primary motivation was probably injury prevention. While guys like Akhtar/Asif did it for the muscle and power.

Either way, I don't see the big deal. It's just steroids. I certainly don't see it as being anti-sport as many other things that go on. Baseball breaks attendance and money records all the time, despite the massive use of steroids. NFL is by far the most successful competition in the US (and could be the world because while soccer is bigger, every single team in the NFL churns out millions in profit), and you know what you get when you first test positive for steroids? A confidential warning. Then suspension for four games on next violation. A player recently said that about 50-70% of NFL players are pumping steroids.

And you know what? I don't care. I love the sport and I enjoy every minute whether it was being pumped full of steroids or not. I said this before, but if the Philadelphia Eagles win the superbowl next year, and it comes out that every single player on the team was pumped full of Nandrolone, you know what would happen? The whole team would get a parade anyway, they'd be lauded all the same, and I'd be the first person there when they get the parade. I'd say good for them, Philadelphia needed the championship and I'm glad they got it for us, doing what it takes without getting caught. When a large percentage of people are using, it evens out and its perfectly fine. The problem is when the regulations are strict and only few people can use. It's when that happens that a few people have an advantage that no one does. But even then, good for them for beating the system. It's the job of the regulatory agencies to keep the game fair and even, and its the job of the players to push those limits.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Warne never tested positive for steroids.
He tested positive for a banned steroid masking substance during a time he was recovering from injury, an injury he recovered from far quicker than usual players would. But whatever, that's not the point of my paragraph.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I probably won't be tuning in.. Could say the same about tennis, a sport that nobody cares about in the UK for 51 weeks a year, suddenly is splashed all over the papers, why?
Yeah but no one gives a crap about what the UK think about tennis though. It's still a great sport, and followed worldwide.

No one cares because they don't have any one of any quality, barring a weasel Scot. If Murray somehow won the Aus Open watch the papers flaunt his mug on the front page.

Events in the Olympics, worldwide, is seriously only followed by many once every four years (two years if you include some Cth Games events). Its quite weird.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah but no one gives a crap about what the UK think about tennis though. It's still a great sport, and followed worldwide.

No one cares because they don't have any one of any quality, barring a weasel Scot. If Murray somehow won the Aus Open watch the papers flaunt his mug on the front page.
Nah, we do care. Rusedski won the BBC Sports Personality of the year just for making the US Open final. We don't care about Murray so much because he's a bit of a ****.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Does the UK care about a non-Wimbledon tournament when no Brits are doing any good though? If so, that's cool.

On Rusedski, he was a confusing chap. Seemed to me that he was a bit bitter that Henman would receive so much attention even though Greg won more tournaments than him. Good player for a few years though.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, we do care. Rusedski won the BBC Sports Personality of the year just for making the US Open final. We don't care about Murray so much because he's a bit of a ****.
:laugh:

Does the UK care about a non-Wimbledon tournament when no Brits are doing any good though? If so, that's cool.

On Rusedski, he was a confusing chap. Seemed to me that he was a bit bitter that Henman would receive so much attention even though Greg won more tournaments than him. Good player for a few years though.
I'd say they get a decent following. My Dad phoned me instantly in January to tell me of Federer's exit from the US Open, there are plenty of people I see in work constantly checking scores for matches that don't involve Murray.

Not a big Tennis fan myself like but I'd say it does get a decent following. And Wimbledon, sure every year there is hype over whoever the British #1 is, but there is also a big appreciation for the great players. It was just as popular prior to Henman/Rusedski when we never had anyone doing anything.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Events in the Olympics, worldwide, is seriously only followed by many once every four years (two years if you include some Cth Games events). Its quite weird.
Because a lot of the events occur without much media attention or coverage. This is a chance to see the best of the best perform and prove it. I am actually interested in seeing who wins the 100 metres, 200 metres, long jump, pole vault etc etc. but don't have the time or desire to follow it outsides of the Olympics.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointed to read the last sentence tbh, Australian made ftw.
no offense but that's a seriously hypocritical attitude by the developed nations...they wanted the globalization in the first place because they wanted expanding markets for their products...so they talked/coerced a lot of developing countries into doing it...and they didn't give a hoot about the local industries in those developing markets succumbing to the assault of global competition....well finally they are getting their global markets...just forgot that global trade works both ways, didn't they(and it is not as if the playing fields are anything close to level even now)? after all this, it is so stupid to hear the moaning and groaning about industries/work going to so-called 3rd world countries and a newly developed sense of "patriotism"....sorry clapo i know this is off-topic and the rant is not directed specifically at you but i see this sort of attitude a lot around me nowadays and the hypocrisy just sickens me...

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Well, that's great that you wouldn't, and I am sure there are people like you. But if you have a family, and few other skills in the job market, those steroids could be the difference in getting to the bottom of the major leagues (and still making millions) vs. not getting there at all. If you wouldn't use steroids, you're a better man than I because I'd use them in an instant if it means millions vs. nothing. An instant and I wouldn't be morally conflicted about it either. Who cares about the sport? I've got a family and a future to secure. If I get caught in a year, well I probably made more in that year than ten years outside anyway. If I can keep it going, well that's just great too.

Steroids increase power and all those things, but what a lot of people use it for are their injuries. Recovering from injury quicker is a huge advantage in sport, and you see people doing that all the time, especially as in many cases, you stop being tested when you're injured. Even in cricket, Warne's primary motivation was probably injury prevention. While guys like Akhtar/Asif did it for the muscle and power.

Either way, I don't see the big deal. It's just steroids. I certainly don't see it as being anti-sport as many other things that go on. Baseball breaks attendance and money records all the time, despite the massive use of steroids. NFL is by far the most successful competition in the US (and could be the world because while soccer is bigger, every single team in the NFL churns out millions in profit), and you know what you get when you first test positive for steroids? A confidential warning. Then suspension for four games on next violation. A player recently said that about 50-70% of NFL players are pumping steroids.

And you know what? I don't care. I love the sport and I enjoy every minute whether it was being pumped full of steroids or not. I said this before, but if the Philadelphia Eagles win the superbowl next year, and it comes out that every single player on the team was pumped full of Nandrolone, you know what would happen? The whole team would get a parade anyway, they'd be lauded all the same, and I'd be the first person there when they get the parade. I'd say good for them, Philadelphia needed the championship and I'm glad they got it for us, doing what it takes without getting caught. When a large percentage of people are using, it evens out and its perfectly fine. The problem is when the regulations are strict and only few people can use. It's when that happens that a few people have an advantage that no one does. But even then, good for them for beating the system. It's the job of the regulatory agencies to keep the game fair and even, and its the job of the players to push those limits.
Then why not just legalise it in the first place then?

Sorry but I couldn't disagree anymore. I would rather watch guys who are using their own natural ability then some douche who's "achievements" have been done through the work of major Corporation.

These guys should go on holiday in America.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Then why not just legalise it in the first place then?

Sorry but I couldn't disagree anymore. I would rather watch guys who are using their own natural ability then some douche who's "achievements" have been done through the work of major Corporation.
Define natural ability? It's a fairly arbitrary line which supplements we ban and which we don't. Most athletes will take supplements of some kind. Even if they are pumped full of nandrolone, it's still their muscles, which were gotten through better supplements than the normal protein shake available at your local store.

Where's the line drawn? And if it can't be enforced, and there is very little benefit in drawing it, what purpose does it serve?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SS, out of interest, is this a common opinion round your way?
I believe it is. Most of the NFL players are Drug Cheats and it is teh most popular sport. Baseball was more popular when Drug Cheats were breaking the Home Run record. One has to assume that it is a fairly accepted in North America.

Craig

World Traveller
Well giving out piss weak "punishments", I am not surprised. In countries like France they would run the risk of going to jail on the basis of "Sporting fraud". Same applies in Italy, Belgium, Germany, Spain, and Holland IIRC.

I mean how many guys in the MLB would be breaking home run records if it wasn't for drugs?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SS, out of interest, is this a common opinion round your way?
I would say that if you ask a pointed question, most people would say they don't like steroids and wish they didn't exist. On a practical level, no one cares. And if you ask if it would be worth it to you if your entire team was pumped full of steroids if it means you could win a championship, you'd get an overwhelming yes.

I mean how many guys in the MLB would be breaking home run records if it wasn't for drugs?
Not as many. The question is, does it affect my enjoyment, or popularity of the sport because of it? The answer is a resounding no, at least from me.

Athletes have gotten bigger and stronger "naturally" too, via better nutrition, supplements and training. Steroids, as far as I am concerned, are just other supplements. To me, the line is very blurred. After a weight lifting session, many players take over the counter or prescribed protein shakes that pretty much do what steroids do, to a lesser degree. The line we draw in terms of what is legal and what isn't is extremely arbitrary.

That's the big elephant in the room no one wants to talk about. At what point does a substance become too good to take? Where is the line there?