• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

James

Cricket Web Owner
This is very interesting from CricInfo - http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/iccct2008/content/current/story/365156.html.

So Australia and New Zealand would be replaced by Bangladesh and Ireland. England and South Africa pull out too, then we'd have Zimbabwe and Scotland would we :blink:

The ICC will meet players from England and South Africa next week and much could depend on their reaction. Were only one country to decline to send a side, then the ICC would in all likelihood replace them with Bangladesh, ranked ninth in the ODI rankings at the time of the qualification cut-off date in March. Were two to back out then in theory Ireland, ranked tenth, would be invited.

brockley

International Captain
I gather so unless they move the toruanament.
The icc is so badly organised.
lame the asian bloc for this 1,we all knew no one would play in pakistan.

Precambrian

Banned
South Africa could tour the country for a whole test series just some time back. India, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka all toured there for a cup just a month back. And yet these black c(r)aps cant tour.

WhatisRight

School Boy/Girl Captain
New Zealand are more hesitant to go for a large number of reasons, and given what has happened in the past when we've toured Pakistan I don't blame them.
They toured one year after the blast took place near their rooms. So that really cant be the reason. You really have to be clear about this and for me this is simple, the only reason they are not touring is because australia took a stand first and then teams like NZ, SA and Eng are going along with this stand even though security will be immense. the place isnt ideal for these teams since they cant really enjoy over there and will probably get stuck in their rooms. If security was such a big issue then why would india tour when probably thats the worst enemy?

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I really think this should be sorted out one way or another by now, and to be honest I'm starting to not care less what the decision is... I think there is a lot of damage being done to cricket right now with this argueing that could take ages to sort out. The continuing dithering cannot be helpful to anyone:

- unhelpful to Pakistan cricket, once they know what the situation is, whatever it is, they can get on with best organising the tournament
- unhelpful to the broadcasters as they can't build up to the tournament
- unhelpful to players families... weeks of media conjecture about whether their loved ones are going to 'get blown up' must be upsetting
- unhelpful to the ICC as the longer it goes on the most incompetent they look
- unhelpful to the fans, by now we'd normally be starting to debate teams and outcomes of games.

And now I see on cricinfo that Zimbabwe cricket has decided not to ratify the decision to skip the T20 world cup next year, so now we're going to have to go through that whole palava again.

ARGH!

pup11

International Coach
TBH, with so much instability in Pakistan currently, i don't think its fair to force any team to come and play cricket there, i mean if SA, AUS, NZ and ENG don't take part in this series than what's the point of holding such a tournament, when so many teams have a problem touring Pakistan, then i don't think ICC should be so stubborn on holding the tournament only in Pakistan.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
TBH, with so much instability in Pakistan currently, i don't think its fair to force any team to come and play cricket there, i mean if SA, AUS, NZ and ENG don't take part in this series than what's the point of holding such a tournament, when so many teams have a problem touring Pakistan, then i don't think ICC should be so stubborn on holding the tournament only in Pakistan.
I agree. The problem is instability in pakistan at the moment. With the current situation i wont push any team myself. Pervez musharraf resigning adds to the uncertainty of the political situation and no matter how much security you have they cant stop all suicide bombings or anyother sort of terrorist attacks becuase everything is not under the governments control which also means the security issues. If anyone wants to call some teams making excuses then so be it and they will rightly wana take advantage with teams not wanting to go at all because pakistan is far from an ideal place to be at.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree. The problem is instability in pakistan at the moment. With the current situation i wont push any team myself. Pervez musharraf resigning adds to the uncertainty of the political situation and no matter how much security you have they cant stop all suicide bombings or anyother sort of terrorist attacks becuase everything is not under the governments control which also means the security issues. If anyone wants to call some teams making excuses then so be it and they will rightly wana take advantage with teams not wanting to go at all because pakistan is far from an ideal place to be at.
I think it will be really sad if teams decided not to go, but I can definitely see why they wouldn't want to in the current climate.

I don't think it helps that the head of the PCB has just stood down, after all surely he is the man who the buck stops with in terms of the organisation of the tournament.

I really hope if teams pull out, the ICC/PCB/other boards will try to make some kind of situation where there is a plan for going back as soon as possible rather than descending into arguing. I think if everyone works together and tries to understand each others issues things would be much better.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Expected. Hopefully, they use the same logic and not tour India, considering all the bombings recently. And their players boycott the IPL.
But as far as i know india is not in a political mess as pakistan is. The indian government took much control of the recent series of blasts in ahmedabad. You really cant compare security issues that of india and pakistan, there is a clear difference.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Top emotionless rationale.

(face)
OK. Explain why Sri Lanka or India, especially Sri Lanka, is safer. ICC seriously has no spine. There should be massive fines for any board that doesn't tour (in the millions), if ICC has deemed it safe. If it can't deem it safe, then a tournament shouldn't take place.

Of course, individual players can decide for themselves, but the boards should face heavy penalties for not sending a side (even if its a 3rd XI).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The whole 3rd XI thing is a bit contrived though.

It's like, ECB, "Kevin, Andrew, you guys are too important so you stay at home. Where's Kabir Ali, and how about Liam Plunkett, it doesn't matter if they get blown up!"

If a board has been advised that a country isn't safe I don't see why they should send any of their players there.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The whole 3rd XI thing is a bit contrived though.

It's like, ECB, "Kevin, Andrew, you guys are too important so you stay at home. Where's Kabir Ali, and how about Liam Plunkett, it doesn't matter if they get blown up!"
No, the board should let anyone who wants to stay home, stay home. And then pick from the ones who are willing to play, whether that's first XI or third XI.

If a board has been advised that a country isn't safe I don't see why they should send any of their players there.
By whom? The Sun? ICC says its safe, the Australians who have lived there say its safe. The security team that went there says its safe.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No, the board should let anyone who wants to stay home, stay home. And then pick from the ones who are willing to play, whether that's first XI or third XI.
Yeah, I'm fine with this, just "send a 3rd XI" suggests something different to giving players the choice

By whom? The Sun? ICC says its safe, the Australians who have lived there say its safe. The security team that went there says its safe.
Read on cricinfo earlier that Aus had been advised not to go

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/iccct2008/content/current/story/365525.html