• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions Trophy Groups

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Very interesting groups, wouldn't be surprised to see three teams tied on two wins each TBH. New Zealand have a very reasonable chance to qualify for the semis IMO with a comparably weaker pool.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
apologies if there's a thread on this
from cricinfo

---

Group A Australia (1), India (4), Pakistan (5), West Indies (8)
Group B South Africa (2), New Zealand (3), Sri Lanka (6), England (7)
----
Group A is tougher than group B (that is common sense disregarding what ICC rankings say)...It should be tough competition between first 3 teams of group A for semi-final spots....Having said that, the methodology for dividing the 2 groups is not questionable; it's true and transparent, and probably fair.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The one thing is that the dew always afffects day and night games in Pakistan to a huge extent. The toss could end being extremely crucial in this tournament.....

I think dew plays a bigger role there compared to even day and night games in India... Not sure exactly. Maybe some one with better knowledge in geography and geology and climatic conditions can correct me here, but does the fact Pakistan is not bordered by water play any part in the amount of dew we see over there?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funny thing is, the dew in Pakistan tends to have the same effect all the time, whereas in India (and also Sri Lanka), it varies.

In India, it's resulted both in conditions becoming crazily seam-friendly and in bowling becoming very difficult due to the wet ball (and sometimes it's also had no notable effect). In Pakistan, always it seems to be the latter - the non-bracketed latter. In India it generally seems to depend on time of year - in October, it's more often a case of seam-friendliness, in March, more often sopping-ball-syndrome. Whereas in Sri Lanka it more often seems to vary from venue to venue regardless of time of year - in Dambulla day\nighters always make seam-friendly into very seam-friendly, whereas in Columbo day\nighters the night never seems to have much effect.

Does anyone know, also, what time the games in the Champions Trophy will start at? I've seen games in Pakistan that've tended to be starting at 1PM, but then also games that start at 10AM (earlier than a day game would start over here :blink:). These decisions seem to have been influenced by the dew, but starting earlier has never seemed to me to solve any problems at all.

Xuhaib

International Coach
The one thing is that the dew always afffects day and night games in Pakistan to a huge extent. The toss could end being extremely crucial in this tournament.....

I think dew plays a bigger role there compared to even day and night games in India... Not sure exactly. Maybe some one with better knowledge in geography and geology and climatic conditions can correct me here, but does the fact Pakistan is not bordered by water play any part in the amount of dew we see over there?
Usually in Pakistan we get Day/evenings games which means the match starts at 11 a.m and it goes uptill 7 p.m so due dosen't play up as a huge factor.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Usually in Pakistan we get Day/evenings games which means the match starts at 11 a.m and it goes uptill 7 p.m so due dosen't play up as a huge factor.
yeah... but I do remember that Independence Cup of Pakistan in 97, they were day/night games and the dew was a HUGE factor.

Hopefully, this time we will avoid it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Haha...lets see will Aussies defend their title or will they chicken out again.
Dire. If it's moved, I trust the "love" towards Australia will be shared around then?
Yeah pretty good chance of it moving away i'd say.
Yeah interesting that it's in Pakistan, I'm hoping for cricket's sake that things get better over there.
I can't see it being moved considering there are more teams that are happy to play in Pakistan, then teams that don't want to travel. Will be interesting to see what happens though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ind33d, ill-informed stuff like this is oft good for a laugh... well, would be if it wasn't so ridiculously damaging for the game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Cant see how this tournament has any relevance or draws any interest.

Would anyone notice or care if it disappeared?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We'll only see about that once we get more than 1 event that's well-organised. The last one was - this one appears likely to be (if all goes well in the safety and secureness department).

I've long said that the Champions Trophy, if given the chance, can be the 2nd-biggest multi-team event on the cricket calender after the World Cup. On the other hand, it can (and has several times) been a meaningless waste of time and effort, especially the 2002 and 2004 competitions. What it cannot be is both of these at the same time. It is either one or the other.